Craig Puki has died

RIP! #44

Nov. 10, 1979: Tennessee 40, #13 Notre Dame 18

Tennessee's Hubert Simpson moved into the starting lineup and the Tennessee record book all in one day, sparking the Vols to an impressive victory over a top-15 Notre Dame squad, much to the delight of the 86,497—which was UT's largest home crowd to date—that packed into Neyland Stadium on that cloudy November Saturday.

Simpson's four touchdowns from his fullback position tied a UT record, as the junior netted 117 yards to overshadow Notre Dame's great Vagas Ferguson, who totaled 88 yards on the ground.

Tennessee racked up 441 yards of total offense, but it was a goal line stand at the end of the first half that served as a decisive moment. Notre Dame had just scored and appeared headed for a third touchdown when Craig Puki and Chris Bolton blasted Ferguson inches short of the goal line.

The goal posts were torn down by Tennessee fans following this win.

I was there, great memory.

I was there, great memory.

Since this was awhile ago, anyone remember the altercation that went on in the stands in the south end zone not far from where the POTSB sits today? I was in the upper deck looking down so my details are what I could see but not verified. There was this ND fan dressed like a leprechaun - hat and all. He was a vocal fan and causing quite an uproar with his provocative outfit. A much taller UT student came down, shredded his hat, and placed it back on his head. I recall the ND fan was led out of the stands for making a scene. I remember everyone cheering the student and when the ND fan was led out. Of course there was no social media so I never learned the true or real story.

Very saddened to hear of Craig’s death. Prayers for the family at this time of great loss.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Was on my first deployment to Japan. The game was on Armed Forces radio, but I spent that night (16 hour time difference) on top of a Soviet sub transiting in the SOJ. Post game coverage in Stars and Stripes was nonexistent. It was tough to be a Vol fan in WestPac before satellite TV much less streaming.

INTERESTING READ

May God Bless You & All of Yours!
Thank you so much for your service to this country.
RIP PUKI

VN Store

Back