Countdown to September 1st vs Ball State (Top 250 Vols)

57 days……

#57 - Casey Clausen

Clausen never was an All-American. He was never 1st team All-SEC. He did win! The “Ice Man” is second in UT history with 34 career wins, and was 14-1 on the road. That is one of the most impressive stats I’ve ever known. He was 4-0 vs UK, Vandy, and South Carolina, won 3 games vs Bama and Arkansas, and best hated UF twice. The stats are great…..75 TDs, 9,707 yards passing, and the longest (90 yards) pass play in UT history……but those don’t tell the whole story. Clausen was just a winner. His play wasn’t always the prettiest, but he got the job done better than most anyone. His accolades include Freshman All-SEC, Citrus Bowl MVP, and 2000 2nd team All-SEC by The Sporting News. In the distinguished list of greatest Vols, Clausen is greatly under appreciated. He’s second all-time in passing yards, second all-time in TDs, second in career wins, and is the greatest road winner in school history. Case closed! Clausen never made it to the NFL after being cut by the Chiefs, but his legacy is cemented in Knoxville.

19255656-633C-45B2-BDF6-95BBE2EBE8C8.png

57 days……

#57 - Casey Clausen

Clausen never was an All-American. He was never 1st team All-SEC. He did win! The “Ice Man” is second in UT history with 34 career wins, and was 14-1 on the road. That is one of the most impressive stats I’ve ever known. He was 4-0 vs UK, Vandy, and South Carolina, won 3 games vs Bama and Arkansas, and best hated UF twice. The stats are great…..75 TDs, 9,707 yards passing, and the longest (90 yards) pass play in UT history……but those don’t tell the whole story. Clausen was just a winner. His play wasn’t always the prettiest, but he got the job done better than most anyone. His accolades include Freshman All-SEC, Citrus Bowl MVP, and 2000 2nd team All-SEC by The Sporting News. In the distinguished list of greatest Vols, Clausen is greatly under appreciated. He’s second all-time in passing yards, second all-time in TDs, second in career wins, and is the greatest road winner in school history. Case closed! Clausen never made it to the NFL after being cut by the Chiefs, but his legacy is cemented in Knoxville.

View attachment 470567
I became a fan of the Ice Man early on after watching him scramble for positive yardage after losing his helmet against Bama. Definitely one of my all-time favorite Vols.

57 days……

#57 - Casey Clausen

View attachment 470567
They brought back the VOLS letters to Neyland, can we bring back the old numbers on the jerseys too? If you use your imagination, Clausen’s 7 looks like the power T, that got lost when Nike put out the new look.

57 days……

#57 - Casey Clausen

View attachment 470567

Anytime I think of him, I think of a game in which we needed short yardage and it was a QB keeper. Casey went up and sorta fell clumsily over the line for the first down. The announcer said he "looked like an octopus falling out of a tree". What a mental image!

57 days……

#57 - Casey Clausen

2001 team won at tuskalooser, gainesville, south bend, and neutral vs. michigan.

56 days……….

#56 - John Michels

From the TN Sports Hall of Fame……

“Sportswriter Stanley Woodward, in his 1952 “Football Magazine,” described John Michels as being “Inordinately quick, combative and hard-running,. . . an effective blocker on the line and one of the Tennessee players most likely to be found blocking ahead of the runner twenty-five yards down the field. He is a remarkably clean blocker, with body control which makes it possible for him to fake a defender into position to be obliterated.” Michels, a Philadelphia native, was a 5’10”, 195-pound offensive guard on the 1950-1952 Tennessee Volunteer teams. He provided the blocking up front that allowed Vol tailback Hank Lauricella, a fellow All-American and a College Football Hall of Fame inductee, to rush for 881 yards in 1951, a school record that stood for twenty-one years. During Michels’ years at Tennessee, the Vols amassed a 29-4 record under Coach Robert Neyland. They played in the Cotton Bowl twice, the Sugar Bowl once, and captured the 1951 national championship. Michels provided blocking that allowed the 1951 Vols to average 306.8 rushing yards per game and to score forty touchdowns, both school records. Michels concluded his collegiate years as an All-American in 1952; All SEC in 1951 and 1952; Jacobs Trophy recipient, given to the best blocker in the SEC, in 1952; and College all-star participant in 1953. He then played in 1953 and 1956 for the NFL Philadelphia Eagles and in 1957 for the CFL Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Then after coaching one year at Texas A&M, Michels returned to Winnipeg as an assistant coach in 1959 and helped the Blue Bombers capture three CFL Grey Cups. He coached twenty-seven years with the NFL Minnesota Vikings, participating in four Super Bowls (1970, 1974, 1975, and 1977) and eight divisional playoffs. John Michels’ contributions to collegiate and professional football are well known and a source of pride for the state of Tennessee.”

658BE189-430E-4BA9-98E6-8218480DC164.png

My guess would be one of the MacArthur's. Probably son. Shortly before he became West Point Supe.
This was my guess too.
That’s not Alvin C York, is it??
mee three
Looks like Charles deGaulle to me.

Nope, Nope, Nope. Although I did get a chuckle out of that last one!

The man in question is Michael Collins, the "Big Fella," possibly the man most responsible for Ireland's independence. He took part in the 1916 Easter Rebellion, the Irish War for Independence, the negotiations that established the Irish Free State and finally the Irish Civil War. He was commander-in-chief of the Irish National Army when he was assassinated in an ambush in 1922 at the age of 31.

michael-collins-1890-1922-irish-nationalist-11521023.jpg

VN Store

Back