Couldn't Have Been Prouder of Our Team

LawVol13

Here's my thoughts on the game after returning from St. Louis.

1) Chism and Prince were warriors again. Their elevated play brought us to that point.

2) Melvin Goins absolutely goes 110% all the time on defense. Very impressive.

3) The only thing I would have done different if I was Bruce would have been to play Tatum more and Hopson less against Mich. State.

4) If Brian Williams plays at this level next year, we once again will be very, very formidable at the post with Harris coming in.

5) Bruce Pearl completely has my support; going to the elite eight and being one bucket away from the Final Four with this team considering what happened was nothing short of remarkable.

6) Scotty Hopson is the most disappointing recruit I can ever remember at Tennessee. His not contesting the three hit by a Mich. State player (not sure who it was) that gave them the lead with around 2 minutes to go was absolutely inexcusable. To me, Cam is the better player.

7) Finally, our team, with the exception of Hopson, left it all on the floor and absolutely played their hearts out. When the buzzer sounded, even though we lost, I couldn't have been prouder of our team, our coach, and our program.

Go Vols!

not contesting the three hit by a Mich. State player (not sure who it was) that gave them the lead with around 2 minutes to go was absolutely inexcusable. To me, Cam is the better player.

It was Durrel Summers, the single most important guy you couldn't let get an open look from the outside....I saw Izzo run that same play against UNI with the same result....Pearl should use this video to teach the Vols how to screen, Mich State's screens were extremely well set and extremely effective

Nice post. Agree with pretty much everything. I'm just so sad to see these seniors go. I wanted them to get to Indy so bad...

Agree 100%. The Vols made our state proud.....what an effort. They earned alot of respect around the country.

Great post. The key thing here is that the coaches learn from this tournament experience and change their style of play permanently.

And about this talk of Hopson entering the draft: I couldn't care less. If he wants to go, then good riddance. We don't know the kind of attitude that he brings to this team.

6) Scotty Hopson is the most disappointing recruit I can ever remember at Tennessee. His not contesting the three hit by a Mich. State player (not sure who it was) that gave them the lead with around 2 minutes to go was absolutely inexcusable. To me, Cam is the better player.

Go Vols!

I agree 100%.

This loss really hurts, I can't seem to get over it. To make matters worse is they lost to Michigan State, a team I am so sick of hearing about, essentially the Buffalo Bills of college basketball. Such a close game that I tought Tennessee deserved to win, truly a heartbreaker.

Great post. The key thing here is that the coaches learn from this tournament experience and change their style of play permanently.

And about this talk of Hopson entering the draft: I couldn't care less. If he wants to go, then good riddance. We don't know the kind of attitude that he brings to this team.

Hopson thinks he'll go pro? What round? He didn't produce much this year?:blink:

WTBS, I don't think John Wall will go first overall, considering he might have, had he came out of HS. New rule hurt his draft stock a lil? IMO...

Agree. The loss hurts, but being one play away from the Final Four is outstanding. Especially when this team could have went the opposite direction on January 1 and not even made the tournament. There is nothing for our players to hang their heads about.

I hope Hopson has a great NBA career.

He is a bad player. I am willing to bet there is a greedy agent behind this whole Hopson going pro thing.

Never said he would be successful. Since so many on here frown upon "bashing" a player, I'm just trying to be encouraging and positive. Therefore, I hope Hopson goes and has a wonderful career.

1) Chism and Prince were warriors again. Their elevated play brought us to that point.

2) Melvin Goins absolutely goes 110% all the time on defense. Very impressive.

3) The only thing I would have done different if I was Bruce would have been to play Tatum more and Hopson less against Mich. State.

4) If Brian Williams plays at this level next year, we once again will be very, very formidable at the post with Harris coming in.

5) Bruce Pearl completely has my support; going to the elite eight and being one bucket away from the Final Four with this team considering what happened was nothing short of remarkable.

7) Finally, our team, with the exception of Hopson, left it all on the floor and absolutely played their hearts out. When the buzzer sounded, even though we lost, I couldn't have been prouder of our team, our coach, and our program.

Go Vols!

Good post. Re:
1. Agreed. I was always a big fan of Chism, but have never been terribly willing to give Prince his propers. So, props to JP Prince on a great tournament. We certainly don't beat tOSU without him, and I'm not sure we would have been close against MSU.

2. Goins on-ball D against MSU was tenacious. He got me fired up just watching him.

4. Or what if he plays even better?

6. Imagine the player you would get if you could take JP Prince's moxie and inject it into Scotty Hopson. I'm envisioning a slightly poorer man's Evan Turner. Problem is, I'm pretty sure moxie doesn't work like that.

Nice post. Agree with pretty much everything. I'm just so sad to see these seniors go. I wanted them to get to Indy so bad...

Agreed, in the moment it makes me wish for one and dones bc it sucks so bad, That's the worst thing about the loss yesterday, not that we didn't make it to the final 4, but the fact that we will never get to see see JP, Bobby, and Wayne suit up in UT orange again

There's no way Hopson gets drafted--that's for sure. He's the new Vincent Yarbrough---a legend only in his own mind.

VN Store

Back