Could Majors have won a NC here?

Would Majors have eventually won a NC here?

• Yes

Votes: 85 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 115 57.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I get a kick out of people who think they knew how much John drank.
I know exactly how much he drank, he probably would have seen me be born if my family invited him. Weekends / with friends, or during a fun event. Not much different than the average American. Some people act like he woke up puking and had a fifth on his night stand and downed it before rolling out of bed. I bet Lane Kiffin drinks more.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Right. My grandfather was very very close friends with him, practically best of friends. Majors wasn't an alcoholic. He enjoyed alcohol and was a socialite. He didn't sit there withdrawing all clammy when he woke up! I'd say he was a functioning drinker, not an alcoholic. Alcoholics cannot go 4 hours without a drink, or you would know; I lived with one (not family, my friends dad.). It is on par with benzos and opiates withdrawal, he wouldnt be able to coach, 24 hours is deathly territory. My grandfather didn't drink much at all. He also had a heart attack before Majors, some people think it is correlated like that for Majors.
Having an occasional, extra Scotch can be quite healthy

If you haven't realized, OP is Phillip Fulmer. He posts 1 to 3 threads a week, hilarious threads once you catch on, trying to pump his legacy. The OP lives in 1998, hasn't skipped a beat. Relishes every second of his own glory. It's why we don't worship Fulmer these days. Had he no ego, I'd be wrong. But he just had to be the "main character" for the vols, and destroy his beautiful legacy over the years. Had fulmer left when he did and retired, he'd be loved by all, even with the dark ending years.

OP loves to say schizo tier **** like "If only I had a sabbatical, I needed a little break, and would have brought dozens of more championships" but Fulmer is so droolingly senile he was a Pruitt guy with no discernment for modern football
This is mind blowing 🤯 info. Phil Fulmer posts to VN.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Right. My grandfather was very very close friends with him, practically best of friends. Majors wasn't an alcoholic. He enjoyed alcohol and was a socialite. He didn't sit there withdrawing all clammy when he woke up! I'd say he was a functioning drinker, not an alcoholic. Alcoholics cannot go 4 hours without a drink, or you would know; I lived with one (not family, my friends dad.). It is on par with benzos and opiates withdrawal, he wouldnt be able to coach, 24 hours is deathly territory. My grandfather didn't drink much at all. He also had a heart attack before Majors, some people think it is correlated like that for Majors.
FWIW, John never had a heart attack.

Reactions: ArdentVol
If he couldn't win one with the talent that was here from 89-92, he was never gonna win one. Johnny always went too conservative in big games. For someone who was always saying "Attack, Attack, Attack, never could figure out why he coached so scared in big games.

Besides, Fulmer handed him a great shot at the National Championship in 1992 but Johnny came back and blew 3 straight games, 2 of which were against terrible teams. Vols hired Johnny 4 years too late and kept him about 2 years too long.

Reactions: volncleveland
I remember going into the ‘95 season every one seemed to be against Fulmer promoting Chavis to DC. Then as that and subsequent seasons played out, everyone forgot about that.

I wonder, had Fulmer left to be HC at another program, would Chavis and Cutcliff followed or, would they have stayed behind to be with Majors?

We may never know but it is a good hypothetical question. To answer that one, you have to wonder where Randy Sanders would have ended up, too.
To that I would posit that one of John’s greatest coaching strengths was identifying young coaching talent. All you need to confirm is check his coaching tree. Jimmy Johnson, Jon Gruden, Jackie Sherrill., etc. John would have been just fine without either and might possibly have even upgraded.

I remember Darryl Dickey being a struggle in last half of the year. What I had forgotten until I just looked it up… GT actually went 9-2-1 that year and finished in the top 20?!
Yep they had the Black Watch defense...I remember it well because thier fans kept yelling it the entire game lol

Reactions: Volfan1000
Do you think had he not been let go in favor of Fulmer during the ‘92 season, he would have won a NC here and, if so, before the ‘98 season?

Regardless if he had stayed out the ‘92 season or won the power struggle, Fulmer would have been gone to another program. Would Fulmer have taken coaches with him or would they have stayed? I, for one, was glad that we, the legions of the miserables had Fulmer and thus our ‘98 NC. But, had Majors remained the HC, I don’t ever see him winning a NC. Now, to be fair, it took Fulmer many years to get us to the top. Seems Johnny’s teams were too up and down week to week. Beat a good Florida team then turn around and lose to a good Bama team then tie an average to good team like Auburn.

Also, seems to me the coaching style difference between the two also separates them. Fulmer was more of a players coach and more hands on; at a time we need both.

If Majors had inherited a better roster, he could have possibly won a natty at Tennessee.

He was a solid recruiter and a fair game day coach.

And people who call him Johnny didn’t know him at all.
Never said I did my grandfather died when I was a toddler and I never knew him but he donated 500k in 80s money to UT and never helped my mom's student loans lol.

Never said I did my grandfather died when I was a toddler and I never knew him but he donated 500k in 80s money to UT and never helped my mom's student loans lol.
I knew a man who left his estate of 3 million to the University of the South, where John’s dad coached, and didn’t leave his daughter a dime. She buried him in a shipping crate.

If Philmer could do it in '98 the way it all played out, definitely Majors could have also. Don't have to be a great coach, just need great luck.
The '98 team was loaded at every position and with depth--ALL due to PF's recruiting. Loved JM, but doubt he would have had that much talent and cohesiveness needed to win it all.

I voted NO because he was too conservative on offense. If he had a 3 point lead in the first quarter, he would run the ball up the middle in what looked like an attempt to run time off the clock. He was known for 3 plays up the middle and punt. SMH

I voted NO because he was too conservative on offense. If he had a 3 point lead in the first quarter, he would run the ball up the middle in what looked like an attempt to run time off the clock. He was known for 3 plays up the middle and punt. SMH
This has always been a false narrative. Majors ushered in one of the most innovative offenses in the land. There were times he got conservative during a game, but mostly your post is BS for the context you are using

Do you think had he not been let go in favor of Fulmer during the ‘92 season, he would have won a NC here and, if so, before the ‘98 season?

Regardless if he had stayed out the ‘92 season or won the power struggle, Fulmer would have been gone to another program. Would Fulmer have taken coaches with him or would they have stayed? I, for one, was glad that we, the legions of the miserables had Fulmer and thus our ‘98 NC. But, had Majors remained the HC, I don’t ever see him winning a NC. Now, to be fair, it took Fulmer many years to get us to the top. Seems Johnny’s teams were too up and down week to week. Beat a good Florida team then turn around and lose to a good Bama team then tie an average to good team like Auburn.

Also, seems to me the coaching style difference between the two also separates them. Fulmer was more of a players coach and more hands on; at a time we need both.
Coulda won in 1989. All he had to do was beat Bama

This has always been a false narrative. Majors ushered in one of the most innovative offenses in the land. There were times he got conservative during a game, but mostly your post is BS for the context you are using
Only thing wrong with your post is I watched every game he coached here. There were a few exciting plays, but for the most part, watching his offense was like watching paint dry and everyone knew he was going to run the ball up the middle.

Only thing wrong with your post is I watched every game he coached here. There were a few exciting plays, but for the most part, watching his offense was like watching paint dry and everyone knew he was going to run the ball up the middle.
That may have been true through the mid 80s, but by the late 80s he was running 3 and 4 WR sets and throwing it around way before that was cool. I’d bet that if you look up Andy Kelly’s Senior year and maybe Peyton Manning’s Soph/Jr years, you’d find a similar number of throws.

That may have been true through the mid 80s, but by the late 80s he was running 3 and 4 WR sets and throwing it around way before that was cool. I’d bet that if you look up Andy Kelly’s Senior year and maybe Peyton Manning’s Soph/Jr years, you’d find a similar number of throws.
They started throwing it all over the place when Walt Harris became OC.

Simply not true from 1984 through 1992

Just my opinion which means nothing but my thought and vote is No, Nope, Nada.. The game at that time was passing him by or bye! 3 yards and a cloud of dust wasn't paying the bills anymore as the game was evolving. Mr. Majors was a fine coach, won some GREAT games but also Lost many, some inexcusable.....example "what is a Rutgers"

GBO

Reactions: Vol524

I do remember towards the end of his career, the plays were ultra conservative with the saying “three yards and a cloud of dust”.

Then, beginning in ‘92 when Fulmer took over, we were flying all over the field! The only handicap I give Fulmer was that he was similar towards the end of his career. Seemed he waited for or wanted too much luck to bail us out.

VN Store

Back