Could Jack Jancek Be A Pleasant Surprise?

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
If you must, proceed to laugh.
Jack Jancek, redshirt freshman, WR, 6' 5" 215LBS. Got height, has been here for a while, it seems to me. Not sure how he remains a freshman, as I think he was enrolled while his dad was coach at the UT during the Butch era. Given his size and the coaching acumen of Kodi Burns, I wonder if we will spring an effective mismatch up surprise on our opponents. Orange you wondering if this is possible too?

Reactions: HighWaterVol
Jack Jancek, redshirt freshman, WR, 6' 5" 215LBS. Got height, has been here for a while, it seems to me. Not sure how he remains a freshman, as I think he was enrolled while his dad was coach at the UT during the Butch era. Given his size and the coaching acumen of Kodi Burns, I wonder if we will spring an effective mismatch up surprise on our opponents. Orange you wondering if this is possible too?
You might be thinking of his brother Brock who is a walk-on on the basketball team?

Reactions: BigDave
He made some athletic plays in the Orange and White game. It would be great to see him be developed into a good role player.

If JJ is a major contributor in the future, then recruiting has failed us IMO. Doesn’t mean he won’t be a quality scout team player, but I’d be surprised if he plays much SEC ball for us.

He could do well. Good hands, good size, getting stronger, lots of fight. He has made it into 5 games so far and seems to be contributing as a blocker which is the fastest way to get more time as a WR. Will he transform into a TE over time?

The WR room has exceeded my expectations top to bottom. I don't know if I've ever seen a team run this many TD routes (even if the QBs haven't always delivered).

He could do well. Good hands, good size, getting stronger, lots of fight. He has made it into 5 games so far and seems to be contributing as a blocker which is the fastest way to get more time as a WR. Will he transform into a TE over time?

The WR room has exceeded my expectations top to bottom. I don't know if I've ever seen a team run this many TD routes (even if the QBs haven't always delivered).
He’ll need to hit the weight room hard and add around 20-35 lbs to be an effective TE. Would really like to see that. I think our TE’s have played well this season, but I would love to see a dynamic athlete at that position .

I think the gritty white guy WR role has already been filled by Walker Merrill.

I wouldn't count the guy out, though.

Reactions: Rifleman
He has that Brandon Myles (Pat White- WVU teams) feel . If I remember , he was recruited more as a safety than WR , but ended up being an important part of their offense to make their running game be one of the nastiest in the country in the mid 2000s . I could see Jancek in a similar role.

You might be thinking of his brother Brock who is a walk-on on the basketball team?
I think Jack lives in the Knoxville area and actually had a very nice catch in the Spring game. Showed good hands and speed on a long TD reception. I have no idea how he plays the other facets of the position, but it was fun to see his catch last Spring.

Reactions: BigDave
Jack is a fierce competitor. He played QB until his senior year because he was the best option, though he wanted to be a WR all along. He transitioned to WR his senior year and did well. He’s faster than he looks and he’s tough as nails, at that level. He knows he has to earn playing time. High football IQ as well.

If JJ is a major contributor in the future, then recruiting has failed us IMO. Doesn’t mean he won’t be a quality scout team player, but I’d be surprised if he plays much SEC ball for us.
I am curious. What is this based on? We have had walk on players become contributors in the past, regardless of recruiting.

Reactions: Alto1
I am curious. What is this based on? We have had walk on players become contributors in the past, regardless of recruiting.

Yeah, it's ironic the post you replied to had JJ walk-on in it. It made my mind go back to Vol great and walk-on JJ McCleskey who almost quit but Majors talked him in to staying because he seen a future for him. He earned a scholarship later and is/was a Great VFL. I think he's an assistant Coach at Tulane now , not sure.

Reactions: VAVol85
I think he made several good catches and was impressive in the O&W game.

I hope he gets more chances in some more of our real games.

He just might surprise some people.

VFL...GBO!!!

With Bailey gone, we have to have someone to suggest playing time for it sounds like.
🤣
Well Bailey did hit him a few times in the O/W game so maybe it's a package deal.(the suggest playing time, not him leaving like HB)

He's got the height and weight, anyone know his 40 speed?

VN Store

Back