Corporate overreach or corporate right?

AshG

Easy target
I wish that we knew the company involved in the attached letter (and had another way to verify its veracity and accuracy).

If I understand most state laws correctly, companies have the right to act in their best interests when it comes to employee behavior and decisions. But I would not feel comfortable pushing an employee to make long term financial decisions on an expensive purchase just to maintain employment.

Glad this is such a booming economy where we can expect the employee to find the same job with equal or better pay at a company less likely to pull these shenanigans.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1579656352934.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579656352934.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 60
I wish that we knew the company involved in the attached letter (and had another way to verify its veracity and accuracy).

If I understand most state laws correctly, companies have the right to act in their best interests when it comes to employee behavior and decisions. But I would not feel comfortable pushing an employee to make long term financial decisions on an expensive purchase just to maintain employment.

Glad this is such a booming economy where we can expect the employee to find the same job with equal or better pay at a company less likely to pull these shenanigans.

No way that is real.

Reactions: tennvols77
I have a hard time buying that.

Only thing would be if it's in an employment agreement or something for some high end/visible jobs. But even still seems low.

Not claiming it's real. Still trying to dig up more info.

Totally dick move if real.

Actually I can see that being real. Especially in a sales/sales rep image. I’ve known several people who are required as part of their job to maintain a certain image of which a newer and well maintained vehicle are part of that image since they make customer calls. However in all of these cases I believe they also receive a vehicle allowance.

Actually I can see that being real. Especially in a sales/sales rep image. I’ve known several people who are required as part of their job to maintain a certain image of which a newer and well maintained vehicle are part of that image since they make customer calls. However in all of these cases I believe they also receive a vehicle allowance.

I’d book first class every flight, stay in the four seasons, and dine at Michelin three star joints. All in the name of keeping up appearances.

No way that is real.

It can be. Employees represent their employer both on and off duty and when you reach a certain level and compensation it’s not unreasonable for an employer to have expectations. If this was a salesperson that drives their own vehicle they should have expected it.

I’d book first class every flight, stay in the four seasons, and dine at Michelin three star joints. All in the name of keeping up appearances.
Hey if you’ve got a generous company reimbursement plan why not?

Again we don’t have all of the information here. Is this individual receiving a car allowance as part of their compensation? Are there specifics in their employment contract that might require a newer well maintained vehicle? Again I’ve known people that had vehicle requirements leveled on them as they used their personal vehicle in conducting company business. However they all received fairly generous vehicle allowances also.

We really need more information to draw any sort of a conclusion frankly.

Reactions: hog88
Hey if you’ve got a generous company reimbursement plan why not?

Again we don’t have all of the information here. Is this individual receiving a car allowance as part of their compensation? Are there specifics in their employment contract that might require a newer well maintained vehicle? Again I’ve known people that had vehicle requirements leveled on them as they used their personal vehicle in conducting company business. However they all received fairly generous vehicle allowances also.

We really need more information to draw any sort of a conclusion frankly.

The way it’s worded is fishy. If the person had a car allowance it would have certainly been mentioned since the author mentioned knowing what their salary is and should be able to afford a nicer car.

Not claiming it's real. Still trying to dig up more info.

Totally dick move if real.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it is real but I agree it would be a real Richard move by the employer.

My former employer does not allow employees to ride a motorcycle on company business. Another form of overreach and I laughed about being able to deliver parcels of catalyst to FedEx on my old Beemer after my “retirement”. But in this case of the employee driving a cr*p car, it seems they may be trying to uncover a suspected personal problem such as gambling or drug addiction as much as anything.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is real but I agree it would be a real Richard move by the employer.

My former employer does not allow employees to ride a motorcycle on company business. Another form of overreach and I laughed about being able to deliver parcels of catalyst to FedEx on my old Beemer after my “retirement”. But in this case of the employee driving a cr*p car, it seems they may be trying to uncover a suspected personal problem such as gambling or drug addiction as much as anything.

Maybe the dude’s frugal and knows a car isn't a great investment. Drive it until the wheels fall off.

Reactions: tennvols77
Maybe the dude’s frugal and knows a car isn't a great investment. Drive it until the wheels fall off.
That’s perfectly plausible and why shouldn’t he? Smarter than I am if that’s the case lol.

The way it’s worded is fishy. If the person had a car allowance it would have certainly been mentioned since the author mentioned knowing what their salary is and should be able to afford a nicer car.
Just no idea honestly. If the individual has no stipulations in their employment agreement and they are not receiving any compensation with an expectation that it will be spent on transportation then it sure looks like a really nosy company that should mind their own business.

One of my good buddies had a sweet deal like this. He was a local rep for electronics suppliers. Always wanting to do dinner on his expense acct, sporting event tickets, etc.. and he had a pretty generous reimbursement plan. I had to always tell him I can’t do that due to my company rules, I work for a DoD contractor. We did things together for sure but I had to pay my own way. He’s retired now so there isn’t a conflict. Just easier to manage things now 🤷‍♂️

I could see someone sending an email like this to the new owner of one of those hideous Tesla trucks.

Reactions: DC_Vol
Can’t blame you. I’m a lifetime Million Miler with United(Continental) but I hate to fly and since 2010 have only flown about once a year. i may even drive from Houston to DC in May for my daughter’s graduation.

VN Store

Back