Coronavirus (No politics)

Connecticut Patient Had COVID for 471 Days, Evolved 3 New Lineages: Study
The Connecticut cancer patient continuously tested positive for COVID-19 at high levels and appeared to evolve multiple new lineages of the virus

COVID BA.5: CT Patient Infected for 471 Days, Evolved 3 New Lineages – NBC New York

the authors added "(these) distinct genotypes appeared to emerge as early as within the first three months of the infection, although new genotypes were detected after nearly ten months, suggesting multiple novel variants may simultaneously emerge and potentially spread from the same immunocompromised individual over a longer sampling period."

This thing hit my household pretty good this week. Started with the wife, she had a fever and a wicked cough, tested positive Saturday. Sunday it got to our 11 month old. Poor little guy was fussing in his crib at about 4:30 AM, I went to get him and he was burning up so bad that it terrified us. Temp was 105. Almost took him to the ER, but the on-call pediatrician said give him Tylenol first and that brought it down.

They are finally on the mend, but I tested positive yesterday. Felt like I had been ran over by a truck. Better today though.

Symptoms for this thing are just all over the place. None of us ever lost taste/smell, my wife had a brutal cough but I didn’t, but my throat is killing me which she never dealt with.

This thing hit my household pretty good this week. Started with the wife, she had a fever and a wicked cough, tested positive Saturday. Sunday it got to our 11 month old. Poor little guy was fussing in his crib at about 4:30 AM, I went to get him and he was burning up so bad that it terrified us. Temp was 105. Almost took him to the ER, but the on-call pediatrician said give him Tylenol first and that brought it down.

They are finally on the mend, but I tested positive yesterday. Felt like I had been ran over by a truck. Better today though.

Symptoms for this thing are just all over the place. None of us ever lost taste/smell, my wife had a brutal cough but I didn’t, but my throat is killing me which she never dealt with.

Glad you are on the mend. That is scary for the baby to get it.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
So my symptoms are all pretty much gone and I feel much better, but today my sense of taste and smell is reduced. Not gone, I can taste some things, but not everything.

I know loss of taste and smell are common, but did anyone else experience reduced senses of it?

I had Buffalo sauce today and tasted it fine. Tasted mustard fine. Can’t taste corn chips, couldn’t taste my chicken biscuit I had this morning. I can taste soft drinks.

So my symptoms are all pretty much gone and I feel much better, but today my sense of taste and smell is reduced. Not gone, I can taste some things, but not everything.

I know loss of taste and smell are common, but did anyone else experience reduced senses of it?

I had Buffalo sauce today and tasted it fine. Tasted mustard fine. Can’t taste corn chips, couldn’t taste my chicken biscuit I had this morning. I can taste soft drinks.
Glad you're starting to feel better

Wait a few weeks and see what things taste like. Most people that have their sense of smell and taste affected don’t experience a distorted version of those senses until a month or so later.

Reactions: TC 83

BIL and his tribe tested positive day after we all returned from beach. I tested neg 4 days later. Ive had my booster.

How my family and I avoided it, no idea. Heck, we may have gotten it. Kids & wife all had flu last month, which they got at VBS.

We know four families who have or had Covid this month, including family our yard connects with - kids were out playing Friday. They were out of quarantine, just told them I thought their one kid with bad cough should stay away.

Hope you get to feeling better. Safe to say we will all get Covid at some point, just a matter of when.

I did. And I also didn't experience it until a few days in to have symptoms. Everything tasted kinda dull, I could barely smell vinegar when I took a whiff and couldn't smell my dogs breath lol.

Reactions: oz615
The American Airlines website really isn't clear about their testing requirements for domestic flights. They have plenty of info if you are leaving or entering the country, but I'm wondering if they have any testing requirements for domestic flights.

The American Airlines website really isn't clear about their testing requirements for domestic flights. They have plenty of info if you are leaving or entering the country, but I'm wondering if they have any testing requirements for domestic flights.
I recently flew with delta, and we didn't have to wear a mask. Between Atlanta airport and ft Lauderdale, I barely saw anyone wearing one, so I'd guess domestic nobody is requiring masks, or tests. That's just me guessing though

They all dropped masks domestically when the court made the decision. Back to normal if flying domestic. Don't believe they ever required testing when flying domestic within the 48 states. I think Hawaii had some for awhile.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
They all dropped masks domestically when the court made the decision. Back to normal if flying domestic. Don't believe they ever required testing when flying domestic within the 48 states. I think Hawaii had some for awhile.
I'm not so much concerned about masking as much as I am having to get a COVID test.

No requirement for masks (but respect other's choice) or negative test/vaccine. Flew them last week.

That tweet is missing the key point about the study. The best protection was a hybrid immunity with vaccination plus prior infection especially with ba.2
1657613206613.jpeg
1657613302322.jpeg

While it seems in Qatar that most people got their 3rd shot just a few months before the end of this study it matches what we are seeing in other studies that 3 doses protects well against severe disease regardless of previous infection and 2-3 doses+prior infection of a non-omicron strain provides pretty broad immunity against these omicron subvariants. More so than prior infection particularly with 3 shots. However don’t know how applicable this study is currently given that Ba.5 is a completely different beast than Ba.1 and Ba.2. Prior infection isn’t providing much protection against symptomatic disease against ba.5 nor is prior vaccination more than 3 months prior to exposure. However vaccination is holding up really well against hospitalizations.
It should be noted that they used a test-negative method in their study. This is what israel and most countries do to look at vaccine efficacy in a large population. This is an easier way to find efficacy but this study doesn’t take into account that the people more likely to have severe outcomes from covid and to be exposed to covid are more likely to be vaccinated. Outside of age this study and most do not take that into account so vaccine efficacy is likely much higher.

I'm not so much concerned about masking as much as I am having to get a COVID test.
Flew Allegiant to Dominica two weeks ago. No masks, no tests. There were maybe 3 people on the plane wearing a mask, nobody at the resort or out and about in DR. It was great.

No requirement for masks (but respect other's choice) or negative test/vaccine. Flew them last week.
It says something online about having to complete some form 72 hours before departure. It really is not clear what the hell is going on with domestic travel. This screen capture is for entering the US, but there's nothing I can find about domestic. And I've tried calling but always end up with one of those automated deals, not a real person.

1657642926433.png

It says something online about having to complete some form 72 hours before departure. It really is not clear what the hell is going on with domestic travel. This screen capture is for entering the US, but there's nothing I can find about domestic. And I've tried calling but always end up with one of those automated deals, not a real person.

View attachment 472187

There is nothing to complete. Fly normally if domestic. Just expect long lines and possible cancellations or delays.

VN Store

Back