Coronavirus (No politics)

Oh, a recent review of the 20 top spread communities in the country revealed that 19 of them have mask mandates... so there's that too.

I take the virus serious. I don't take the pseudo-science behind "mask up" serious. Show me good evidence and I'll wear a mask. I have not found even one person who pointed to that "good evidence" in these past several months. The "studies" when someone even tries are either of symptomatic patients with other viruses or studies attempting to show protection for the wearer.

Reactions: Smellvin
Got my covid-19 antibodies test this morning. I’m halfway sure that I had it back in January. I exhibited all of the classic symptoms for a 48-72 hour period.

Please refrain from spreading misinformation. There has not been a SINGLE study demonstrating that non-symptomatic Covid positive people spread the virus or at what rate compared to those with symptoms. There HAVE BEEN studies of contact traces indicating that asymptomatic carriers rarely if ever spread the virus.

Further, there are NO published or reviewed studies showing that IF non-symptomatic people are capable of spreading the virus then masks are effective in preventing that spread. Even more, there are studies showing that masks were of minimal effectiveness even with other viruses and symptomatic subjects.

Where is the PROOF that a mask magically transforms into an effective barrier to the movement of the virus sometime between the time you inhale and exhale?

Im not going to go back and forth with you. You appear to have your mind made up. If you havent seen studies showing the efficacy of community mask wearing then you havent been looking very hard.

When a surgeon wears a mask its not to protect them. When you go to the doctor with the flu and they give you a mask to wear in the waiting room its not to protect you. This is not new science.

Im not going to go back and forth with you. You appear to have your mind made up. If you havent seen studies showing the efficacy of community mask wearing then you havent been looking very hard.
Yes. I have. More than that. I have honestly asked people such as yourself to cite those conclusive, objective studies. Preferably "peer reviewed".

When a surgeon wears a mask its not to protect them. When you go to the doctor with the flu and they give you a mask to wear in the waiting room its not to protect you. This is not new science.
You're right. It isn't science at all when it comes to non-symptomatic Covid carriers. I suspect if you had a real study showing it was... you would have posted it.

There were questions even before Covid about the efficacy of masks... even when worn correctly by trained professionals... even when well designed for the purpose of capturing particles that carry viruses. One such study that had been up since 2016 and widely accepted as credible and worthy of discussion... was taken down under pressure. There was healthy debate then... now... there is only dogma and heresy.

FTR, my plant has not had a single transmission case between our team. We have emphasized keeping distance and minimizing close contact. We installed bipolar ionization air filters in all of our indoor spaces... which kills viruses before they can spread. We have only required masks on a few occasions and then only when mandated by company policy. Last month, we had a large gathering inside and outside with around 150 people who traveled in from a wide area... Not a single transmission.

There ARE effective things we can and SHOULD be doing about this virus. Masks simply have not been proven to be one of them. If masks work... then why does the exact same "curve" occur when the virus hits an area regardless of the prevalence of masks or mask policies?

begin revisiting doctors' ofifices and chiropractor last month. thumbs down to doctors.
in 2 trips to 2 doctors' offices more than a handful of their employees were without masks; one doctor only wore a plastic shield only and at least three patients did not wear masks.
no issue in repeated trips to chiropractor.

Reactions: Go aeiou
There are several differences. First, it is known that the virus more likely spreads when someone has been in close contact with another for 15 minutes or more. I heard Ross Dellenger on radio yesterday, and he just did a big story on contact tracing. That's why there may be more concerns with basketball than football. The SEC requires football players to wear a device that keeps track of how close you are to people so that they can trace it if someone ends up positive. They have found that opponents are not really spreading the virus on the field because of how football is played. You tackle, and then go back to your side. Basketball is different.

Most people also don't hang around others for 15 minutes while they shop. Second, fans still cheer, scream, and talk while at games. While I avoid Wal-Mart, I don't think you find this for a two hour period in a store.

I have no issues with masks. They are better than nothing, and I am a believer that they help. However, they aren't 100% effective.
They’ve changed their story so many times it is ridiculous. We need to get back to life. Especially with the numbers we have now as far as how dangerous it actually is.

They’ve changed their story so many times it is ridiculous. We need to get back to life. Especially with the numbers we have now as far as how dangerous it actually is.

I'll be more than happy to take the bait, and yeah I'm assuming all this will get removed in a bit but hey you went there.

A) Not really. The beginning yes.....because we really didn't know what we were dealing with. But since then the message by scientists and the majority of doctors has been pretty consistent. Unless you mean politicians then yes, which is why you shouldn't listen to them unless they are merely passing along what the experts say.

B) But even if I grant you that, "changing the story" is pretty much how science works. The more information you gather, the more you know, which may change hypothesis, courses of action, etc. And that message has also been consistent, that as their knowledge grows the course of action may be changes. And this is a good thing.

C) "We need to get back to life".....yeah if we had listened and not rushed to "get back to life", we probably would be way closer to that now. This isn't magically going away no matter how many times you're told that. And yes I understand the economic realities, I know probably more than you considering I lost my job. But it's kind of hard to do things when you have morons who scream about "MUH FREEDOMS!" and refuse to wear masks and socially distance in stores and restaurants and ruins it for everyone. If they'd stop being babies and put on their damn masks, they'd get their precious buffalo wings. THEY are the ones you should be angry at for making putting a mask on political.

And that's the last I will say on the matter, because in the end we both want the same thing, to get back to normal.

Then why the rise in positive cases where masks are heavily mandated? Also in a previous post you alluded to when a surgeon wears a mask. I do hope you realize that there is a HUGE difference between a surgeon wearing a mask in surgery and a person wearing a mask in a grocery store. MAny countries around the world have had very strict mask mandates and still have had a rise in cases. Masks are for the most part ineffective.

I believe in opening up but we still have 200,000 +deaths. Percentages of death are meaningless if the virus is super contagious as it is.

No way to tell if that is an accurate number. Likely much less. Especially as there is no national standard about how COVID deaths are coded and recorded.

Then why the rise in positive cases where masks are heavily mandated? Also in a previous post you alluded to when a surgeon wears a mask. I do hope you realize that there is a HUGE difference between a surgeon wearing a mask in surgery and a person wearing a mask in a grocery store. MAny countries around the world have had very strict mask mandates and still have had a rise in cases. Masks are for the most part ineffective.

Please provide the data that shows rising % positive rising where mask mandates are in place.

Meanwhile, as counties around Nashville have let mandates expires, cases are going up...

Doctors: Tennessee immediately needs mask mandate as COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations rise

Same in Mississippi...
COVID-19 hospitalizations on the rise in Mississippi; governor issues new mask mandate for 9 counties

It’s happening in FL AGAIN after DeSantis loosened restrictions and barred local municipalities to enforce mandates...
COVID-19 Is Happening All Over Again in Florida

The Dakotas have %positive rates rivaling the summer surge in Arizona. No mask mandate.

Remember the Texas surge in July? Gov did a mask mandate and within a couple weeks they started to get control if it.

The list goes on and on.

Like I said before, masks are not a silver bullet but the evidence they help slow the spread is easy to find. The only thing a mask hurts is your feelings.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Please provide the data that shows rising % positive rising where mask mandates are in place.

Meanwhile, as counties around Nashville have let mandates expires, cases are going up...

Doctors: Tennessee immediately needs mask mandate as COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations rise

Same in Mississippi...
COVID-19 hospitalizations on the rise in Mississippi; governor issues new mask mandate for 9 counties

It’s happening in FL AGAIN after DeSantis loosened restrictions and barred local municipalities to enforce mandates...
COVID-19 Is Happening All Over Again in Florida

The Dakotas have %positive rates rivaling the summer surge in Arizona. No mask mandate.

Remember the Texas surge in July? Gov did a mask mandate and within a couple weeks they started to get control if it.

The list goes on and on.

Like I said before, masks are not a silver bullet but the evidence they help slow the spread is easy to find. The only thing a mask hurts is your feelings.
Guess who else is seeing an increase in cases? Areas with strict mask mandates and lockdowns. Cooler temps = more people indoors and better conditions for viruses to thrive. It's almost like this is a respiratory virus.

As for the "science" behind mask usage for viruses, there has been virtually no supporting data despite multiple studies over the past decades. One of the only RCTs actually found cloth masks a risk factor for spreading illness:

A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers

Real-world application: California enacted an early mask mandate (mid-June?), yet saw a continual increase in infection rate for over two months. In my county, only the smaller city school system required masks to be worn by students. They also were the only schools that closed down due to illness and went to an alternating-day schedule.

I'll be more than happy to take the bait, and yeah I'm assuming all this will get removed in a bit but hey you went there.

A) Not really. The beginning yes.....because we really didn't know what we were dealing with. But since then the message by scientists and the majority of doctors has been pretty consistent. Unless you mean politicians then yes, which is why you shouldn't listen to them unless they are merely passing along what the experts say.

B) But even if I grant you that, "changing the story" is pretty much how science works. The more information you gather, the more you know, which may change hypothesis, courses of action, etc. And that message has also been consistent, that as their knowledge grows the course of action may be changes. And this is a good thing.

C) "We need to get back to life".....yeah if we had listened and not rushed to "get back to life", we probably would be way closer to that now. This isn't magically going away no matter how many times you're told that. And yes I understand the economic realities, I know probably more than you considering I lost my job. But it's kind of hard to do things when you have morons who scream about "MUH FREEDOMS!" and refuse to wear masks and socially distance in stores and restaurants and ruins it for everyone. If they'd stop being babies and put on their damn masks, they'd get their precious buffalo wings. THEY are the ones you should be angry at for making putting a mask on political.

And that's the last I will say on the matter, because in the end we both want the same thing, to get back to normal.

Didn't most European countries have strict lock downs? I know Germany did ( I have friends there) and they are now locking down again. You can wear a mask, not wear a mask,
lock down, or open up and it won't make a difference. A virus is going to run its coarse. It sucks, but it is true.

Didn't most European countries have strict lock downs? I know Germany did ( I have friends there) and they are now locking down again. You can wear a mask, not wear a mask,
lock down, or open up and it won't make a difference. A virus is going to run its coarse. It sucks, but it is true.
Mask charts

Why we aren't letting a virus with a 99.9%+ chance of survival for most people run its course is beyond me.

VN Store

Back