Cornerback experience should pay off for the Tennessee defense in 2019

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss

How much did those young corners hold the defense back early on in the season? The two freshmen were met with the daunting task of facing one of the nation’s best passing attacks in week one. Will Grier and the West Virginia Mountaineers turned out to be everything they were hyped up to be, too. Grier ended up throwing for 429 yards and five touchdowns that afternoon, picking on Tennessee’s young and inexperienced secondary.

But as the year went on, Thompson and Taylor turned into a strength for the Tennessee defense. With a year of experience under their belts now, Jeremy Pruitt is hoping that Derrick Ansley will now have the freedom to get aggressive with pressure and trust his corners in man coverage.

“I think if you want to play the right style of defense, you have to have an aggressive mindset,” Pruitt said. “You have to put the opposing team kind of on their heels. I’ve always had a philosophy of lets try to get them before they get us. I think if you call the game that way and prepare your kids that way, they kind of take on that mindset.”

Our WRs and Secondary could go from good to elite this season. We got ball hawks on both sides of the ball and they will shine if we can improve in the trenches.

I'm pumped and ready for kickoff. My gut says we take a huge leap forward this season.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

How much did those young corners hold the defense back early on in the season? The two freshmen were met with the daunting task of facing one of the nation’s best passing attacks in week one. Will Grier and the West Virginia Mountaineers turned out to be everything they were hyped up to be, too. Grier ended up throwing for 429 yards and five touchdowns that afternoon, picking on Tennessee’s young and inexperienced secondary.

But as the year went on, Thompson and Taylor turned into a strength for the Tennessee defense. With a year of experience under their belts now, Jeremy Pruitt is hoping that Derrick Ansley will now have the freedom to get aggressive with pressure and trust his corners in man coverage.

“I think if you want to play the right style of defense, you have to have an aggressive mindset,” Pruitt said. “You have to put the opposing team kind of on their heels. I’ve always had a philosophy of lets try to get them before they get us. I think if you call the game that way and prepare your kids that way, they kind of take on that mindset.”

Our WRs and Secondary could go from good to elite this season. We got ball hawks on both sides of the ball and they will shine if we can improve in the trenches.

I'm pumped and ready for kickoff. My gut says we take a huge leap forward this season.

tenor.gif

Would have given you a "like" but the obnoxious picture lowers the intelligence of you post beyond the my ability to "like". I know, go on and tell me if f-off, but I just don't understand why an obnoxious picture should punctuate intelligent posts (not just yours) and in the case of your post, I fail to see a connection between the really good statement and the picture.

Would have given you a "like" but the obnoxious picture lowers the intelligence of you post beyond the my ability to "like". I know, go on and tell me if f-off, but I just don't understand why an obnoxious picture should punctuate intelligent posts (not just yours) and in the case of your post, I fail to see a connection between the really good statement and the picture.
Wth??

Midol is your best friend. No picture required in this post. Seriously, out of all the posters on this board you give Dduncan sh1t?

The Vols DB’s should be competitive and represent a bright spot in the defense, but, you know the old saying, it’s what’s up Front that counts and the success of the Defense, may very well be determined by the push they are able to get from the Defensive Line

Football time in Tennessee gets closer by the day...... Go Big Orange....... Go Vols!

Midol is your best friend. No picture required in this post. Seriously, out of all the posters on this board you give Dduncan sh1t?

Sorry all you guys thinking I am giving DD sh--. I thought I made it clear I liked his statement. (as I do most he provides) I do not see this "thing" about posting a picture when they don't add to or are the subject of a post.

He mentioned the word "gut". Pic is of a guy's gut. I get it.

Sorry all you guys thinking I am giving DD sh--. I thought I made it clear I liked his statement. (as I do most he provides) I do not see this "thing" about posting a picture when they don't add to or are the subject of a post.
No worries dude. Have a good time...it is VN. :cool:

Reactions: Vol_til_I_die
The secondary is the one part of the team that I'm not at all concerned about. I would also say I'm not concerned about the running backs but those poor boys don't have any blocking

tenor.gif
I don’t expect more than 7 or 8 wins this year. Especially if two sophomore corners are our reason to get as hyped as those Royals fans. I think Guarantano’s

tenor.gif
I am only expecting 6-8 wins this year—especially if two underclassmen corners are reason for hope. I also don’t think JG will be ready to go pro. I am in awe of people who think he suddenly is going to have a break out year and go pro. It is scary how detached from reality our fans are. However, I am no longer surprised.

I think we JG’s senior season has the potential to be something special—especially if Chandler sticks around. We have something like SIX RS Juniors on OL this year and if Trey is healthy, the pros may make him wait one more year to see if he can stay that way. That also gives our young DL more time to develop, those corners that are the cornerstone of this discussion (like what I did there?) and the receivers and safeties another year of development before entering the season.

I think we can realistically win the East that year. Especially co sidering these two articles:

Georgia football: Jake Fromm could leave after his junior and UGA will still be elite

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sa...a-qb-situation-play-out-mullen-want-2019/amp/

If both Georgia, Missouri AND Florida are figuring out their QB situation, it leaves the door wide open. Let’s just hope we look like a much improved team this year and at least go to a bowl.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
That corner duo is my main reason for optimism for next year. And then they’ll both be back another year, along with the number one JUCO CB in 2020!
They are, without a doubt, my favorite part of the team. For several years I've held to the idea that you can't have an ELITE defense without having an ELITE corner. It opens the door for so much. Now if a young pass-rusher emerges... watch out.

Reactions: Vol49er

tenor.gif

I hope you are right dd or it may be a long season again.

They were certainly thrown into the fire. They are experienced now and should hopefully provide some needed assistance to the defense since the d line is being replaced. As long as the line can provide run defense, our defense may be alright.

I don’t expect more than 7 or 8 wins this year. Especially if two sophomore corners are our reason to get as hyped as those Royals fans. I think Guarantano’s

I am only expecting 6-8 wins this year—especially if two underclassmen corners are reason for hope. I also don’t think JG will be ready to go pro. I am in awe of people who think he suddenly is going to have a break out year and go pro. It is scary how detached from reality our fans are. However, I am no longer surprised.

I think we JG’s senior season has the potential to be something special—especially if Chandler sticks around. We have something like SIX RS Juniors on OL this year and if Trey is healthy, the pros may make him wait one more year to see if he can stay that way. That also gives our young DL more time to develop, those corners that are the cornerstone of this discussion (like what I did there?) and the receivers and safeties another year of development before entering the season.

I think we can realistically win the East that year. Especially co sidering these two articles:

Georgia football: Jake Fromm could leave after his junior and UGA will still be elite

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sa...a-qb-situation-play-out-mullen-want-2019/amp/

If both Georgia, Missouri AND Florida are figuring out their QB situation, it leaves the door wide open. Let’s just hope we look like a much improved team this year and at least go to a bowl.

The reason im excited to see the defense this year with the corners is because they are talented enough to be put on an island by themselves and be ok. Theyll be able to be aggressive and the receivers will take more time to get open if they can and will lead to sacks and turnovers. Personally, i think the offense is more of a concern to me.

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL

If you find that pic obnoxious, don’t ever go to Cracker Barrel or Golden Corral as your sensibilities may be greatly offended and therapy can get expensive😎

Reactions: savannahfan
The reason im excited to see the defense this year with the corners is because they are talented enough to be put on an island by themselves and be ok. Theyll be able to be aggressive and the receivers will take more time to get open if they can and will lead to sacks and turnovers. Personally, i think the offense is more of a concern to me.
All depends on that OL. If the OL plays well, we will be pretty good.

Both Lines, offense and defense will define this edition of the Vols, unfortunately or fortunately, time will tell

Surely you are joking???

VN Store

Back