"Cool Story Bro" Thread

One time, Mike Shula was the coach at Alabama. Those days were the best. Here's to hoping they return soon

I miss Mike DuBose at "O Bama"
I miss Zook at Florida
I miss Mike Archer at LSU
. I miss Gerry DiNardo at LSU.
I miss Ray Goff at UGA.
I miss Brad Scott at USC.

Reactions: 1 person
P1040005.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
the day after a big game we went back to the stadium to take pictures ...this is when Peyton Manning was playing...we was driving down the street in front of the stadium taking pictures and we drove by Manning himself and some of his buddies....so we turn the car around to go and get a picture of him but he was nowhere to be found...so we figured they musta went around the corner so we hauld butt around the corner and as we went around corner there was manning and his buddies right in the middle of the road... I swear to god we just about ran are beloved manning plum over...got the car stopped about five foot from him...I was close to being the most hated man in Tennessee ... and no I did not get a picture of him I was too busy thanking God I didn't run them over

Was running late one day and had to go to the bank, here in Nashville. I literally had seconds before the bank was closing for the day. I parked my truck and ran across the parking lot. Lo and behold, none other than Cory Fleming held the door open for me. As I ran in, I said "Go Vols"

I have two son's in college at E.T.S.U. so you know where all my money goes. So, I got a second job on the weekends to can of ease the pain. I work at a hotel, doing security on Friday & Saturday nights. There isn't a single weekend in which no one famous is not there.
Well not long ago, a Nashville radio station was promoting a sport weekend. They had sports figures come to Nashville and talk on the radio. Herman Edwards, etc. etc. Well around 12:30, I was sent to the bar at the hotel to make sure that everyone understood that it was "last call" Sitting at the bar with his son was Al Wilson. I talked to him for a few moments about " Everything Orange" He really has confidence in bUTch and feels strongly that he will get things turned around. I also rode in his black Escalade when the Valet parked it in the parking garage.

I've forgotten most of the stupid sh&t I've done at games. Most, make that ALL, of my bufoonery involves alcohol.

One of them best involves my brother and I trying to steal an SEC banner at the SEC CG in 1998. Back then the banners around the club level were zip-tied to secure them. We had our keys out trying to get it loose.

What we would have done with the damn thing, I have no idea. It was probably 20-30 feet long.

Also, I did meet Cecil Cherry a couple of weeks ago at an All-Star game in Bradenton.

I've forgotten most of the stupid sh&t I've done at games. Most, make that ALL, of my bufoonery involves alcohol.

One of them best involves my brother and I trying to steal an SEC banner at the SEC CG in 1998. Back then the banners around the club level were zip-tied to secure them. We had our keys out trying to get it loose.

What we would have done with the damn thing, I have no idea. It was probably 20-30 feet long.

Also, I did meet Cecil Cherry a couple of weeks ago at an All-Star game in Bradenton.

Bafoonery! I love that word! Thanks for reminding me of it so I can add it back into my vocabulary

I was a freshman at UT taking Econ 201. We had assigned seats (lame) in the class and one of the first days I remember someone handing in an assigned paper with the name Heath Shuler being passed to me. I'm thinking to myself we have a funny joker on my row. Fast forward to week later and I'm at the BSU about to study with a group that had the same teacher but different class and one of them says, "he is in that class". I'm now somewhat mortified that he is there and then I realized he is only one seat away and that the one seat in between us is someone that dropped the class. From then on I become his scantron form b**** and made the trip to the Spam Can to pick them up when needed.

When I was 13 I was at UTs baseball camp. When we left lunch me and some buddies wanted to go see the stadium, so my mom walked us over. When approaching the stadium we noticed the tunnel gates were open so of course we walked out to the field. Then I came up with a brilliant plan to cut out a orange patch from the checkerboards. Almost got kicked out of camp over it. But I got it.

I was in a snowball fight with half the football team last semester. Dobbs eventually led everyone inside neyland stadium to continue the fight. I'll never forget it.

When I was 13 I was at UTs baseball camp. When we left lunch me and some buddies wanted to go see the stadium, so my mom walked us over. When approaching the stadium we noticed the tunnel gates were open so of course we walked out to the field. Then I came up with a brilliant plan to cut out a orange patch from the checkerboards. Almost got kicked out of camp over it. But I got it.

I took my 6 yr old son over to Neyland on Thanksgiving Day and we walked right on to the field and took pictures on the sidelines, the power T on the 50 yd line, and in the endzone. Couldn't believe how accessible it was and that nobody bothered to ask us what we were doing there. We stayed about 30 minutes then it looked like practice was going to start, so we left. It was pretty cool.

image.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Not my story but I recall a poster here on VN talking about being at the '92 Florida game which was played in monsoon like conditions. He said he had to whiz and it was raining so hard that he just unzipped and did his business right where he stood in front of his seat and no one noticed.

I hope he forgot to mention that he was sitting behind Gator fans and not Vols fans. :ermm:

Oh lord, this thread could get dangerous.

I was at UT from 1997-2002 and participated in, or witnessed things that make Mardi Gras look tame.

Some of the memories from that time are sheer insanity. I was a UT ROTC cadet, and ran with that crowd-probably the only other group on campus that had as much piss and vinegar as the football players. Our classes and work-out facilities were in Stokely Athletic Center so we frequently ran into football players in Gibbs hall. Not only that but we had use of the Football team's indoor training facilities in adverse weather conditions. It was a cool arrangement. In fact, many of those guys took the first two years of ROTC classes for the easy elective A, so I ran into guys like Travis Henry, Jamaal Lewis, etc.

I also lived in Andy Holt Tower. Between fall and Spring Semester 2000 (might have been 2001) I moved off campus to live with some of my ROTC buddies. Kelly Washington moved in to my spot in my old room. I used to go back to visit my old roommates, or to hang out between classes when I didn't have enough time to go home, and often ran into him. He loved Playstation, and women. And debauchery. My old roommates have wild stories about their brief time living with him. It was like they lived the movie "Hangover." I can't tell those stories though, they aren't mine, and I don't want to incriminate anyone.

One story I can tell is this: back in about 2000 there was a club behind Wendy's on the strip called "Dante's Inferno." The ROTC crowd tended to frequent the joint, especially on Wednesday nights when they had fifty cent pitchers. My best friend and I (he is now a special forces major) got into some adventures down there, several involved football players.

One night in particular, we arrived at Dante's about 9pm to get our drink on. We wanted to get there soon enough to wallow out a little room so when the place was crazy later that night, we could stretch our legs a bit. There is no better way to hit on women than to have a place for her to sit when the club is packed.

Anyway, we were drinking at a table that was nothing more than plastic outdoor furniture. We were totally inebriated and the club was packed. Standing room only. The place is sweaty full while he and I are sitting at a table with about 6 empty chairs, drinking, aloof. That was our game at the time. Two military types ignoring women tend to get a lot of attention (it worked, believe it or not).

Into the club walks in the whole offensive line. I am not joking, it was quite literally the whole line.

Of course the women swoon, the men size these monster's up, and the Major and I sit drinking in our prime real estate with empty chairs. Some sorority girls we knew came up and we stood to talk to them, our back to the table. We turn around and the offensive line is starting to sit down in the seats we had just occupied. The Major hooks his foot in one of the chairs they are pulling out and simply says "someone's sitting there" and he scoots the chair back under the table. He doesn't even turn to look at the football players, one who is now left without a seat.

It's on at this point. The offensive line stands up, almost turning the table over, and goes shoulder to shoulder. The major puts his drink down, calmly turns around to face them and just says "people are sitting here."

I'm 6'2'', about 220 and in excellent shape at the time but these monsters terrified me. I couldn't hide, the whole club was watching as this scene unfolds. All I could do is stand next to the Major and hope that my end came quickly. We were "battle buddies" so where he went, I went. I knew that if I got my tail beat and went to jail, I would get in worse trouble from our commanding officers if I left him alone in danger. I was full on committed.

There was this O.K. Corral type stand off, with just us two and about 6 football players. To this day I don't' believe it, but those guys ended up backing off of the Major. We ended up hugging and shaking hands and they left. To their credit, they had the sense to not start a bar brawl and that certainly built some street cred for the two ROTC cadets who backed down the much bigger guys who weren't actually looking for a fight. Months after that night he and I would get stopped somewhere and some random person, usually a girl, would say...hey, you're those guys that almost fought the football team (little do they know that I had to change my underwear when I got home). Ha.

End of story...I guess it's safe to say that you had to be there.

Reactions: 4 people
Not my story but I recall a poster here on VN talking about being at the '92 Florida game which was played in monsoon like conditions. He said he had to whiz and it was raining so hard that he just unzipped and did his business right where he stood in front of his seat and no one noticed.

I hope he forgot to mention that he was sitting behind Gator fans and not Vols fans. :ermm:

As I student, I was acquainted with a young academic who used to take great joy in pulling his man parts out of his pants through his open fly while we sat in the student section at games. He would leave "it" like that for what seemed like an eternity asking any student nearby if they wanted some bubble gum. If they responded in the affirmative, he would point to his nightmare crotch and chuckle.

So I thought it would be cool to have a cool story bro thread, where we could all get together and tell our cool stories dealing with UT football. Please keep it relevant to games you have been to. (nb4 "Cool Starry Bra" meme)

So I will start:

so back when Dooley was head doofus here we hosted bama here once, and my friends and I were students and had front row seats. Now most of my family are bama fans :sick: so I have a lot of saved up aggression and other factoids to use on bama. Anyway after half time, and some good ribbing of the team and their millionth of a dollar band, the espn guy comes around and checks the mike in front of the student section. He ends up moving it back. we ask him why and he goes on about how they are picking up one guy over crowd, he said this person wasn't cursing too much or saying things not safe for TV but that it was funny and for some reason they have a policy to not air one person 'giving it' to the other team. We asked what that person was saying and sure enough it was me, he shook my hand and said in his years of working for ESPN he has never had to move the mike for one person. This is why I am 'too loud for ESPN'

second story: again while students and again on the front row I got some good heckling in on kentucky (I want to say this was Fulmers last game but not sure) there was this one defensive linemen on their team that was a bench rider and so I was giving it to him pretty harsh. "How does it feel to play against the team that didn't recruit you." "Did you know you weren't even alive the last time you beat Tennessee" "Why are you drinking all that poweraid you haven't done anything on the field" any way at one point he responded to some other students trying to get him to throw them his helmet, he acted like he was going to toss it but then shook his head and pointed at the field. To this I yelled at him "Hey man you can give me your helmet, don't worry I won't be wearing it on the field either." this got him angry and a couple of his teammates actually had to guide him back to the bench.

so anyway lets hear some 'cool stories bros' and first thread!!!

200.gif

VN Store

Back