Cool Story Article from ESPN...

WildTurkey

frank
Couple of UT-related ones:

Dabo Swinney, Butch Jones and more coaches on recruits like Tim Tebow and J.J. Watt who got away

Butch Jones: J.J. Watt at Central Michigan
"The best recruit who got away is a little bit different in terms of our first signing class at Central Michigan University. We actually had two of the best pro football players right now currently in J.J. Watt and Antonio Brown. They were in our first signing class and then J.J. transferred to the University of Wisconsin. That's probably the best recruit we had, then got away. I knew he was very driven. I knew that he would be very successful."

Larry Fedora: Branndon Stewart at Baylor
"I remember one that broke my heart, a kid named Branndon Stewart. He was from Stephenville High School playing for Art Briles. I was an assistant at Baylor and I worked harder on that young man than anybody. Every single day a handwritten note. When I would go to Stephenville, I would go to the local coffee shop and get there at 5 in the morning and sit there and listen to the people talk because they all talk about football in those small Texas towns. I put my heart and soul into that one, and he ended up going elsewhere."

Reactions: 4 people
Couple of UT-related ones:

Dabo Swinney, Butch Jones and more coaches on recruits like Tim Tebow and J.J. Watt who got away

Butch Jones: J.J. Watt at Central Michigan
"The best recruit who got away is a little bit different in terms of our first signing class at Central Michigan University. We actually had two of the best pro football players right now currently in J.J. Watt and Antonio Brown. They were in our first signing class and then J.J. transferred to the University of Wisconsin. That's probably the best recruit we had, then got away. I knew he was very driven. I knew that he would be very successful."

Larry Fedora: Branndon Stewart at Baylor
"I remember one that broke my heart, a kid named Branndon Stewart. He was from Stephenville High School playing for Art Briles. I was an assistant at Baylor and I worked harder on that young man than anybody. Every single day a handwritten note. When I would go to Stephenville, I would go to the local coffee shop and get there at 5 in the morning and sit there and listen to the people talk because they all talk about football in those small Texas towns. I put my heart and soul into that one, and he ended up going elsewhere."

you fail to mention Brandon Stewart went elsewhere as in Tennessee

Reactions: 1 person
you fail to mention Brandon Stewart went elsewhere as in Tennessee

I figured in a UT forum that would be a known fact. That was the complete Fedora quote copied from the original article - he didn't name the school Stewart ultimately chose.

I had heard the Butch story before, but this is the first time I heard anything about the Stewart recruitment from another perspective. Recruiting news was limited to guys like Emfinger and Parade Magazine.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back