Cool Stat from Tennessee Basketball Twitter

Grant Williams would have likely joined that list if he had stayed his SR year, too, and very possibly would have overtaken Grunfeld as #2 for Tennessee.

Of course, he'd have knocked Lofton out of the SEC top 10, so the numbers wouldn't have changed.

Same with Bernard.
Yes, King scored almost 2000 points in just three seasons. He would have had an outside shot of being Tennessee’s all-time leading scorer had he played four years. It would have required him averaging close to 30 ppg, which was above his career average, but if anyone could have done it, he could.

Yes, King scored almost 2000 points in just three seasons. He would have had an outside shot of being Tennessee’s all-time leading scorer had he played four years. It would have required him averaging close to 30 ppg, which was above his career average, but if anyone could have done it, he could.
King played here with his back to the basket. Had he played facing the basket like he did in the NBA, there's no telling how much he could have scored. Same with Dale Ellis.

King played here with his back to the basket. Had he played facing the basket like he did in the NBA, there's no telling how much he could have scored. Same with Dale Ellis.

King was the 4 most of the time but it seems like he played a bit farther out than a traditional power forward. Mears ran a "Star System" and the idea was to get the ball into King's and Grunfeld's hand no matter where they started. King had a lot of points from weak side rebounds. The possessions often began with Grunfeld dribbling into the paint from a wing while King roamed around looking to get open.

I think that Devoe did have Ellis post up much closer to the basket than Mears did with Bernard.

Reactions: StarRaider
I don’t think Dale had the three point line and we all know how dangerous he was from deep.

And no shot clock either. Temple stalled an entire game Grunfeld's freshman year and lost to TN 11 to 6.

I'm recalling this article from memory, one of those "Weird Moments in Sports" type things, but I believe that many UT fans mailed their ticket stubs to the Temple athletic department asking for a refund since Temple refused to play the game.

VN Store

Back