Controlled Chaos or half court

VolFromNashville

On a Hallowed Hill
Alright please don't flame me for this, but I want to ask Volnation if Bruce will revert back to the "controlled choas" or perhaps stick to a more half-court set considering the success we had with it. I haven't seen much on this so merge if necessary

I think next season we may see a little of both, just because of the players we are losing this season and gaining for next season. We will be a faster team, so I would expect some more controlled chaos.

Id like to think that with the success we had this season, maybe we start getting a few better recruits. Chaos will work fine when we can out athelete the other teams.

It just seemed that we were so much for effective using the half court. But our personnel determined that. I also know Bruce has recruited players for his controlled chaos system, but I don't know how they'd fare in a half court set. I am in favor of using both. For example vs a team like OSU that has no bench. The press can wear them out and benefit us later in the game.

We have the talent now that we don't have to play gimmick basketball anymore. Defense and rebounding wins championships, and we are well on our way.

It just seemed that we were so much for effective using the half court. But our personnel determined that. I also know Bruce has recruited players for his controlled chaos system, but I don't know how they'd fare in a half court set. I am in favor of using both. For example vs a team like OSU that has no bench. The press can wear them out and benefit us later in the game.
Pearl has been recruiting some good players... I can't see them being too bad of a fit.

In my opinion the controlled chaos led to sloppy games and lots of mistakes. The tournament games this year, while not mistake free, were much better basketball. The OSU and MS games were two of the best basketball games I have ever seen. I think, and hope, that Bruce has discarded controlled chaos and is focused on control.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I can't imagine Pearl going back to it when the half court has worked. I also think we will get good, quality players, especially from around Memphis considering we are the best team in the state (don't deny it Vandy). That could prove crucial in the long run.

Depends on the players.
Its great to have big, solid post players, and guards that play well in the half court. That typically wins the tourney. Hard to have that every year, so adjustments need to made.

Gotta find out what you have early in the season, and make it the best you can.

I agree that you have to play to your personnel's strengths. I think we are becoming more of a half court team, with the influx of talent being recruited here. I do think you have a much better chance of winning games with a solid half court team, but again you don't always have the players for that.

Depends on the players.
Its great to have big, solid post players, and guards that play well in the half court. That typically wins the tourney. Hard to have that every year, so adjustments need to made.

Gotta find out what you have early in the season, and make it the best you can.

Yeah, preferably we will know what the rotation is before February...

Do I expect to see more running and fastbreak? Yes. But I never want to see that terrible press again.

Controlled chaos worked whenever we had point guard play. We were only good at our half court offense once we got production out of our point guards.

I would like to see it used occasionally, but with Cam and Hopson on the wings I don't think that's necessarily going to be a strength. If we can cobble together a lineup that can use it effectively when we want to give Brian Williams a blow I don't have any problem with it.

I'd much rather see half-court offense, and I think it fits our current and incoming players better.

Also, CC gives me ulcers...lol.

VN Store

Back