Contractor Destroyed Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
:popcorn:

Like I said, throw some grass seed out there. No, actually... the grass that is there is just worn, but it will come back. May just need about a a good month or so to regrow and fill in the patches.

Reactions: 1 person
:popcorn:

Like I said, throw some grass seed out there. No, actually... the grass that is there is just worn, but it will come back. May just need about a a good month or so to regrow and fill in the patches.
Yeah, that will hide the ruts and you'll fall down every time you walk across the lawn tripping in the ruts. :disappointed:

Recently had an extension put on my back patio to extend my entertainment space in the back. Hired a contractor to do the work and during the job, they completely destroyed my front yard and it looks like a mud truck event took place there. The contractor said that it was normal for those jobs and that he would not fix the grass that they destroyed. Anyone ever deal with something like this and is this normal or do I have any recourse with this situation?

If you asked for a COI before he started the work then sue him and name the insurance company in the suit. It will get resolved and he will have zero say.

Contractor can spend a half hour with a gravel rake to level the ruts out and seed and straw
That's all that can or needs to be done. Looks like there is nothing there more than 4 to maybe 6 inches deep in the worst spot. If it took an hour to fix, he was dragging his feet. There is no magic wand that repairs grass...it just needs seed water and time. In truth, probably doesn't need seed. Just rake, water aND a month or 2 to heal. Not a big deal. He should have fixed it before he left though.

Contractor can spend a half hour with a gravel rake to level the ruts out and seed and straw
That's all that can or needs to be done. Looks like there is nothing there more than 4 to maybe 6 inches deep in the worst spot. If it took an hour to fix, he was dragging his feet. There is no magic wand that repairs grass...it just needs seed water and time. In truth, probably doesn't need seed. Just rake, water aND a month or 2 to heal. Not a big deal. He should have fixed it before he left though.

And all I'm saying is, in the time it took the OP to post in this thread, he could have dealt with the situation himself and not even bothered with getting a lawyer involved.

Some times, you gotta pick your battles in life. This is one of those times where it would be wise to just take the "L" and move on. Instead, he would be wasting his time and getting worked up making calls to an attorney, making calls to the contractor and ranting on here each day until his idea of "pretty things up" is reached.

Why waste your time and energy over something that even you acknowledge would take maybe 30 minutes to resolve yourself?

Reactions: 3 people
For once, Rasputin actually has a halfway valid point.

And all I'm saying is, in the time it took the OP to post in this thread, he could have dealt with the situation himself and not even bothered with getting a lawyer involved.

Some times, you gotta pick your battles in life. This is one of those times where it would be wise to just take the "L" and move on. Instead, he would be wasting his time and getting worked up making calls to an attorney, making calls to the contractor and ranting on here each day until his idea of "pretty things up" is reached.

Why waste your time and energy over something that even you acknowledge would take maybe 30 minutes to resolve yourself?
Thanks for your always invaluable input. The point is, I shouldn't have to move an inch to fix something he destroyed and something he assured me beforehand wouldn't be damaged. I'm paying good money for the patio extension, not a sod removal job.

Contractor came back out and repaired the yard and payed down new sod. Satisfied how it turned out and we ended on amicable terms.

Reactions: 2 people

I agree with you. Like I said, that's a 30 minute fix and a month or 2 of grass growing. The guy should have hooked it up but I definitely wouldn't lawyer up over grass. It is self healing, God worked all that out.

Thanks for your always invaluable input. The point is, I shouldn't have to move an inch to fix something he destroyed and something he assured me beforehand wouldn't be damaged. I'm paying good money for the patio extension, not a sod removal job.

Contractor came back out and repaired the yard and payed down new sod. Satisfied how it turned out and we ended on amicabl

Agree with you, too.

You shouldn't have to fix something he did. No dout there. Glad you didn't have any trouble

I agree with you. Like I said, that's a 30 minute fix and a month or 2 of grass growing. The guy should have hooked it up but I definitely wouldn't lawyer up over grass. It is self healing, God worked all that out.

Lawyering up isn't a big deal to me. We're friends and have known each other forever. A simple discussion over my options isn't a big deal.

I appreciate everyone's comments and posts here, the situation has been resolved to my satisfaction.

Lawyering up isn't a big deal to me. We're friends and have known each other forever. A simple discussion over my options isn't a big deal.

I appreciate everyone's comments and posts here, the situation has been resolved to my satisfaction.

Which is why we have such a problem in this country right now.

Contractor came back out and repaired the yard and payed down new sod. Satisfied how it turned out and we ended on amicable terms.

I was in a similar situation about 2-3 years ago. Had a cement truck pouring 6 yards of concrete in my backyard. The truck was so heavy that during the pour (plus it had rained a day or so before the pour), his tires sank down in the lawn and actually left very deep grooves/tracks in my backyard as he left.

Instead of me ranting on VN or lawyering up, I went to Lowe's and bought some topsoil and rock and spent about $15-20 and about 30 minutes fixing the two major wheel ruts and let nature take care of the rest. Everything filled back in just fine within 2-3 months with me having to touch it up again one more time I think.

Last edited:
Because everybody has such a feeling of entitlement that they think they can screw over everybody in sight and they don't think they are responsible for their actions?

No, it is because people think that the world revolves around them and any type of petty inconvenience or discomfort in their lives needs to be handled with a lawyer.

I was in a similar situation about 2-3 years ago. Had a cement truck pouring 6 yards of concrete in my backyard. The truck was so heavy that during the pour (plus it had rained a day or so before the pour), his tires sank down in the lawn and actually left very deep grooves/tracks in my backyard as he left.

Instead of me ranting on VN or lawyering up, I went to Lowe's and bought some topsoil and rock and spent about $15-20 and about 30 minutes fixing the two major wheel ruts and let nature take care of the rest. Everything filled back in just fine within 2-3 months with me having to touch it up again one more time I think.

Yes... this is the way to go. Stuff happens and you can deal with it or get all worked up. Similar thing for me, had a hot tub delivered to back yard... was wet and truck tires went deep. I paid for a wrecker to tow the truck out and then I repaired the damage to the yard.

Yes... this is the way to go. Stuff happens and you can deal with it or get all worked up. Similar thing for me, had a hot tub delivered to back yard... was wet and truck tires went deep. I paid for a wrecker to tow the truck out and then I repaired the damage to the yard.
So you paid for the tow truck and repaired the damage done to the yard by the concrete truck for what reason? Cause it was your fault to have them deliver the product when the yard was wet? I don't get it, you didn't drive the truck where it would obviously sink in the yard.

Or was it because you hired your son in law's Hot Tub Delivery company to bring it over?

So you paid for the tow truck and repaired the damage done to the yard by the concrete truck for what reason? Cause it was your fault to have them deliver the product when the yard was wet? I don't get it, you didn't drive the truck where it would obviously sink in the yard.

Rain is out of my control.
Driving in the backyard was necessary to do the job.
Rain + heavy equipment = tracks or damage to grass

How is any of that the construction companies fault? Maybe me and the OP should have just only allowed them to work on dry/non-rainy days.

Rain is out of my control.
Driving in the backyard was necessary to do the job.
Rain + heavy equipment = tracks or damage to grass

How is any of that the construction companies fault? Maybe me and the OP should have just only allowed them to work on dry/non-rainy days.
Bingo!

good for you, I choose to get what I pay for.

Reactions: 3 people
No, it is because people think that the world revolves around them and any type of petty inconvenience or discomfort in their lives needs to be handled with a lawyer.

If I pay you to do a job and you destroy my yard doing it, I'm not fixing it myself. You enjoy getting shafted, then by all means just let it happen.

Reactions: 2 people

You know I was being facetious, right?
Who is going to stop progress on a construction project just because of rain? Nobody. I had the cement truck lined up and me and my help were off work that day. You just can't coordinate around rain in many circumstances.

And I'm sure the OP wasn't going to slow down his construction project over some rain. He was probably hoping to get it done as quickly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back