Contract details

All you have to do is look at the Recruiting forum where all the people posting about how great she is are coming from. One of them saying she is on a meteoric rise on that coaching search thread joked about he was going to seduce Caldwell and she’ll be a homewrecker….they only love it bc of what she looks like and bc questioning the hire means questioning their DANNY

DANNY is the guy who completely botched the hire of our soccer coach. No search at all. HIred the longtime assistant because the players liked
him. True story.

I'm quite sure that Caldwell was dumbfounded when the Tennessee AD, out of the blue, contacted her and said he wanted her
to be our new coach---or something to that effect. It's not like other major programs were beating down her door.

Reactions: Vols919 and vols90
I'm quite sure that Caldwell was dumbfounded when the Tennessee AD, out of the blue, contacted her and said he wanted her
to be our new coach---or something to that effect. It's not like other major programs were beating down her door.

It’s remarkable really (if it weren’t our team I’d be wowed). Imagine coaching D2 13 months ago, making $67,000 a year and waking up today the head coach of the winningest program in women’s basketball history … one with 8 national titles.

We don't know that but my money is on that DW had this deal made well before Harper was rightfully fired.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Yep. There has been the rumor and talk on here for years that Danny White did not care about women’s basketball. I refused to believe that and had full faith, hope, and excitement that he was going to hire a proven coach with the pedigree to restore the legacy. I think the rumor was spot on. He didn’t care, and doesn’t care. He had some beef with the Harper’s and axed her. There are reports online that this was his top choice and who he targeted. That’s just flat disrespect to the program that Pat built, imo.
How do you know she won't be a good coach? She's won everywhere she's been.

How do you know she won't be a good coach? She's won everywhere she's been.
Haven’t once said she wouldn’t be a good coach. “Everywhere she’s been” has consisted of one year at a lower tier mid major and a division 2 college.

If that impresses you, that’s ok, but I don’t have to share that perspective

That’s an awesome clause. Super creative hire. All she has done is win. We aren’t sure she can do it in Division I, so don’t pay her as if she has until she has.

But we gave her the shot. If she does it again at Tennessee she hits payday.

If she doesn’t, we aren’t screwed.

That’s an awesome clause. Super creative hire. All she has done is win. We aren’t sure she can do it in Division I, so don’t pay her as if she has until she has.

That’s the point though, if she doesn’t win we ARE screwed. This was THE hire that determines the outcome of this program for the next generation of fans. It is either going to return us to relevancy or solidify our mediocrity. That’s why it was the wrong time to take the risk we just took.

Reactions: glv98 and vols90

personally, thats a terrible clause in my opinion, if i thought she had a chinamans chance of achieving it. it is possible for a coach to catch lightning in a bottle and ride a magical season to a championship, then fall off the earth in the years after that, but now you are tied into paying a $750k coach a buyout at $2mil a season over one luck season. i think danny white knows that the hire he made is not the one that will bring the program back to where it has been allowed to fall from. this is a lot like one of those "this is the hire that sets you up for the next hire"

Reactions: spojo13
personally, thats a terrible clause in my opinion, if i thought she had a chinamans chance of achieving it. it is possible for a coach to catch lightning in a bottle and ride a magical season to a championship, then fall off the earth in the years after that, but now you are tied into paying a $750k coach a buyout at $2mil a season over one luck season. i think danny white knows that the hire he made is not the one that will bring the program back to where it has been allowed to fall from. this is a lot like one of those "this is the hire that sets you up for the next hire"

Agree - strange clause.

I don’t think that’s what he is thinking. To your point, a coach could catch lightning in a bottle and then he is stuck. I think he sees a lot in this coach and wants what she has done at every level done at Tennessee. If that happens, it most likely is her continuing to win, not a fluke and he is willing to pay.

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
That’s the point though, if she doesn’t win we ARE screwed. This was THE hire that determines the outcome of this program for the next generation of fans. It is either going to return us to relevancy or solidify our mediocrity. That’s why it was the wrong time to take the risk we just took.
I disagree. We already hired a winner with experience at D1. All the other coaches out there in D1 have had their shot at rivaling Gino and Staley and haven’t succeeded for the most part or will stay where they are. Might as well go with something proven but ready for the next level IMO.

Last edited:
Lucks into a National Championship? Ummm, yes please. That’s what you are worried about after a dozen years of irrelevance?

Basketball IQ is not common from the VN fanatics on here and Twitter.

To think a highly renowned AD in the SEC would hire one of the best young coaches in the the country to lead the most prestigious WBB just to cut costs in the program is as oblivious you can be. They are about to influx the program with resources and innovative in a way not seen before. Nothing, I mean nothing posted from the critics will erase this track record of success.

They’re either not very smart for thinking White is intentionally cutting costs, or they are so filled with rage and anger that they can’t be logical.

Warlick with 7 years and Harper with 5 years gives you a dozen years to decide that this just isn’t working. If you really love UT wouldn’t you love the possibilities versus the track record of the last 12 years?

You’re sounding pretty silly with some of your comments in these posts. If I’m wrong tell me where I can verify your last statement. Why are you folks so enraged that you speak all this gibberish, most of which is distasteful or flat out untrue.

VN Store

Back