Congrats Kellie For Huge Road Win Over Drake!

Well Jolly is 93 and 69 at Missouri State and she didn't fare to well at NC St either. I am hoping when if we ever decide to hire a different coach we don't go for someone with a worse winning percentage than Warlick has at Tennessee. This would include Jolly and Fargas who were former Tennessee players.
Didn’t look this up myself, but quoting from the MSU board:

Just for grins, here's an update on our impressive conference record under Coach Harper:
2013-14: 8-10
2014-15: 13-5
2015-16: 14-4
2016-17: 12-6
2017-18: 15-3
2018-19: 8-0
TOTAL: 70-28 (.714)
Excluding her first season (2013-14): 62-18 (.775)

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

Just for grins, here's an update on our impressive conference record under Coach Harper:

That is pretty impressive and if someone didn’t want to break the bank with her they could offer her more than what she makes now (her husband as her assistant would make more also) but still keep her around $450-$550K her first few years.

Good comments from everybody. Posted the news about the win from one of our favorite daughters to bring a moment of good cheer. Enjoyed the link to the Lady Bears forum...reading the excited and proud comments from their fans following the win reminded me of the good ole days here. Hope the Lady Bears continue their win streak today against UNI.

Speaking of which, a few corrections from the OP. I believe the current win streak is 11, not 12. I also incorrectly stated that they have only 1 junior when they actually have two (sophomores and freshmen are starters/main contributors, though). Also, neglected to mention that in addition to beating Rutgers this season, Drake has also beaten Nebraska, Creighton, and South Carolina. Drake's final score against Notre Dame was almost as close as ours, and Drake had an RPI of 15 before Friday's loss to Kellie's team. They are for real, and they have an excellent coach in Jenny Baranczyk, another young coach who has a stellar coaching record and has built Drake into a powerhouse mid-major program.

In checking box scores last night, I came across this funny photo (and caption) from the win against Drake:

d8c4c9cf-490b-44a8-ad0c-ce51817469bf-190201_DrakeWomenBB_1254.JPG

The caption reads:

Missouri State women's basketball coach Kellie Harper instructs an assistant coach to return to the bench area after a call against the Lady Bears in the second quarter against Drake on Friday, Feb. 1, 2019, at Knapp Auditorium in Des Moines. (Photo: Bryon Houlgrave, The Register)

The "assistant coach," of course, is Jon Harper, Kellie's husband. They have two really cute kids: six-year-old Jackson (who looks like his mom) and daughter Kiley, who I think is not quite one year old yet.

Also posting a touching anecdote from Kellie in the Pat Summitt tribute thread about something rare Pat did following the Elite Eight loss in Kellie's senior season that is memorable.

[Update edit: Lady Bears gut out a road win vs. a good UNI team to complete undefeated sweep of 1st half of conference schedule. Third-quarter comeback led by 4 freshmen on court together. Win streak now at 12.]

Last edited:

I haven’t watched the team play. How is the offense? How is the defense? On-court chemistry? Is the team disciplined? Do they compete no matter the score?

I haven’t watched the team play. How is the offense? How is the defense? On-court chemistry? Is the team disciplined? Do they compete no matter the score?
I've not seen them enough to really know, so if someone who has seen them play wants to chime in.. Statistically, they seem to be very solid on offense/defense. However, I will say that her teams always compete and play hard. They have only lost two games this year by more than 7 points:
South Dakota (20-3)
Indiana (17-6)

Reactions: NoBackBoard
I've not seen them enough to really know, so if someone who has seen them play wants to chime in.. Statistically, they seem to be very solid on offense/defense. However, I will say that her teams always compete and play hard. They have only lost two games this year by more than 7 points:
South Dakota (20-3)
Indiana (17-6)

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve always liked her and she was my No. 1 choice when Pat retired but in hindsight she wasn’t ready. I hope she is now.

Well Jolly is 93 and 69 at Missouri State and she didn't fare to well at NC St either. I am hoping when if we ever decide to hire a different coach we don't go for someone with a worse winning percentage than Warlick has at Tennessee. This would include Jolly and Fargas who were former Tennessee players.

I concur... We can’t risk another experiment or emotional hire that takes years to part with if they don’t pan out.

Letting our LV's drop to the point they'll need years to rebuild would be foulish and for what? To prove Holly isn't a good HC? That's been obvious for years! Do the right thing AD and put fire back into our ladies program.

I concur... We can’t risk another experiment or emotional hire that takes years to part with if they don’t pan out.

If the Athletics department doesn’t want to pay a lot up front (I foresee Rick Barnes gaining a nice increase in salary as well after this year) they may have to go with a person like Kelly or even an assistant a top assistant. A Jeff Walz or someone may cost more than what the department is willing to pay.

If the Athletics department doesn’t want to pay a lot up front (I foresee Rick Barnes gaining a nice increase in salary as well after this year) they may have to go with a person like Kelly or even an assistant a top assistant. A Jeff Walz or someone may cost more than what the department is willing to pay.

I tend to agree with you, and if this is the case, you have a homerun hire who was hired and took over after Kelly couldn't get it done at NC State who is proven and won everywhere he's been, Wes Moore. I believe he makes 460k a year- quite a bit less than Holly's current salary. I'm with you in the fact that I don't believe they'd open the bank enough to get a Jeff Walz.

The NC State tenure is not necessarily a good comparison. Jollie followed Kay Yow, one of the most storied women's coaches ever, who died of cancer. Yow had won over 700 games, and following her was very difficult. Jollie was fired by Debbie Yow, the AD and Kay Yow's sister.

Record at three schools:
Western Carolina – five seasons, overall 97-65, 1 conference title, two WNIT trips, two NCAA trips
NC State – four seasons, overall 70-64, one NCAA trip, two WNIT trips
Missouri State – in her sixth season, overall 103-74, two second places in conference, one NCAA trip, three WNIT trips

You've usually got to win the conference tourney to get to the NCAA (one bid, usually).

This 2017 article features quotes from some of Kellie's past and present players on her coaching skills.

Year five of Kellie Harper

5a0135b502898.image.jpg

Coaches Kellie and Jon Harper before a game last season.
Collin O'Connell/The Standard

Lady Bears’ head coach Kellie Harper alternates between sitting and squatting.
She watches the game intently, the back and forth of athletes, as junior guard Liza Fruendt sinks a 3-pointer, as junior forward Aubrey Buckley snatches the ball from the opposing team and sophomore guard Alexa Willard drives to the basket.
They do exactly what Harper wants them to do.

“I think it’s completely 100 percent exactly what Harper wants it to be,” Fruendt said. “And we all understand that and have adapted to that. She comes in and sets the tone, and you either get it or you don’t.”
Harper starts her fifth year at Missouri State this season. In the past four years, she’s collected 72 wins.
In 2016, Harper led the Lady Bears to their 10th MVC Tournament championship. But in Harper’s past four years, they haven’t won a regular season title.
“One thing I said I wanted to do is be in contention to win the Valley every year I think we’re to the point where we can compete for it, not saying we are going to win it every year, but we can compete for it every year,” Harper said. “I think that’s where we want to be. I think the next step is winning it, and that’s a goal we hope to get sooner rather than later.”
Harper held the head coach position at Western Carolina and North Carolina State before coming to MSU and her husband, Jon, has been an assistant coach for her at all three. She signed a five-year agreement, which will be up for consideration this following the upcoming season.
And, Harper is setting the level of the team’s work ethic.

“She sets that standard and that’s why we have great practices, because the tone is set from the very top,” Fruendt said.

Willard said Harper will meet one-on-one with the team members to talk about what they need to do to improve. For Willard, that was playing pickup basketball with strangers. Harper knows what she’s doing.

“She’s a smart coach,” Willard said. “She’s able to point things out real quick. I think we all knew in the back of our heads what was wrong, the way the season ended, you know there was definitely something up.”

Meeting with everyone individually helps Harper coach each athlete how they need to be coached as an individual.

“She understands that we are different players and different people, and that different people need different styles of coaching,” senior forward Audrey Holt said. “I do think we do have a different mix of personalities, but she does a good job of knowing what each specific person needs from her.”

When it comes to how the Lady Bears plan on winning, it boils down to defense.

“The defensive end is important,” Fruendt said. “From day one, Harper has set that standard, and if you don’t play defense, you won’t play.”

Harper said the best four years have flown by but she’s enjoyed every minute of it. The next goal? Winning the Valley.

“I am constantly trying to evaluate where our program needs to go and thus where I need to go and what I need to do and who I need to be for our players,” Harper said. “I need to be me, but how can I make them better and how can I be better for them?

“I think you are constantly looking for that and constantly growing as a staff and as a program, you’re constantly changing and hopefully we will be clicking this season.”

Last edited:
Kellie is the only one of the Summitt tree who coaches the way she was coached. Hard on fundamentals and will work the ref rather than scratch her head or stomp her foot. Look at her eyes and get the Pat stare . Bring her home and its not like hiring an assistant. Other than BH who Deerpark states is not going to the NCAA coaching route Kelli is my pick and her blood has always run ORANGE! JMHO as always.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Win streak now at 13 (they had Sunday off).

Creme moved them up one spot to a #13 seed in latest ranking.

In other former LV news, Alexa Middleton's Iowa State team is a #4 seed and currently ranked 18th.

Kellie is from hometown and I watched her play for years. Great young lady. I was her Young Life leader. Her brother Brent was also a heck of a good college player at Tennessee Tech.
YERT!

Spartan humor.
Lol!! I’m an honorary “Spartan” . Not from Sparta myself but My almost 89 y.o. Grandfather / VOL grew up there. I think I’m kin to about half of white county, as I come from the Roberts line 😁. Cool story bro is that my great grandfather owned the property where the Rock House still stands and once technically owned the Rock House . “Donated “ it back to the state sometime back in the late 50’s

VN Store

Back