Congrats!! And a few post game thoughts...

I'm speaking long term. I just think UF has a lot of built in advantage that we have not been realizing. I do think Napier has made that a priority.

But that is down the road. A couple of years. So enjoy the big win tonight, it is much deserved !

I'd be stunned if the atmosphere we saw on Saturday at Neyland and all week in K-Town was something that wouldn't be incredibly impressive to potential recruits. Last Saturday was about as great a national recruiting tool as a program could hope for.

Reactions: Sea Ray
My point is, Tennessee isn't going to be an easy game anymore, regardless of what Florida does. That, in and of itself, is turning the corner in the rivalry. In short, it will be a rivalry again.
For what it is worth I will add my two cents. At this time Tennessee has the better coach for the first time in a long time.

For what it is worth I will add my two cents. At this time Tennessee has the better coach for the first time in a long time.

You can't make that evaluation off of one game, don't be silly.

Heupel has done an excellent job. This was Napier's fourth game and it would be foolish to judge him now, one way or the other.

Heupel has done an excellent job. This was Napier's fourth game and it would be foolish to judge him now, one way or the other.
It is not off of one game but Heupel's overall body of work since he has been there. Also please note that I said "at this time"

Tip my hat to the Gator posters here. Y'all truly showed some class....

Gators SUCK! AND WE EAT Y'ALL FOR BREAKFAST!!!!

Please, recognize my horrible attempt at comedy!

Read my previouse post as to why he lost it. You can't start the game clock on a time out sir. After yes but during NO!
Play clock, he wanted them to mark the ball and start the play clock, basically wanted them to stop talking to CJH. He was being very animated and was all the way out at the hash marks. As it continued to be discussed across the field he got more animated and slung his clip board and headset. I saw this with my own eyes. The TV didnt show all this, so if you werent there, do not tell me im wrong, sir

Staggering when you look at this game:
Florida:
5 of 6 on fourth downs
1 punt
594 yards of offense
Onside kick recovery
Won time of possession

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
2) The officiating was absurdly bad. Comical at times. Either you have some mechanical issues there with the clock or the clock operator has issues.
LOL. NO ONE in the SEC gets more favorable officiating than UF. No one. If you are referring to the multiple times UT rushers were held from behind by UF going uncalled then you have a point.

Napier emphatically said it was a well officiated game and glowed about how great the crew is.

How specifically was UF hurt by the time keeper or that long review?

3) You wont like this but I am not prepared to say that UT has long term turned the corner in terms of the rivalry. Just not sure UT has that much more upside potential talent wise whereas UF has significantly more potential.
Both teams have to recruit better players. Both teams ARE recruiting better. According to 247's roster talent composite, UF already has more talent. Your roster composite is 856.95 while UT's is 764.62. UT is still playing with a short roster and a roster stripped of critical pieces that should be contributing right now.

I don't know how it will play out. UT does have a coach doing more with less now though. Hooker was washed up before he and Heupel found each other. The talent was there but he needed a system and development. Tillman was nobody- a former 2* that everyone just assumed was... a 2*. In 3 years he had 124 yds receiving... and didn't really get going until half way into last year. Now he's being mentioned as an early draft pick. So UT loses him vs UF... and Heupel gets more out of others.

I have no idea about "turning the corner". No matter how good or bad UF's coach is you always have a recruiting advantage due to proximity to talent. But I am extremely comfortable with Heupel's leadership of the program and his ability to coach.

4) Agree with those who say that UT should have blitzed a lot more than you did.
UT has to get better on D. Some of it is athletes but I'm not particularly impressed with the DC to this point. The better players are coming. What we don't know is if Heupel knows how and when to fire a coach should it come to that.

Ok go back and watch the play where he went into a rampage. As I already said it in one thread will say it again. He blew his top when the PLAY CLOCK was at zero and the delay from the ref's allowing the TO called by CJH made it's way to the field is what caused him to lose it. Coaches don't lose their mind on a review of a TD. Nothing on CJH but on the ref's for their terrible mismanagement of the game. But will say thanks to CBN for the 1st down.

The real officiating miscue was not giving us the TD when it was obvious to everyone else he scored. This would have allowed us to take the penalty on the kick off.

Regardless of who defends SEC refs, their conpetency level is not equal to that of the coaches and players in the league. Im not sure how to correct that but IMO doing nothing isnt the best path.

Play clock, he wanted them to mark the ball and start the play clock, basically wanted them to stop talking to CJH. He was being very animated and was all the way out at the hash marks. As it continued to be discussed across the field he got more animated and slung his clip board and headset. I saw this with my own eyes. The TV didnt show all this, so if you werent there, do not tell me im wrong, sir

You are wrong, sorry but you are. You can spin how you want to and I have watched it twice. The reason and I will spell it out once again for you and I apologize for yelling but trying to get my point across... HE LOST IT DO TO THE REF"S ALLOWING CJH to get the TO called when the play clock was at ZERO. And yes the TV did show if and if you doubt me hit up you tube sir. Not going to argue with you but the proof is in the pudding and you're wrong about why he lost it.

Trust me because the media has already hashed this out and the consensus is all the same. Time out call with the play clock at ZERO. He thought it should have been a delay of game and this made him lose it. But what you don't see WHICH you said you were there CJH was by the official when he called the TO and the ref was late giving UT the TO. Grasp it now? I can't explain it better so YOU can understand.

Oh and BTW ' are free. Feel free to use them.

If someone offered you a straight up trade right now Huepel for Napier are you telling us you wouldn't do it?

lol, ok. I think you probably are in the minority of Gator fans with that stance

I think the vast majority of Gator fans are optimistic over the longer term and will give Napier a reasonable amount of time, at least 2 to 3 years. Much more patient than UT fans have been the last decade.

I think the vast majority of Gator fans are optimistic over the longer term and will give Napier a reasonable amount of time, at least 2 to 3 years. Much more patient than UT fans have been the last decade.
I hope you folks are really really patient with Napier. I don't want cha to come up with an innovative coach like what we've got

After the game he coached against us, the decisions to go for 2, the unsportsmanlike foul CJM part 2. I like him as a person but coach? You can do better and deserve better. IMHO but I hope he stays there for at least 5 years and we close the gap on the series.

I think this is wise. It’s easy to sling poo at the new coach, and he hasn’t helped himself much. But he didn’t walk into the best situation either. I tip my cap to him that he had the nuts to gamble for the win. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and not yet labeling him the new Riverboat Gambler.

You do know that every single one of our coaching staffs between Fulmer and Heupel got at least 3 years to show whether they were worthy. And the vast majority of UT fans supported that (don't be fooled by the very vocal rabid minority on the interwebz). Kiffin only used one of his but he'd have had 3+, as well.

So what you just said really doesn't make much sense.

You do know that every single one of our coaching staffs between Fulmer and Heupel got at least 3 years to show whether they were worthy. And the vast majority of UT fans supported that (don't be fooled by the very vocal rabid minority on the interwebz). Kiffin only used one of his but he'd have had 3+, as well.

So what you just said really doesn't make much sense.

They did. But in my time on the board it was frequently the case that UT fans were clamoring for their heads at the first sign of adversity.

They did. But in my time on the board it was frequently the case that UT fans were clamoring for their heads at the first sign of adversity.
Yes, well (a) that's nothing new, we have a handful calling for a couple of our coaches to be fired right now, while we're 4-0...and (b) every fan base has that irrational fringe made up of a combination of trolls, hateful human beings, and just really sad eeyores.

Yes, well (a) that's nothing new, we have a handful calling for a couple of our coaches to be fired right now, while we're 4-0...and (b) every fan base has that irrational fringe made up of a combination of trolls, hateful human beings, and just really sad eeyores.

Yeah. Usually the young 'uns.

Miami is cooked. FSU is due for its tri-annual self imposed detonation any moment now. And UF has all the recruiting momentum in the state, even with Miami trying to buy an entire team.

UF has just such an easy path to an explosive rise in recruiting.

But, having said that, as you say time will tell. And as I've said we both have a mountain to climb in recruiting to routinely threaten UGA and Ala.

Atleast we don't have to listen to all the drooling over them being back, and have that swag.....The annual 'before Miami takes the the field' idiocracy.

Reactions: lawgator1
Lawgator, you've always been a good poster on this site. I enjoy your take on things and normally you are very even handed in what you post. However, this game must have really hurt you. Your point #3 is very snarky in a passive/aggressive way.

It is clear at this point, the Vols program is in better shape than your's with Heupel a much better coach than Napier. As pointed out earlier, the Vols are still dealing with a depleted roster and overall the Gators have more talent on hand right now. Vols are a hot team right now with recruits with top 3 QBs committed in the next two classes. It's gonna get better on Rocky Top.

I'm not saying the Big Orange is back (defense will accout for 2 or 3 losses this year) but I sure wouldn't want trade places or coaches with Florida at this point.

Lawgator, you've always been a good poster on this site. I enjoy your take on things and normally you are very even handed in what you post. However, this game must have really hurt you. Your point #3 is very snarky in a passive/aggressive way.

It is clear at this point, the Vols program is in better shape than your's with Heupel a much better coach than Napier. As pointed out earlier, the Vols are still dealing with a depleted roster and overall the Gators have more talent on hand right now. Vols are a hot team right now with recruits with top 3 QBs committed in the next two classes. It's gonna get better on Rocky Top.

I'm not saying the Big Orange is back (defense will accout for 2 or 3 losses this year) but I sure wouldn't want trade places or coaches with Florida at this point.

His point number 3 is a bit perplexing. Maybe it’s recency bias? Hubris? Bias? Wishful thinking?

It would be silly to expect the Tenn / FL game results to continue to be as lopsided as they’ve been the last 15 years. It would be reasonable to expect a regression to the long term mean. It appears that a shift is afoot in Knoxville, so if not now, when?

VN Store

Back