Confident USU Fans (blue cool-aid)

I clicked on their thread asking USU fans to predict the score of the Tennessee. Of about 20 responses, all but 2 picked USU to win. Wow. In all honesty, we got a whole lotta fans just like these guys who constantly pick us to beat Florida, Oklahoma and Alabama. Fans are fans.

While UT does have it's homers and idiots they're nowhere near as common or bullish here as they seem to be on that USU site.

I should backtrack a bit I guess. The majority of our fans did predict we would win, but only one or two in blowout fashion. It's a group think mentality in every message board and all of us have our goggles on. I have enjoyed talking with the majority of the Tennessee fans that have happened by, ya'll are good people and I look forward to the game.

The interesting part is that many of them are basing their conclusions on "coach talk".

Jones is very demanding and open about it. Unlike the quotes from USU's coach, Jones will NEVER speak as if things will just work themselves out. He has been critical of his team in ways that send them a message of never being satisfied. That's his method and it doesn't seem to change much.

Wells and Jones may be looking at two very similar pictures. Wells says "All is well. We have some things to work on but everything will come together." Jones says, "We're not playing championship football. The ______ group has to up its game."

I don't know if Wells is just normally a glass half full guy when talking to the media or if this is a genuine display of confidence... but as you know it is all relative when you are competing against yourself.

Sidenote: Very interesting that your 1's go against 2's and 2's against 1's. I don't think that prepares either unit well to play UT. I assume they have 1's against 1's in closed practices?

Reactions: 3 people
The interesting part is that many of them are basing their conclusions on "coach talk".

Jones is very demanding and open about it. Unlike the quotes from USU's coach, Jones will NEVER speak as if things will just work themselves out. He has been critical of his team in ways that send them a message of never being satisfied. That's his method and it doesn't seem to change much.

Wells and Jones may be looking at two very similar pictures. Wells says "All is well. We have some things to work on but everything will come together." Jones says, "We're not playing championship football. The ______ group has to up its game."

I don't know if Wells is just normally a glass half full guy when talking to the media or if this is a genuine display of confidence... but as you know it is all relative when you are competing against yourself.

Sidenote: Very interesting that your 1's go against 2's and 2's against 1's. I don't think that prepares either unit well to play UT. I assume they have 1's against 1's in closed practices?

Right on the money. I made a similar post in another thread. See:

First thing I notice from this thread is how much more serious CBJ is in the way he conducts his practices and what he expects from our guys. We have heard so many negatives coming from camp that it almost makes you pessimistic, but it's for the better. I haven't heard a single negative even come from a USU practice and let me tell you it's not because they're perfect.

Example A:

"I’m proud of how the No. 1 defense played in the red zone. They gave up some stuff in the middle of the field, so good job by the No. 2 offense. That is not like our defense, but I’m not worried about it one bit."

Butch would be all over that IMO. Their second string offense is outplaying their starting defense an they are talking like they will come out and smash us in neyland? They don't even have the same defense as they did last year. They're just as thin, except their talent is less. I haven't looked forward to a game this much in a loooong time.

What USU fans don't understand is how CBJ is. Just watch his pressers and you will see. The man doesn't joke around with perfection. He's all about the small details and he hounds the hell out of the players.

Reactions: 1 person
when two teams are very similiar in experience it really comes down to talent for the most part. Nobody on that UT team will take them light. Its the freakin opener and these kids are already sick of camp i can assure you. It will be more about talent and UT has that by a large margin.

laughter.gif

Reactions: 8 people
2013 Utah State Aggies Football Schedule

They have reason to be confident. They have had success against a decent schedule and they have played big name teams in big time venues. This should be a very good game......I will add, I hate teams with mobile QBs who can run around, create plays and convert 3rd downs.

"USU 31
Deliverance U 28"

Someone should tell them deliverance was in Georgia

Something tells me that wouldn't mean much to a polygamist that routinely massacres wagon-trains of migrants.

Because who needs any semblance of accuracy when you're trying to make a point about the ignorance of your target.

Reactions: 6 people

They have reason to be confident. They have had success against a decent schedule and they have played big name teams in big time venues. This should be a very good game......I will add, I hate teams with mobile QBs who can run around, create plays and convert 3rd downs.

That schedule was pretty bad and they beat no good teams. Their claim to fame is losing to USC in a close game.

While UT does have it's homers and idiots they're nowhere near as common or bullish here as they seem to be on that USU site.

No doubt that we have a much, much stronger leg to stand on. Vandy fans are by far the worst IMO. Win 2 in a row to make them 3-30 the last 33 years and they start that Our State ish. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but you gotta earn the right to talk trash.

That schedule was pretty bad and they beat no good teams. Their claim to fame is losing to USC in a close game.

USU's losses were @Utah, @USC, Boise State, and @ Fresno State. How many of those games would UT have won last year?

USU will be a confident team when they come into Neyland and they have some talent that will give UT trouble like:
--Experienced DL and LBs vs UT"s inexperienced OL
--Mobile QB with a knack for playmaking vs UT's inexperienced defense
--Confidence in knowing they can win close games

UT should win but this is not a 1990's UT team playing a decent mid major team.

Prediction:

Both Hurd and Lane rush for 100+ yards on them.
Pearson and North will both have 100+ receiving yards

no chance.

Utah leading rusher: 47 yards
USC: 97 (nobody else over 13)
BYU: 79 (hill had 14. averaged 103)
boise: 109 (rest of team combined for 3 yards)
NIU: 39 (lynch averaged 150)

utah: 96 (next best was 19)
wisconsin: 139 on 37 carries (oh and he finished 4th in the heisman vote the year before) next best was 18

2011:
auburn: 57

USU has given up 100 yards rushing to anybody just twice in the last 40 games. The closest anybody came to getting two 100 yard rushers was having two guys go for 139 and 18 yards.

I think tennessee will win. But they aren't going to have 2 guys rush for 100 yards. In fact, odds are that Tennessee won't rush for 200 yards as an entire team combined.
NIU didn't do it with a top 10 rushing offense. wisconsin didn't do it with the #13 rushing offense. Auburn didn't do it (31st). byu didn't do it (7th).

Run defense is our team's biggest strength. We have 4 returning starters on the front 7. Only 1 on the front 7 didn't take at least 20-30 snaps a game all season last year. If there is a blowout, which there very well could be, it'll be due to your WRs, not your RBs (who I do think are good), especially not with 5 new starters in their first game together blocking for them.

ficklez, that's some interesting information right there. How many teams in your conference run a similar offense to the one UT runs and how have the Aggies done against them?

I'm not sayin that USU isn't a good team but they have no idea how bad the beating will be. Our 32 Freshmen would beat them by 7 points.

We now have the team speed to bottle up and gang tackle mobile QBs.

Secondary: Daniel Grey is their best. He would be 3 deep for the Vols.

No... they haven't. Their success has been pumped up by playing and beating bad opponents. They've won 27 games in the last 3 years which sounds good... but 19 of those wins came against teams that finished with losing records. None came against BCS opponents.

Last year they moved "up" in competition from the WAC to MWC. They lost to all three of the best teams in the MWC- BYU, Fresno, and Boise by an avg of almost 12 pts. They are 0-3 vs BYU over the last 3 years.

They have not beaten talented, well coached teams unless you want to call NIU's one man show a talented team.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back