Conference only schedule

Just announced the ACC will play an eleven game conference only plus Notre Dame schedule...only ones left not conference only are SEC and Big 12.

I think you might be off a bit, Cmac. Based on what the ACC just announced, I think it's likely the SEC will allow at least one OOC game for each team.

Here's what ACC decided today, and just announced. Including it here because it impacts SEC teams in a couple of ways, see paragraph 5 (which means the ACC almost certainly coordinated with the SEC before finalizing this):

NOTE: what follows is only in effect for the 2020 season--none of the changes are permanent.

1. Each ACC team will play an 11-game regular season: 10+1 (more about the 1 out of conference game below).
2. Notre Dame is included as a full participant in conference scheduling, and will be eligible to play in the ACC championship game.
3. No divisions.
4. ACC season begins September 12th, runs 13 weeks (two built-in bye weeks for each team).
5. Each team has the freedom to set its own non-conference game...all OOC games must take place in the ACC teams' home state. This means the four SEC-ACC rivalry matches normally played in November (Kentucky-Louisville, USCE-Clemson, Georgia-Georgia Tech, and Florida-FSU) are all permitted. It also means that the Auburn-UNC and Georgia-Virginia season kickoff games in Atlanta are cancelled.
6. All OOC opponents must meet the ACC medical protocols in addition to whatever their own conferences require.
7. ACC championship game will be December 12th or 19th in Charlotte, allowing a fudge week in case of need to reschedule games during the season. The two teams with best conference records will play for the championship--OOC games do not count in this calculation.

ACC sets 11-game schedule, includes Notre Dame

I've believed for a few weeks now that we're probably headed for a Conference+1 scheduling model. This move by the ACC makes that seem even more likely.

EDIT and p.s. Reading a little more from sources like this one (SEC football schedule 2020: ADs approve 10 league-only games as ACC allows nonconference matchups, per report ), it is quite possible a few journalists may be misunderstanding what they heard on the down-low from someone inside the SEC tent.

Here's what I mean. The ADs have two main issues in deciding on a scheduling model: (a) how many conference games to play, and (b) whether/how many OOC games to allow. The in-conference decision has a lot of detailed pieces, like whether to retain division structure, how to decide which teams go to the conference championship game, what rivalries to protect, etc. The OOC decision is kind of divorced from much of that, though it has to mesh well with the in-conference piece.

So....what if the ADs agreed today to go with 10-game in-conference schedule. They might not have said anything (yet) about the OOC piece. And someone leaked the 10-game bit to a few folks in the media, who are running with it. But some of them have misunderstood what they heard, and are assuming that means no OOC games. When that may not be part of today's decision at all.

Meh, time will tell. I still think a +1 model is more likely for the SEC.

Last edited:
https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/29/sec-football-schedule-news-conference-only

"The SEC is moving closer to an agreement on a conference-only schedule of 10 games, multiple sources told Sports Illustrated. During a virtual meeting on Wednesday, a majority of athletic directors approved the idea of an SEC-only, 10-game schedule. However, the schedule must be ratified by league presidents. SEC presidents are expected to meet virtually Thursday to seriously discuss the matter. It is unclear if they will vote then or delay a decision until next week. The NCAA Board of Governors is scheduled to meet Tuesday in what could be a momentous event for the 2020–21 college athletic season. Officials there could postpone or cancel fall championships, eliminating year-ending championships for sports such as FCS football, volleyball and soccer, or moving those to the spring."

Goodbye Oklahoma game

Russ Delinger reported it on the Finebaum show today very likely SEC does 10 game conference schedule and keeps 1 non conference game

Ross not Russ check his Twitter on it

I think we add two SEC games and keep the Oklahoma game. Who wants to play LSU and A&M this season lol

Who’s ready to go 13-0? It’s been done before.
hell yea!

Goodbye Oklahoma game
At least we may have a season. Still will not be legitimate because I’m sure there will be a few games where one team will be at a a disadvantage because of players testing positive for COVID and how the quarantine rules will effect their roster vs. their opponent. Teams with the best quality depth will have more of an advantage than they normally do.

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
ACC is scheduling regionally also to reduce travel. Their schedules are completely different. SEC may retool schedules also.

The SEC is going to eat each other. This will be a bloodbath and every weekend will be exciting.
I just hope Pruitt has us prepared better than the last two starts of the season.

Reactions: onevol74

VN Store

Back