Concrete Patio help needed

Removing the concrete, repouring and then stamping is the only way if you have to have the stamped looked. It will not be cheap as a smaller area cost more to stamp as it is labor intensive.

There is s topping that could be installed at 2” Thick to give you enough depth to stamp it. But the labor to chip the existing concrete down and then bush bit it until it’s completely flat would be ridiculous.

If you want to stamp it, just jackhammer it all out, form it and pour the entire area new.

Coming from a different angle one option that could save the existing is when you pour the new concrete, leave a transition strip at the edge of the old and the new. Maybe make a border around the whole thing. Then stamp the rest. Make the strip look different from both old and new. That way it should look like it was done on purpose. Depending on your patio furniture it could help define different areas and different uses. Idk if you want that, but something to think about. Maybe hit them all with the same stain afterwards to blend appearances

Coming from a different angle one option that could save the existing is when you pour the new concrete, leave a transition strip at the edge of the old and the new. Maybe make a border around the whole thing. Then stamp the rest. Make the strip look different from both old and new. That way it should look like it was done on purpose. Depending on your patio furniture it could help define different areas and different uses. Idk if you want that, but something to think about. Maybe hit them all with the same stain afterwards to blend appearances
Yes, I was planning on a border of pavers, which will be used as accents in other areas of the new decking too.

Grinding concrete is extremely expensive and labor intensive. If you cant break it up with a border like louder suggested and stain it, etc...then its jackhammer time. Get plenty of quotes and references on the new stamped part...skill level and quality of work can vary greatly in stamped concrete...and once its poured, its over. Best of luck

I can tell you this, doing pavers was going to cost over twice as much as stamped concrete.

That depends on the company and one's commitment to negotiate.

We are actually able to do them at just over $10/SF, and it's about $8 for colored, stamped concrete. When we built about 7 years ago, I was able to get our pavers down to $8, but we had a large area with the driveway and patios.

That depends on the company and one's commitment to negotiate.

We are actually able to do them at just over $10/SF, and it's about $8 for colored, stamped concrete. When we built about 7 years ago, I was able to get our pavers down to $8, but we had a large area with the driveway and patios.
I did about 800 sqft stamped for about $3000 maybe $3500. But I did some of the work myself and the stuff I didn't do I subbed out to different folks and rather than going with one guy to do it all. I did all the planning, drawing it up on the cad. I bought all the materials myself and had everything waiting on the people doing the work. I have a tractor with a grader blade so I leveled and spread all the rock. I did some of the forming and what I didn't do I laid it out for the guy so he didn't have to figure it out for himself. I planned it out to use one cement load exactly, 10 yards and it came out real close, only about a half of a wheelbarrel left.

I realize it's not practical for everyone to do all that I did but when I figured what it was going to cost in pavers, it was a lot more.

If you do decide on stamped concrete, make sure you use 4000psi, and fiber reinforced and use wire. It seems like overkill but it's worth the extra to do it, imo.

@kiddiedoc I messaged my friend that does this work. He said pavers usually run 2-3 times more than stamped concrete. He said to make sure you know what your'e getting if you go that route cause he said those numbers do add up to what he's seen.

He is a pool installer and because of the weather he has time to work in some projects so if you are interested I can share his contact info with you. I can vouch for him as a very good and honest guy that does very good work. I don't know that he can save you any money but he can rip out the old pad, carry off the concrete, get the site ready for the new pad, pour the concrete and stamp, and clean-up and prepare the area for landscaping. Just let me know and I'll shoot you his contact info.

Grinding is definitely not something I would personally recommen. As others have said that will just make the surface uneven, it will also leave waves on the pad. If you're more interested in a new different looking surface epoxy may be the way to go. I'm assuming you have French doors, there should be 1/2" clearance at the bottom of the door, not counting the threshold, so you can lay tile just be mindful of the thickness of the tile and know the door sweep could be something that needs modified as well.

My opinion, alleviate the door concern by replacing the French doors with a sliding one and then lay whatever you want on the pad. Should be cheaper and faster that way.

I did about 800 sqft stamped for about $3000 maybe $3500. But I did some of the work myself and the stuff I didn't do I subbed out to different folks and rather than going with one guy to do it all. I did all the planning, drawing it up on the cad. I bought all the materials myself and had everything waiting on the people doing the work. I have a tractor with a grader blade so I leveled and spread all the rock. I did some of the forming and what I didn't do I laid it out for the guy so he didn't have to figure it out for himself. I planned it out to use one cement load exactly, 10 yards and it came out real close, only about a half of a wheelbarrel left.

I realize it's not practical for everyone to do all that I did but when I figured what it was going to cost in pavers, it was a lot more.

If you do decide on stamped concrete, make sure you use 4000psi, and fiber reinforced and use wire. It seems like overkill but it's worth the extra to do it, imo.

Good info, thanks. We are actually doing a pool, so I'm needing the slab to coordinate. The pool company just hasn't really seemed interested in working on the existing concrete. They are the ones who have quoted the different decking prices.

In response to this above post about tile: there is definitely not enough room to add even 1/2" of thickness without taking the patio higher than the door threshold.

Similar situation. Had an older patio slab. Didn't want to hammer it up. Tried stain on the brushed surface. Didn't quite get the look the wife wanted so I went with some outdoor tile that looked like a textured hardwood. Kept the grout lines small/tight. Turned out pretty nice. Going on 3 years and it still looks great.

I can tell you this, doing pavers was going to cost over twice as much as stamped concrete.
Some pay nearly the same and they shouldn't.
I installed both on a regular basis for around 20 years. The cost of pavers is so high because of the the supplier market price mostly. The installer is passing along that cost.
The cost of stamped is more in the hands of the installer. I found stamping easier (personal preference) but did stamp work for $2.50 psf more than regular broom finishes.
This covered the cost of the color, stamp realease agent and the sealant.

I'm seeing prices jacked well north of that now. Both are definitely negotiable but stamped SHOULD be much more so.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
@chargervol , Do $7.50/SF for stamped and colored concrete and $10/SF for pavers seem like fair prices? One company tried to quote me $15-20 for pavers, but I had already priced them and talked to a few builders, so I knew that was high.

Good info, thanks. We are actually doing a pool, so I'm needing the slab to coordinate. The pool company just hasn't really seemed interested in working on the existing concrete. They are the ones who have quoted the different decking prices.

In response to this above post about tile: there is definitely not enough room to add even 1/2" of thickness without taking the patio higher than the door threshold.

Who do you have doing the pool?

@chargervol , Do $7.50/SF for stamped and colored concrete and $10/SF for pavers seem like fair prices? One company tried to quote me $15-20 for pavers, but I had already priced them and talked to a few builders, so I knew that was high.
Sorry, I haven't been involved in a few years, not up to date on pricing. Invol and other recent customers would know more.

Pavers will depend a lot on the paver manufacturer. For instance, in my time, products from Red River were much cheaper than say, Belgard. Quality was equal.

I feel like $7.50 is high in the stamped. Something small like your project will probably require a higher cost as it’s a small project.

I get entire slabs, with gravel, gradestakes, plastic and 4” of 3k mix concrete with fiber and 2% poured at $4.75 per square foot.

@kiddiedoc I messaged my friend that does this work. He said pavers usually run 2-3 times more than stamped concrete. He said to make sure you know what your'e getting if you go that route cause he said those numbers do add up to what he's seen.

He is a pool installer and because of the weather he has time to work in some projects so if you are interested I can share his contact info with you. I can vouch for him as a very good and honest guy that does very good work. I don't know that he can save you any money but he can rip out the old pad, carry off the concrete, get the site ready for the new pad, pour the concrete and stamp, and clean-up and prepare the area for landscaping. Just let me know and I'll shoot you his contact info.

OP will certainly be satisfied if the old slab is removed and a new slab is poured provided the work is done correctly. It might cost a little more? ,but it will look much better. Probably last longer too.

Last edited:
Reactions: InVOLuntary

VN Store

Back