Comparing 2018 and 2019 baseball rosters

So you want us to work for it now? Atleast you could of put this in a spread sheet or something for us. Be a team player or something..;) You should also put Baseball in the title I was expecting football

I added ‘baseball’ to the title. The way my phone displays this message board, I see things displayed as the “Tennessee Vols Baseball Forum” so I thought my post wouldn’t show otherwise - all is good :)

No big surprises...maybe Chinea, Darling, Benoit maybe Stapp...

Thought it’d be easier to just use this than to start a new thread but with the season starting in a month I’m curious everyone’s opinion on who the starters will be this year. I’m thinking:
C: Landon Gray
1B: L Lipscius
2B: Charleston
3B: Andre
SS: Ricky Martinez
LF: Al Soularie
CF: Daniels
RF: Ammo
I think the initial rotation will be crochet, stallings, Neely with Hunley working the midweek games again.

Last edited:
I think you are close, but Charleston will end up in LF and a freshman will be at 2B. L. Lipscius should platoon at first. You left out who you think will DH.?.?.?.?

How I forgot a DH is beyond me but I think Derkay is the first DH and they give trammel some looks as well. Soularie is a dude. I’d be surprised if he isn’t in the lineup opening day.

Reactions: RollerVol
Only if Derkay gets hits. No walks need at DH.

I love RM at SS and the twins at the corners.

Thought it’d be easier to just use this than to start a new thread but with the season starting in a month I’m curious everyone’s opinion on who the starters will be this year. I’m thinking:
C: Landon Gray
1B: L Lipscius
2B: Charleston
3B: Andre
SS: Ricky Martinez
LF: Al Soularie
CF: Daniels
RF: Ammo
I think the initial rotation will be crochet, stallings, Neely with Hunley working the midweek games again.
This would be mine with Derkay or Trammel getting looks at DH. Starting rotation I think you’re spot. Soularie Can play infield as well.

FWIW, the 2019 roster no longer has jersey numbers with the players’ photos. Guys are listed in alphabetical order.

Getting closer! Went to the banquet last night. Was great listening to Honeycutt and seeing some old friends. Rick had some good stories. Overall, we have some good looking players with size as compared to years past. Plus, walking by some of the pitchers last night (Crochet, Hunley, Lingo, etc) I realized how short I really am. Ha ha.

Reactions: StarRaider
Getting closer! Went to the banquet last night. Was great listening to Honeycutt and seeing some old friends. Rick had some good stories. Overall, we have some good looking players with size as compared to years past. Plus, walking by some of the pitchers last night (Crochet, Hunley, Lingo, etc) I realized how short I really am. Ha ha.
There was a signee there last night with a full beard and long hair. This pitcher is probably 6’9” or taller. When he releases the ball, he’ll be halfway home with it. Looking at things, he’ll be the tallest on the team.

Listened to Coach Vitello's interview with John and Jimmy from Friday. Some interesting tidbits from the interview:

-Said the turf installation is going great. Said stitching is almost done. The "fill" should be done in about a week (sand, rubber, cork that goes into the turf). Plans to make everything first class with our stadium. Turf was only the first step. Says there will be no excuses not to have success at UT.
-It's been a little bit of an adjustment for the team not being able to use the field, but coaches have northern backgrounds and have had seasons where they didn't get outside until the first game. Old hat to them.
-Says the pitching and catching will be better this year than last. Feels great about Landon Gray (juco) and Connor Pavalony (freshman) behind the plate defensively. Even Pete Derkay has really improved his catching skills as a third option. Says catching is "cleaner" this year. Core of pitching is coming back and another year in the program with coach Anderson is huge.
-Feels really good with 9-10 guys on the mound. Feels like 10 man pitching staff is for the most part filled. He mentioned Linginfelter, Stallings, Neely, Hunley, Crochet, Schultz, Walsh, Heflin, and Wallace by name.
-Really excited about strength and conditioning results. Coach Q has done a great job there and you can see the results in body changes.
-Freshmen Jake Rucker and Max Ferguson are competing for the 2nd base position. Jay Charleston will start the year in CF.
-Feels really good with 5-6 freshmen pitchers. They are the future of the program, but may not play a huge role this year due to the core of the innings probably coming from the older guys.
-Feels confident that all positions are locked in except for second base, left field, and DH. Said they have guys that have played those positions in the past that are in healthy competitions with other guys.
-Coaches and players are more comfortable this year. More confidence around the team and program. No guarantees until you see it on the field, but everybody is antsy to get going.

Just from his comments and reading the tea leaves, I would think the starting lineup would look something like this:

C: Gray/Pavolony
1B: Derkay
2B: Rucker/Ferguson
SS: Martinez
3B: A Lipcius
RF: Ammons
CF: Charleston
LF: Soulaire/Daniels/Russell
DH: Could really be anyone based on matchups. Any of the above guys not playing in the field, or Mascia, Trammel, L Lipcius.

Ni
Listened to Coach Vitello's interview with John and Jimmy from Friday. Some interesting tidbits from the interview:

-Said the turf installation is going great. Said stitching is almost done. The "fill" should be done in about a week (sand, rubber, cork that goes into the turf). Plans to make everything first class with our stadium. Turf was only the first step. Says there will be no excuses not to have success at UT.
-It's been a little bit of an adjustment for the team not being able to use the field, but coaches have northern backgrounds and have had seasons where they didn't get outside until the first game. Old hat to them.
-Says the pitching and catching will be better this year than last. Feels great about Landon Gray (juco) and Connor Pavalony (freshman) behind the plate defensively. Even Pete Derkay has really improved his catching skills as a third option. Says catching is "cleaner" this year. Core of pitching is coming back and another year in the program with coach Anderson is huge.
-Feels really good with 9-10 guys on the mound. Feels like 10 man pitching staff is for the most part filled. He mentioned Linginfelter, Stallings, Neely, Hunley, Crochet, Schultz, Walsh, Heflin, and Wallace by name.
-Really excited about strength and conditioning results. Coach Q has done a great job there and you can see the results in body changes.
-Freshmen Jake Rucker and Max Ferguson are competing for the 2nd base position. Jay Charleston will start the year in CF.
-Feels really good with 5-6 freshmen pitchers. They are the future of the program, but may not play a huge role this year due to the core of the innings probably coming from the older guys.
-Feels confident that all positions are locked in except for second base, left field, and DH. Said they have guys that have played those positions in the past that are in healthy competitions with other guys.
-Coaches and players are more comfortable this year. More confidence around the team and program. No guarantees until you see it on the field, but everybody is antsy to get going.

Just from his comments and reading the tea leaves, I would think the starting lineup would look something like this:

DH: Could really be anyone based on matchups. Any of the above guys not playing in the field, or Mascia, Trammel, L Lipcius.[/QUOTE

Nice recap, thanks! I’m thinking L. Lipcius at 1b though. Derkay will be battling for DH but I think Daniels and Trammell are more likely due to power potential. I assume he will get time at 1b and third team catcher. Lipcius brings a little mire pop imo and is a good defensive player.

DH: Could really be anyone based on matchups. Any of the above guys not playing in the field, or Mascia, Trammel, L Lipcius.

It said that Derkay was 3rd string catcher. Where do you get 1st.

Luke is my pick for 1st.

It said that Derkay was 3rd string catcher. Where do you get 1st.

Luke is my pick for 1st.

Well, Derkay did start almost every game at 1st last year. I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to say he may be there a lot this year as well.

And he’s just the emergency guy behind the plate if needed. Doesn’t mean he can’t play 1st or DH.

VN Store

Back