*****Community AD/Coaching Search reference post.

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
We had a request to put together a post which tracks actual media reports regarding the AD and coaching search at Tennessee. This is a community effort, so feel free to add to the thread or email me and I or the mods will update the post accordingly.

Tuesday, 1/19
  • "Tennessee has not year cleared acting head football coach Kevin Steele to hire assistant coaches or extend the contracts of current UT assistants, per a UT spokesman. That is expected to be resolved later this week." - Jimmy Hyams
  • To assist with its AD search, Tennessee has secured the search firm it used to hire Derrick Dooley, Cuonzo Martin and Dave Serrano.

Wednesday, 1/20
Thursday, 1/21
  • Jon Gilbert has informed ECU that he is not and will not be involved in the Tennessee AD search.
  • Danny White (UCF) has been hired to be the next Athletic Director.
  • Bill O'Brien named OC at Alabama
Saturday, 1/23

-Danny White will bring in a search firm to help with the hire. He cited the need for privacy.

-Clemson OC Tony Elliot is high on Danny White’s list of candidates at Tennessee, per Bruce Feldman. Other candidates mentioned: Hugh Freeze, Billy Napier, Jamey Chadwell, Lance Leipold, Bill Clark, Will Healy, Scott Satterfield, Bill O’Brien.

“There is one non-head coach we think Tennessee might consider: Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott is one of the top assistant coaches in college football. He’s won a Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant, and you could see how much the Tigers missed him against Ohio State last week when he was unable to coach in the game due to COVID-19. Elliott was someone South Carolina wanted to talk to for its coaching search, but he declined interest in the Tigers’ arch-rival. Would he listen if Tennessee reached out to him? We’re not sure at this point.”

-Neal Brown is NOT a candidate per Pat Forde.

Monday, 1/25

-Report: PJ Fleck 'not interested' in Tennessee job

-James Franklin likely remaining at Penn St per Austin Price.

Tuesday, 1/26

-Tony Elliott reaching out to potential assistant coaches.
-Big 12: Iowa State football coach Matt Campbell's contract to be renegotiated
-5:30 -Nobody has a clue what’s happening next.

Wednesday, 1/27
-team meeting called for 8am
-Pete Thamel reporting Josh Heupel the new head coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Reactions: 87&91ALUM
We feel like Tennessee would like to get their new athletic director finished out sooner rather than later. A couple of sources have suggested that by the weekend is a possibility in terms of hiring a replacement for retiring AD Phillip Fulmer. No matter what, we don’t see this dragging on much past the middle of next week at the latest unless Tennessee fails to land their choice.
hubbs

We had a request to put together a post which tracks actual media reports regarding the AD and coaching search at Tennessee. This is a community effort, so feel free to add to the thread or email me and I or the mods will update the post accordingly.

Tuesday, 1/19
  • "Tennessee has not year cleared acting head football coach Kevin Steele to hire assistant coaches or extend the contracts of current UT assistants, per a UT spokesman. That is expected to be resolved later this week." - Jimmy Hyams

Wednesday, 1/20
You the Man!

Unless Steele is going to be the HC coach or they have a working agreement with somebody lined up to be the next coach and they have an AD hired but not officially how could you possibly make hires before an AD or HC have been named. If the hiring of assistants before a new coach or AD has even been named and given a chance to make up his on staff then this just reeks of typical stupidity on the Hill.

Reactions: volfan8
I had been hearing Tennessee wants to have an AD in place by next week, but now I'm hearing a different timeline.

Now I'm hearing this weekend.

Not sure if a sense of urgency from this player exodus has changed things or I just got new information that isn't connected to that, to be honest.

They DEFINITELY want a sitting athletic director, not a No. 2 elsewhere, which I think is smart.
Rucker

Why pay him anything if he is retiring?

Lost respect for Fulmer. I guess money is the root of all evil. While I understand he had a contract, he had no business granting an extension last year and the football program crumbled under his watch. Nothing in his contract about compliance? We all knew he didn’t leave on his own. Very frustrating to see everything unravel while he collects a check AGAIN while sitting on his couch.

Tuesday, 1/19
  • To assist with its AD search, Tennessee has secured the search firm it used to hire Derrick Dooley, Cuonzo Martin and Dave Serrano.

Wednesday, 1/20
Thank you for proving a place for somewhat reliable reporting without all the hyperbole and hyperventilating!

Reactions: Vol49er
I can only see this as a payout to Fulmer to go away and keep his mouth shut.

He shouldn't get paid big money to just retire so there's more to this than we know.

He's really gotten filthy rich off of Tennessee footVol.

Losing Fulmer also makes me wonder how the power struggles between the Haslams and his group will come out between the other big $$$ boosters and their group.

I wish all of those rich guys would just come together right NOW and decide to pay whatever it takes to hire the best AD, the best HC and the best coaching and support staff they need to get our Vols back in the top 10 ASAP no matter how much the costs are.

I figured I'd dream big since I'm dreaming anyway, LOL!

VFL...GBO!!!

VN Store

Back