Comments < Last Night's Officiating

He knows how to disrupt Calapari's offense. What hurt the VOLS last night in the last 8 minutes was a lack of poise. They didn't work the ball and run down the shot clock like they had been doing all night. It is much easier to contain UK transition opportunities on a short rebound versus a long rebound. The VOLS took too many outside shots in the three to four minute span that the game got away from them. On another note, I think we now know how to defense Cousins. I say next time let Williams and Pearl use up all of their fouls and put him on the line. Get in his kitchen, get physical with him. CHism outplayed Cousins last night, too bad Dickie V didn't have a mangasm over that like he did Wall and Calapari.

Speaking of fouls, talk to Vandy's game officials. 43 free throw attemps in each of the last two home games alone. Seems kind of high to me. But I do not pretend to know anything substantial about basketball. I'll leave that to you guys.
You just hit on why Vandy is tough to beat at home. They go to the foul line much more than their opponent.

In the last two games, the VOLS opponents have shot 73 free throws while we have shot only 32. It almost impossible to win in that situation.

You just hit on why Vandy is tough to beat at home. They go to the foul line much more than their opponent.

In the last two games, the VOLS opponents have shot 73 free throws while we have shot only 32. It almost impossible to win in that situation.

It seems obvious to me. How can the league not take notice of this? I will definitely look to see how many FT attempts they get in their next home and away games. It's generally assumed that the home refs are going to give you more calls, but they doubled the calls for Vandy when we played and did the same vs LSU. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I've never gotten the hate for JP. You know he's going to scrap, play good defense, distribute the ball, slash . . . and about 3 times a game he's going to make you want to pull your hair out. He just is what he is and you have to accept the bad with the good. All in all I think he bails out the offense more than he hurts it.

I dislike him because he is an idiot. The guy just does some of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

I dislike him because he is an idiot. The guy just does some of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Thank you for the great example of some of the brilliance on these boards. You hate him because he is an idiot. I don't even know where to start with this comment. An academic performer and one of our better players. An idiot? I'm just not seeing it. What's funny is that I'm not even that much of a JP fan but I cannot get over the illogical, "idiotic" comments about him. "The guy does some of the dumbest things I've ever seen"... He's one of the smartest players on the team on and off the court, goodness at least make a decent argument.

I've never gotten the hate for JP. You know he's going to scrap, play good defense, distribute the ball, slash . . . and about 3 times a game he's going to make you want to pull your hair out. He just is what he is and you have to accept the bad with the good. All in all I think he bails out the offense more than he hurts it.

I think this is exactly right.

Thank you for the great example of some of the brilliance on these boards. You hate him because he is an idiot. I don't even know where to start with this comment. An academic performer and one of our better players. An idiot? I'm just not seeing it. What's funny is that I'm not even that much of a JP fan but I cannot get over the illogical, "idiotic" comments about him. "The guy does some of the dumbest things I've ever seen"... He's one of the smartest players on the team on and off the court, goodness at least make a decent argument.

We generally agree, but it's impossible to make an argument that he's a smart player ON the court.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

We generally agree, but it's impossible to make an argument that he's a smart player ON the court.

He has his moments, but too often the good outweighs the bad. Like going out of his way to foul a three point shooter every game.

JP's developing habit of fouling 3pt shooters is not at the height of anyone's basketball intelligence, I can't argue that fact. I guess what I don't understand is how the vast majority of ppl completely miss the fact that JP executed the offense very very well last night. Controlling the ball, controlling the clock, penetrating to the lane, and creating plays is how you attack Kentucky. Prince did a great job of that last night. Is his outside shot great, no, should be be driving to lane, yes. I think he played well and I don't see where all the opinionated, subjective criticism is factually supported.

JP's developing habit of fouling 3pt shooters is not at the height of anyone's basketball intelligence, I can't argue that fact. I guess what I don't understand is how the vast majority of ppl completely miss the fact that JP executed the offense very very well last night. Controlling the ball, controlling the clock, penetrating to the lane, and creating plays is how you attack Kentucky. Prince did a great job of that last night. Is his outside shot great, no, should be be driving to lane, yes. I think he played well and I don't see where all the opinionated, subjective criticism is factually supported.

The guy is a contributed for us and makes a difference, but he's too worried about what the crowd thinks and how he is perceived, from fans and opposition alike, on the court. He has great hands and long reach he uses well. On the downside, he charges 234 times per week, cherry picks badly, takes defensive possessions off, hangs on rims and can't shoot.

For this team, he's one of our best players. He's the type that could make a zone D nasty, but would get killed in said zone because he would rarely rotate and would never board.

I lament the fact that when J.P. was 5 years old his daddy never taught him BBall fundamentals. If that kid would have been taught a proper jump shot and how to use both hands he would be a lottery pick.

LawVol, many times we disagree...but you hit the nail on the head with this post! Thanks for the detail & insight.

As for Woolridge, he's a big body. Is he great, of course not, but he's needed to give Chism some fresh air, and help out Hall. Perfect situation, no, but comparing his minutes to Maze and Goins is illogical, they serve different purposes.

I agree with almost all of your post, but I am one of the posters questioning Woolridge's playing time. While I realize that Maze and Goins are our point guards, I didn't think that meant it had to be one or the other at all times (especially in the second half after they had both shown the ability to score and weren't in foul trouble).

Your point about Woolridge playing a different position is well taken. I guess it just seems to me that there is a problem when he is getting more time than either of two players that are on what is becoming a short list of playmakers. Coach Pearl alluded to needing more out of him as well and that he is contemplating doing something different at that position.

Anyway, I appreciate the post even if you think my bball IQ is low.

You definitely have to take the good with the bad when it comes to JP, however, I have noticed something about him that bothers me. Sometimes he just doesn't hustle. I know I sound like a middle school coach, but watch him. Sometimes there will be a loose ball that another player is a little closer to so he just won't try to get it.

I've also noticed that when he turns the ball over instead of trying to chase the player down he will just stand there and look at the player he was trying to pass to with frustration. Granted the majority of the time it won't make a difference but there are those times you catch a guy from behind and knock the ball free. It even happens in football (Think DeSean Jackson, or the entire Eagles team for that matter)

Anyways thats my beef with JP

I lament the fact that when J.P. was 5 years old his daddy never taught him BBall fundamentals. If that kid would have been taught a proper jump shot and how to use both hands he would be a lottery pick.

I totally agree, he gets by on raw talent for sure. There aren't to many big time players that can't shoot layups with both hands. His inability to use his right hand gets him in trouble. More than once I have heard the color commentators (the ones who actually played basketball and didn't just go to broadcast school) say you have to respect his ability to drive to his left, but not so much his right. His free throw shooting is painful to watch as well.

TNLAWVOL, I played at Maryville as well (way before you did) I actually at some point have played against you. I was one of the older guys who used to come up over Christmas break to play. Anyway....

I think my issues with JP isn't from a stat standpoint but from a timing. He tends to make really bad mistakes during crucial moments of the game. Now that being said, I do think he played well against KY.

To me, JP is akin to Arian Foster. A solid player who screws up at the worst possible moment. He's got all the ability, but he just doesn't have the solid timing (think the opposite end of the spectrum of Dane Bradshaw).

VN Store

Back