Comments from Chris Dortch... "Tennessee has upgraded across the board"

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Chris Dortch was on Sports Talk. He had some interesting takes.

--It may be old news (I'd never heard it) and not surprising, but he said that Dalton Knecht improved his jump shot within two weeks of arriving in Knoxville. His shot was a little flat when he got here, and he corrected that after arriving on campus. Knecht has a work ethic like few he's seen.

--He said this Tennessee team has arguably upgraded across the board. At center, Felix Okpara, he wants to dunk everything at one end at block everything on the other. He's stronger, longer, and more aggressive than Aidoo. Opkara played well down the stretch last year and will get even better. He has a jump hook and Tennessee will teach him to put a little more air under that shot which will make him basically unguardable. Aidoo was chill, and that's fine, but if you're going to play the five in a power conference, you can't be chill.

--Igor Milicic is the son of a coach and plays like it. You can run offense for him and you can run offense through him. He's a great passer and a great trail jump shooter, especially from three -- his numbers are off the charts. He's a great defensive rebounder, one of the best in the county. He's a versatile player that can do all sorts of things, where Toby Awaka was still a young guy trying to come into his own.

--Darlinstone Dubar... is he better than JJJ and Vescovi? He can play the two through the five. He's another great jump shooter. He shoots off the charts from the corners. Last year he 45% from beyond the arc from the left corner and 56% from the right corner. He's a shot blocker, a rebounder, a multi-skilled guy.

--Almost every time Tennessee lost a game last year they started out slow and missed chippies around the rim. All three of these newcomers have high percentages around the rim. Okpara shot 68% around the basket.

--Sure they'll miss Knecht, but coaches will tell you they'd rather spread it around than rely on one person.

I’m excited about the potential of this team. Should be a fun season. But I’m not sure about “upgrading across the board.” That to me implies we’ll be better than last year if we upgraded everywhere, and I’m just not sure I’m at the point yet I can expect this team to be Top 5 for most of the year like the DK team.

Still, going to be really fun to watch even if we may drop a couple more games. Should be another year of solid offense and not just having to rely on suffocating teams defensively.

He makes an interesting point. I confess to thinking during this past season that the 2023 team represented the last and possibly even best shot Barnes was going to get to reach the Final Four at Tennessee. The imports and roster changes have given me second thoughts about that. I'm not sold, but I admit being curious to see what UT will make of this clearly talented bunch this year. They may have put together enough of a group to squeeze off one more round from the current era, even more so if Lanier somehow made it to Knoxville.

--It may be old news (I'd never heard it) and not surprising, but he said that Dalton Knecht improved his jump shot within two weeks of arriving in Knoxville. His shot was a little flat when he got here, and he corrected that after arriving on campus. Knecht has a work ethic like few he's seen.

--He said this Tennessee team has arguably upgraded across the board. At center, Felix Okpara, he wants to dunk everything at one end at block everything on the other. He's stronger, longer, and more aggressive than Aidoo. Opkara played well down the stretch last year and will get even better. He has a jump hook and Tennessee will teach him to put a little more air under that shot which will make him basically unguardable. Aidoo was chill, and that's fine, but if you're going to play the five in a power conference, you can't be chill.

--Igor Milicic is the son of a coach and plays like it. You can run offense for him and you can run offense through him. He's a great passer and a great trail jump shooter, especially from three -- his numbers are off the charts. He's a great defensive rebounder, one of the best in the county. He's a versatile player that can do all sorts of things, where Toby Awaka was still a young guy trying to come into his own.

--Darlinstone Dubar... is he better than JJJ and Vescovi? He can play the two through the five. He's another great jump shooter. He shoots off the charts from the corners. Last year he 45% from beyond the arc from the left corner and 56% from the right corner. He's a shot blocker, a rebounder, a multi-skilled guy.

--Almost every time Tennessee lost a game last year they started out slow and missed chippies around the rim. All three of these newcomers have high percentages around the rim. Okpara shot 68% around the basket.

--Sure they'll miss Knecht, but coaches will tell you they'd rather spread it around than rely on one person.
But, but, but we’ve got some couch coaches on here who have said that Barnes didn’t teach Knecht anything. Guess that shot improvement thing happened on its own.

If we do get Lanier, this looks to me like a potentially better all around team than last year's team, which too often was DK or bust. Now he rarely let us down, but the reality was that aside from ZZ and occasionally Aidoo, there was nowhere else Barnes could count on for any consistent offense.

I'll always love JJJ and SV, but as we're sitting here right now Igor, Dubar, and Lanier appear to be upgrades, but of course we're going to have to see it happen at this level. The intangibles and leadership that was a huge part of their value will be picked up by ZZ and Mashack. I think after seeing how soft Aidoo was in big spots, we're going to love Okpara.

What we'll get from Carr and Estrella are two potential wild cards, and I would expect Gainey to step up after a disappointing season. This looks like it will be a typically competitive Barnes team with potentially the most balance we have seen in his time here. I'm way more fired up for this season than I thought would be possible.

Last edited:
I’m excited about the potential of this team. Should be a fun season. But I’m not sure about “upgrading across the board.” That to me implies we’ll be better than last year if we upgraded everywhere, and I’m just not sure I’m at the point yet I can expect this team to be Top 5 for most of the year like the DK team.

Still, going to be really fun to watch even if we may drop a couple more games. Should be another year of solid offense and not just having to rely on suffocating teams defensively.
I think there may be some nuance in the statement "they upgraded across the board". I think that applies to the positions that we experienced losses at, and have recruited direct replacements for those spots, so far.

JJJ - Dubar
Awaka - Milicic
Aidoo - Okpara

Those all seem like upgrades or even trades, at worst, to me, especially on the offensive end where we will need help covering the scoring punch vacated by Knecht.

I don't know that there is a direct correlation that improving across the board equals more success because it doesn't factor in that we also lost 10 combine years of experience in this system from those 3 guys, plus another 6 years from Knecht and Vescovi. I think it is strictly an improvement in talent, player for player, so far. Lanier will help replace Knecht and Vescovi, but will be a downgrade most likely, if he commits. But no one was replacing those two guys with equal production.

I think there may be some nuance in the statement "they upgraded across the board". I think that applies to the positions that we experienced losses at, and have recruited direct replacements for those spots, so far.

JJJ - Dubar
Awaka - Milicic
Aidoo - Okpara

Those all seem like upgrades or even trades, at worst, to me, especially on the offensive end where we will need help covering the scoring punch vacated by Knecht.

I don't know that there is a direct correlation that improving across the board equals more success because it doesn't factor in that we also lost 10 combine years of experience in this system from those 3 guys, plus another 6 years from Knecht and Vescovi. I think it is strictly an improvement in talent, player for player, so far. Lanier will help replace Knecht and Vescovi, but will be a downgrade most likely, if he commits. But no one was replacing those two guys with equal production.

True. I guess we’ll see how it all shakes out. I’m not trying to undercut the off-season we’ve had. I think if you add Lanier we’ve probably ended up at the best case scenario and I’d give us an A+ if he commits. Just a lot of uncertainty with this team next year, perhaps the most we’ve had since entering the 2019-2020 season post Grant Williams/Admiral Schofield era.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
-Almost every time Tennessee lost a game last year they started out slow and missed chippies around the rim. All three of these newcomers have high percentages around the rim. Okpara shot 68% around the basket.

I did hear the interview this morning and the statement above is what stood out to me. Earlier I was thinking about this very point. I can think of 5-6 games where the opening 5 minutes we missed a bunch of "chippies" 🤷‍♂️ and we struggled to overcome them. And I definitely don't want to slam on Jonas but he was usually the culprit. Hopefully we have a couple of guys who can take contact/intimidation in the post and play through it and score (and for goodness sakes have strong hands). CLEARLY last years team was exceptionally entertaining and will go down as one of the all time beloved teams on The Hill but if we land Lanier....the potential will be in place for another entertaining year IMO.

I think the floor of next years team is higher but the ceiling is lower. Vescovi and JJJ were great leaders but when they were cold they would play timid and hot potato the ball. Same can be said for Aidoo when he was hitting vs not. When they hit shots and things were spreading around the team last year could blast anyone. I think with a more balanced offense and with players that ideally can make layups and will not be afraid to drive to the hoop and dunk they should not suffer from same droughts.

Not having a Knecht that can go supernova for 8-10 point stretches will lower the ceiling of the team.

I’m waiting on Carr to have a breakout year.
Yeah in the transfer portal era I think attention has not been paid as much to development either. We're bringing in talented players but players like Z, Jahmai, and J. Gainey and especially Carr, Estrella and Phillips should also be better than they were last year

We don’t need someone like DK that takes over games to be successful. However I think it does help to have a clear cut #1 guy we can go to when we need a bucket. Is Lanier capable of being the go to guy? Or is it Milicic?
I know what you're saying, but we'll miss his ability to take over a game next season. Depending on him too much is the problem, but having someone with the ability to do that is a real ace in the hole. Truthfully, we have no idea how any of our portal guys will function in this league except perhaps Okpara. Lotta hope and prayer I suspect.

But, but, but we’ve got some couch coaches on here who have said that Barnes didn’t teach Knecht anything. Guess that shot improvement thing happened on its own.
So many folks agreed with Barnes improving him defensively, but stubbornly refused to acknowledge anything offensively. That high release point Barnes teaches was crucial in helping Knecht do what he did. Athletic, strong shooter with a high release could be deadly. Oh yeah, that was Knecht and Barnes absolutely improved his offense in a number of ways.

Perfect description of Igor - “You can run offense for him, or you can run offense through him…he’s a great defensive rebounder, one of the best in the country.”

Two years ago we needed a guy who could take over a game and get a bucket. Now our “problem” is we need to be more balanced and not rely on one guy.

Having a Knecht is always a net positive. You just can’t have key guys like JJJ/Aidoo/Vescovi disappear like they did.

Reactions: Samthebam

CD is correct.

So many folks agreed with Barnes improving him defensively, but stubbornly refused to acknowledge anything offensively. That high release point Barnes teaches was crucial in helping Knecht do what he did. Athletic, strong shooter with a high release could be deadly. Oh yeah, that was Knecht and Barnes absolutely improved his offense in a number of ways.
Can Barnes make Lanier’s release point higher?

Can Barnes make Lanier’s release point higher?
If anyone can, Barnes can. I don’t think he is going to do anything like a drastic overhaul, but I can see Barnes adjusting a few things to help him in a few ways. Lanier was such an incredibly efficient scorer, I don‘t think you mess with much. I know his shot is a little less than perfect, but if he can get it off in various situations on the court, then all is well.

We've added some good players, by all accounts. But it's all speculation until we see the new team on the court and in games. Knecht, like
Grant Williams, could and did score throughout games--but he was a guy who had the confidence, guts and talent to score when we needed points. One could fairly argue that we were a bit too dependent on him--but at the same time you absolutely need a guy (or two) who can get you a basket with 2 minutes to go in a tie game. Will we have a player or two who can do that next year? We shall see. It's one thing to score in the first 37 minutes of a game and another to put the ball in the basket when the crowd is on its feet, late, and the tension is high.

The other thing is that we were a good, hard-nosed defensive team last year. We won the first bama game with our defense, and some tough defense down the stretch, along with, as I recall, a couple of big Knecht baskets, won us the second bama game as well. We were good defensively against Xavier in the NCAA. What kind of defensive team will we have next year? We don't know. We know that Barnes will emphasize it, but we'll have to see if we've got the players to play defense the way he wants. Maybe. We will miss Santi's defense, for sure, and JJJ too.

Reactions: Seve and Smokey 77
We've added some good players, by all accounts. But it's all speculation until we see the new team on the court and in games. Knecht, like
Grant Williams, could and did score throughout games--but he was a guy who had the confidence, guts and talent to score when we needed points. One could fairly argue that we were a bit too dependent on him--but at the same time you absolutely need a guy (or two) who can get you a basket with 2 minutes to go in a tie game. Will we have a player or two who can do that next year? We shall see. It's one thing to score in the first 37 minutes of a game and another to put the ball in the basket when the crowd is on its feet, late, and the tension is high.

The other thing is that we were a good, hard-nosed defensive team last year. We won the first bama game with our defense, and some tough defense down the stretch, along with, as I recall, a couple of big Knecht baskets, won us the second bama game as well. We were good defensively against Xavier in the NCAA. What kind of defensive team will we have next year? We don't know. We know that Barnes will emphasize it, but we'll have to see if we've got the players to play defense the way he wants. Maybe. We will miss Santi's defense, for sure, and JJJ too.
I’m not worried about our defense at all. Probably will be better on that end.

VN Store

Back