Coming to Memphis

Originally posted by Memphis_Volunteer@Oct 30, 2004 10:24 AM
As far as I'm concerned, West Tennessee is the best part of the state, rednecks and all.

You're freaking crazy.

I live in Memphis, was downtown last weekend for my first visit to FedEx Forum to see the Grizzlies play and I felt completly safe, even south of the arena(where the neighborhood starts, ie. ghetto) This summer I was on Beale for the first time this year and the same thing. Since the FedEx Forum has been built, the city has stepped up and increase the police presence. I don't go down much, I have 3 kids, babysitting costs a fortune :banghead: , anyway, have fun, be safe and be aware of your surroundings.

Rendezvous rawks.

Sweet, I used to go to St. Louis Church (for church, graduated from White Station) growing up. Parents still live down valleybrook so i grew up being able to walk to Corkeys and the rest on the strip right there. Right now I am living in Bartlett. My girlfriend's parents actually live across the street from Quail Ridge's back 9 on blackheath. I think it is number 14 that the tee box is directly across the street, so when I play there I can just wave. Anyhow, I am Across Billy Maher from there.

I was in Memphis a few weeks ago. Stayed there and drove to Oxford. Downtown is as clean as I have ever seen it. It looks better than downtown Nashville, even at it's height of popularity.

That's saying A LOT, b/c I consider downtown Nashville an extremely nice one! Its in the top 5 of cities that I've been to.

Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty nice downtown, but it's not as clean as Memphis was.

Downtown Nashville has gone down just a tad in the past 5-6 years with some of those novelty places closing, ie NASCAR Cafe and Planet Hollywood. Not that they brought alot to the area, but at least there was something in those buildings. There are so many empty buildings dowtown nowadays, it's kind of ridiculous. It could really be nice if a few places, like say Fat Tuesday's opened up there. Plces like that would do well here, imo. Ever since Senache's closed on the corner of 4th and Broadway, I've been saying they need to put a Fat Tuesday's in there. The building that the NASCAR Cafe was in is now just a big eyesore where alot of bums hang out.

I'll definitely agree with that... but at the same time the Colliseium has brought a major change to the opposing banks of the river... that used to be just a nasty area to look at, but now there's green grass and some landscaping. The GEC is also very nice looking, along with the north end of downtown with Capitol Hill and Bicentennial Park. I think it just says good things for Memphis if you thought it was nicer than Nashville. Knoxville is dirty, and boring downtown... the Old City is where the only decent clubs are outside of The Strip... and here in Birmingham? What a dump! :D

Memphis over the last few years, since the announcement of the FedEx Forum has exploded. They just opened the arena on Oct 1 or 2nd, I beleive, the first basketball game was on Oct 14th. With the grizzlies coming in the downtown development has exploded and has really cleaned up. Peabody Place is awsome and Beale street is a happening place again, not that I am part of a happening crowd with 3 kids, but all the kids seem to like it! If you haven't been to Memphis in the last year or longer, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Originally posted by rwemyss@Nov 1, 2004 2:40 PM
I'll definitely agree with that... but at the same time the Colliseium has brought a major change to the opposing banks of the river... that used to be just a nasty area to look at, but now there's green grass and some landscaping. The GEC is also very nice looking, along with the north end of downtown with Capitol Hill and Bicentennial Park. I think it just says good things for Memphis if you thought it was nicer than Nashville. Knoxville is dirty, and boring downtown... the Old City is where the only decent clubs are outside of The Strip... and here in Birmingham? What a dump! :D

Totally agree. I'm not totally dissing the area, just saying that "the district" is not quite as hopping as it was a few years ago, although it is still very busy on the weekends.

Capitol Hill and the BiCentennial Mall have always been nice.

The addition of the new bridge is very nice as well. I wish they would clean up First Avenue, though.

Originally posted by dbaker@Nov 1, 2004 2:42 PM
Memphis over the last few years, since the announcement of the FedEx Forum has exploded. They just opened the arena on Oct 1 or 2nd, I beleive, the first basketball game was on Oct 14th. With the grizzlies coming in the downtown development has exploded and has really cleaned up. Peabody Place is awsome and Beale street is a happening place again, not that I am part of a happening crowd with 3 kids, but all the kids seem to like it! If you haven't been to Memphis in the last year or longer, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

That forum is gorgeous. Walked by and looked inside the night that Memphis State was having their Midnight Madness.

VN Store

Back