Coming to Memphis

Fadeproof

Resident Dawg Genius
Guys, I will be in Memphis for about a week for business. I am sure there will be some down time so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion about place to take my clients to visit, eat, drink, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Memphis is a pretty rough town. Worse than Atlanta. I wish we could give it to Arkansas or maybe Mississippi but I doubt they would take it.

I'm not native to Memphis, but my in-laws live there. There are several restaurants on Beale Street which is within walking distance of the Peabody Hotel. BB King has a restaurant and there is also Elvis Presley's. There are a few more bbq restaurants down there, but I don't recall the names.

Fadeproof, I lived in Memphis for many years... if you go downtown be very
cautious.... Memphis is a rough place.. my son & a friend were robbed at
gun point near the Pyramid a few years back... you couldn't pay me to move
back to Memphis.... I'm near Atlanta and won't go down there either.. sorry but
I feel Atlanta is right up there with Memphis...
Anyway, I second that "Rendevouz" the ribs are delish!!! Go to BB King's as
well, the music and atmosphere are fantastic....
Have a safe trip.....

Spent 4 years in Memphis. . . .agreed, not my favorite city to live in.

However, it's a fun place to visit. Definitely hit Rendezvous -- best ribs in the world -- more info at www.hogsfly.com. Lots of historical fun on Beale Street -- BB Kings, Blues City Cafe, Elvis Presley's. . . .for drinks and dueling pianos, go to Silky Sullivans (best two-man piano show I've seen; vulgar but hilarious).

They've also done a lot of renovation in the downtown district near the Redbirds stadium and the Peabody. There are plenty of people and plenty of cops, so you'll be safe :)

I'd park nearby, eat at Rendezvous, then head toward Beale. Everything is within walking distance.

If you need any other help (i.e. golf, dining, brothels, etc.) just let me know.

Guys thanks for the great info shows alot of class..keep it coming and any golf info would be great.

Oh, BTW, we used to go out downtown at least a couple of times a month and neither myself nor anyone in school with me had any serious trouble. Now, leaving your car parked at the Medical Campus on the other hand. . . .

Memphis isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be, I have lived here off and on throughout my life. I guess being raised here, I know the places to avoid. As long as you stay along Poplar Ave and never stray much further south than Union you are pretty safe. Downtown is rather tricky with the one way streets, and if you hit the wrong one and take it too far, you get in the bad section of town. Oddly enough the new multi-million dollar arena here is in one of the worst areas.

Lets see, Golf-wise, it depends on type of course. There is Stonebridge where they used to play the PGA tour, but it is pretty costly. As is the new PGA Tour course at Southwind. Then you have just the city courses, which are the ones I usually stick to. Quail Ridge is where I usually play with my girlfriend and her family, but it can be hard to find for those not from Memphis; it is out by where I live here in Bartlett (one of the suburbs of Memphis). You also have overton which i think is just a 9 hole course, but it is right off Poplar near the Zoo in midtown. There are a few others that I would say are between Overton (more the low end) and Quail Ridge (at the higher end of the spectrum for public courses, without having to pay much over 30 for 18 and a cart).

Foodwise..... Again depends on your preferences.

For steak one of my favorites would have to be Buckleys. There is one on Union not far from Beale, then also one on Poplar in East Memphis.

BBQ wise, I really am not that big a fan of Rendezvous anymore, their ribs have not been that great lately. There is of course the famous Corkeys, which is on Poplar ave right between an Outdoors Inc and a McDonalds in East Memphis. Interstate is pretty good, but is down on 3rd street, which if you are going to be downtown, isnt that bad. Germantown Commissary is really good as well, but it is out in germantown, which can be a decent drive from Downtown/Midtown. I also like Pig-n-Whistle, usually eating there as there is one walking distance from my place.

Sushi/Japanese - Mine and the little lady's favorite would be Sekisui. Usually have a Hibatchi early bird special of steak and chicken before 7:00, and add in a few Sushi rolls. Their Tempura Cheesecake is also killer, though it isnt on the menu. Tell them you want it and they will usually make it for you.

Italian - go with any of the Grisanti's.

As for Drinks, you have all of Beale to choose from. Jillian's is rather like a Dave and Busters, which if you dont know what that is, picture an adult arcade. Can grab an alcoholic beverage and play some video games. Their food is pretty good as well. It is part of a Mall, which includes Isaac Hayes's place and the Muvico Movie Theatre. The Flying Sauser is for the beer aficiando, as they have hundreds of beers: imports, home brews, etc to choose from. Then of course there is Alfred's which can be fun, along with Pat O'Briens and BB's. I usually do my drinking away from downtown, so if you are in a different part of town than downtown, there are usually a few places to grab a few like Fox and Hound, Highland Cue, Newby's, RP Trax, TJ Mulligans to name a few. Doh, also forgot Silky's, another great place to grab drinks downtown. if you are lucky, you can even pet the lucky goat.

A cool place to visit is Sun Studio where alot of famous records were cut. There is also the Gibson Guitar Factory, Peabody, and a few other places that are pretty cool to go check out. Graceland is also here of course, if you like Elvis so much you wanna see his house.... If it so inclines you, you can also go to the Civil Rights Museum, i just try avoid it in fear of someone going crazy and wanting to "get payback for white oppression".

As for those badmouthing Memphis, I find it funny you want to "disown" Memphis seeing as how it is about the only part of Tenneessee not thought of by most outsiders as being just a bunch of backwoods, moonshine drinking, inbred hillbillies. Not to say the city image is the best, but i will take it over the other any day. In fact, Respect My Authoratai!!! I grew up here and survived! :gun: :ph34r:

Oh well, Screw you guys, I'm goin home.

Austin, I take offense to your remarks,,, I haven't completely disowned Memphis or forgotten "ALL" my years there..... geesh cut me some slack on my opinion..
my son lives in Bartlett and is a graphic design artist for a very prestigious place or however you spell prestigious.. hahaha ... flat out he was robbed at gunpoint near the Pyramid in a part of Memphis you'd think safe, how do you think that made us feel when that happened? I worked at the old St. Joseph for years and witnessed a mugging in our parking lot, next to Parkway, in broad daylight...
I tried to run over the guy and he dropped a butcher knife .... Memphis isn't the old Memphis and I lived there long enough to know the difference and at one time enjoyed Memphis in its brighter days... My mother in law still lives near Park and Getwell and I have plenty of roots there... I am born and raised proudly in Elizabethton, TEnn. and you don't know what making fun of anyone is until you actually live in a small town like that... Memphis is huge in comparison to my hometown... And I'm outside of Atlanta and we don't go down town here either..

COPS...........Memphis

I've been there many times and haven't encountered anything like that, crazy stuff. ANY city has bad parts and most downtowns are bad, try Miami on for size. I'm sure you will have a good, safe time.

If we don't here from you again, i'm not going back! :D

Memphis has spent a considerable amount of time and money the past several years to try and clean up the downtown area. I think they've done a remarkable job. When I visit my in-laws, which is about 4 times per year, we always go visit downtown. My 4-year old loves riding the trolley cars. I've never felt unsafe... however, just like any large city, there is crime.

btw - My college roommate is from Elizabethton and I also went to school up the road in Bristol. There is plenty of crime up that part of the woods too.... its just more rural crime instead of urban crime.

Actually that was more directed at the person who said they wanted to give Memphis away to Arkansas or Mississippi, but they probably wouldnt want Memphis either. There were actually news stories here back maybe 5 or 6 months ago about how the entire rest of the state sees Memphis as the black sheep and dont "really" consider it a part of the state, which i take offence to. Dont get me wrong, I think Memphis is slowly getting worse and worse, though it has picked up alot of speed the past few years due to horrible city leadership. The really sad part is the voting majority sees no problems with voting for a candidate strictly due to cosmetics. Trust me I could go on a huge rant about how much the city sucks. Beale Street on the weekend can be downright scary at night, with large crowds of "young adults" just standing there in the street, which can be unnerving when trying to get around down there. Memphis also isnt as bad as it is made to seem. Cops usually shows Raleigh, South Memphis, and parts of Downtown, with Downtown being the only part you should ever really see if you visit. In the past few years they have cleaned up alot of downtown, in the touristy areas along the trolley line

When downtown, just remember the rule of never going further north than Poplar, and never further south than Union, without another person and without checking your surroundings. There are plenty of cars parked along the side of the road to look in the windshield of to see if you are being followed. That is really only for extreme situations, and more than likely the worst you should have to deal with is the panhandlers wanting to sell you a Memphis Flyer for 5 dollars (dont, they are free) or some guy trying to scam you saying someone is sick and they need money to get a cab to get to the hospital. I have actually never been mugged and have lived here for about 20 years, but then I have been 6'4" and around 220-240 since High School, so it may be the "never screw with the big guy" syndrome, as criminals are usually cowards.

FYI, The Pyramid would be North of Poplar, thus in my "not safe" zone. Ironically, the new FedEx Forum is south of Union, also being far from safe at night(even worse so in the past), but I think they are trying to clean the area up and inundate it with cops when there are events. It sucks your son got mugged. That is why I go with other people and stick near groups of people when downtown, especially after events where crooks figure you probably had to have money to get into, both in pocket, and bank account-wise. IMO Atlanta is worse, though I never got to stay there very long, usually just in for a Braves game or to visit Emory U.

Dont think I am anti-"the rest of Tennessee", I lived in Knoxville for 5 years, and still miss it. I also grew up spending many vacations with family in Kingsport and Church Hill. I still remember the fun of Warrior's Path. I just find it ironic to bash Memphis and wish it wasnt part of the state. I also spent about a year in Texas and a little over that in Washington State, with short stints in France and England. When I would tell people I was from Tennessee they would look at me funny and usually their following comments had some sort of crack that included hillbillies/rednecks, inbreeding, or backhills living with no technology. When I would tell them I was from Memphis they would usually make a comment about Elvis or other less insulting topics.

For the person who wanted the information, give me an idea of where you are staying and what kind of things you/your clients might like: foodwise, alcohol selection, etc. Otherwise the best advice I know to give, and this really goes for any city, is always be aware of your surroundings and don't go down streets with no other people around. Use the parking garage on Union, right near Front street if you plan on parking to walk around downtown. Union is busy with lots of people as is that garage. Muggers and other criminals usually stick to places where they can have you alone, less witnesses that way.

I know this is a "help the guy headed to Memphis" thread, but just to put my :twocents: in about "the rest of the state"... when I was in Great Britian, whenever I said I was from Nashville, they'd only talk about how much they loved country music (bizarre, I know) far from the hill-billy jokes you say are given about "the rest of the state".

Rendezvous is only good if you like dry rub style. Blues City has got great ribs and the flying saucer is the place for beer. Check out Silky 'O Sullivans for a good piano bar (great if you've never been, boring if you've been there before)

Ditto on what eveyone else has said. Memphis is pretty ghetto, but downtown can be pretty nice. Rendevous is definitely a place to hit if you like ribs. They ahve the best dry rub anywhere.

Wow, such a simple thread has become so heated! :machinegun: :machinegun:

Look, all the boys I was in school with would agree -- it's the ***hole of the state and we'd give it to Arkansas if they asked nice. There's fun to be had, just don't move there.

Don't miss Rendezvous. Flying Saucer is the King of Beer -- watch out for the "Maredsous". As for golf, Southwind is private, Quail Ridge is all right (for a neighborhood course), Stonebridge is nice, Overton is a cow pasture. There's some great courses just north and south of town. Check out Kirkwood, North Creek, and Big Creek in the nearby vicinity.

Oh, and OrangeTD, you're killing me with that signature. Please tell me that's not your daughter!

:blink:

Pleny of good places to eat. I usually have to get at least one soul burger from Ernastien and Hazel's per trip. I've never had any problem with crime there, but typically use pretty good sense. I can't believe that no one has suggested Raifert's. On God's green earth, you will never find another place quite like this one. The best way that I can think to describe it is that it is the only place a white kid that grew up in the suburbs will ever have a chance to get down in a 1970s inner city disco and not feel one bit out of place. Believe me, you have to try it. By the way, they only sell beer by the quart.

I hear that Platinum is pretty OK too.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Oct 28, 2004 10:50 PM
Oh, and OrangeTD, you're killing me with that signature. Please tell me that's not your daughter!

:blink:

No, not quite old enough to have a daughter that old. LOL

I WISH she was my girl, however... B)

Ah yes, the "SoulBurger" at Ernestein and Hazel's is tempting (ask for extra grease), and the venue is actually an old brothel (there's plenty of dark hideaways upstairs). Raifert's, agreed, is one of a kind. But I don't think anybody doesn't feel out of place beneath the 6-and-a-half foot ceilings, fog of smoke, and booming disco music while drinking a quart, yes quart, of beer. That's what makes it such a supernatural experience.

I've lived in the Memphis area my whole life, and I'll tell you that if you stay downtown or in the suburbs, you're safe. Memphis has some nice suburbs, Bartlett, Germantown, Cordova, and Collierville. And although I think Willie Herenton is a totally incompetent and backwards mayor, he has done a lot to clean up downtown. As far as I'm concerned, West Tennessee is the best part of the state, rednecks and all. :rocks:

Austin, you live in Bartlett? I live in Bartlett about one mile or so from Quail Ridge golf course. :good:

By the way, if you're ever in Memphis, try A&R BBQ and Topps BBQ, along with Corky's. For shopping go out to Wolfchase, at Bartlett.

VN Store

Back