Coming after Vitello

As a former player, playing in Lindsey Nelson meant a lot to players, including myself. I loved being able to walk to and from to the dorm. Just being "our" stadium had a special feel to it.

If playing in a stadium downtown for a year provides the opportunity to renovate LNS, that's a different story. I just don't like the idea of sharing a stadium.

and that's a selling point to recruits, you can walk to practice, weight room, to see Woody, Thorton, Smokey's, class, etc......... it's all right there.

I have a gut feeling Danny boy isn't going to commit to what CTV needs to take this program to the next level.......
When AD’s say things like “if we get a large donation for the baseball program then it would be helpful but other programs also need some improvements” that’s not a good sign

Reactions: Titan05
Maybe, but maybe not. They’re are Definite advantages of having all your facilities on campus. We need to also remember, we need a state of the art track facility on campus. Both sports have improved in the last couple of years with out decent facilities. If they were to take advantage of the new stadium in downtown Knoxville, that may open up the opportunity to build the indoor track facility.

I had that exact thought this week
An indoor facility would felt in really well in that corner and could actually become part of overall training in all sports.

I don't think anyone will want to go to that downtown neighborhood area to see a game. It's worth the extra drive to Kodak to go to a good, clean area, plenty of stadium parking, restaurants nearby, etc. It's a beautiful park in a great neighborhood which means a lot. Putting a field back in the area where Bill Meyer was is like putting lipstick on a pig to dress it up. No thanks.

Reactions: onevol74
I don't think anyone will want to go to that downtown neighborhood area to see a game. It's worth the extra drive to Kodak to go to a good, clean area, plenty of stadium parking, restaurants nearby, etc. It's a beautiful park in a great neighborhood which means a lot. Putting a field back in the area where Bill Meyer was is like putting lipstick on a pig to dress it up. No thanks.

The site will be great and not really all that close to the old Bill Meyer site. the site is close to other businesses and properties that the Boyd family own in the Old City plus some great breweries within walking distance. This would be a great site because there's stuff to do before and after the game. The Kodak property is not that interesting at all. The Kodak site has all the boring non-charm of West Knoxville suburban sprawl. What is odd for urban sites like this is that there will still be good parking nearby.

The site will be great and not really all that close to the old Bill Meyer site. the site is close to other businesses and properties that the Boyd family own in the Old City plus some great breweries within walking distance. This would be a great site because there's stuff to do before and after the game. The Kodak property is not that interesting at all. The Kodak site has all the boring non-charm of West Knoxville suburban sprawl. What is odd for urban sites like this is that there will still be good parking nearby.

Plus a new park would attract restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. Possibly could be built into part of the park. With the growth of Knoxville and the downtown expansion, you could see some residential buildings come into play too. Live/work/play is the strategy for new developments in emerging cities and towns.

Reactions: PeachCobler
Plus a new park would attract restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. Possibly could be built into part of the park. With the growth of Knoxville and the downtown expansion, you could see some residential buildings come into play too. Live/work/play is the strategy for new developments in emerging cities and towns.

The area around the old Bill Meyer (Edgewood/Parkridge) is ironically the next area of gentrification. The values in 4th & Gill are simply unrealistic right now.
You can tell because the old locals are not happy about it.
For some reason, the redevelopment on Central Ave/ Happy Holler has slowed down. I think the developers/speculators bought up all the property and did not allow the process to move along "organically".

Until Austin-East community gets their acts together; I don't see development moving any further east than Parkridge.

Long story short; summer nights at the new ball park are going to be great. They are supposedly leaving it open during the day for walking and gathering and such

D1 Baseball’s write up on CTV on the A&M job:

Tony Vitello, Tennessee
He’s one of the hottest coaches in college baseball for a good reason. The 42-year-old Missouri native won 29 games in his first season with the Volunteers but made a quick transition with a 40-win season and NCAA Regional berth in his second campaign. Tennessee was off to a 15-2 start before the 2020 season was shuttered, while they’ve had a terrific 2021 campaign that will end with a top-eight national seed. Vitello played at Missouri and learned under coach Tim Jamieson before learning as an assistant coach under TCU’s Jim Schlossnagle and Arkansas’ Dave Van Horn. Vitello has a hard-nosed personality and is considered a premier recruiter. He also has a premier coaching staff with pitching coach Frank Anderson and TCU alum Josh Elander as his full-time assistants. Vitello has plenty of ties to the State of Texas and would certainly make a lot of sense for the Aggies. Where does he fit against the likes of Tadlock and Schlossnagle? We’ll soon find out.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I’m going to take a guess that A&M thinks a lot more highly of themselves these days than the rest of the college athletics world. All 3 of their top targets (Tadlock, Shlossnaggle, Vitello) are all already in great situations. Maybe I’ll eat my words and regret saying it if Vitello bails, but college sports are in a different situation than they used to be. You can win anywhere and get paid big money anywhere. The grass is not always greener.

I have a feeling A&M might regret firing a guy that had just one bad season after 13 straight tournament appearances.

Might not be correct but I read on another site a few minutes ago CTV has Jimmy Sexton as his agent? Also said Sexton hasn't been his agent very long?

Tadlock and Schlossnagle will be 1A and 1B for A&M. Vitello will be 3rd on their list.
Honest question; why would Tadlock even remotely consider it and why is AM arrogant enough to think he would consider it? He’s at his Alma mater, he has damn near as many CWS appearances in 7 years as AM has in their history, he makes $700K with a max bonus potential of another $215K and his road is easier while still being challenging enough that he’s in the running for a national seed every year and guaranteed a tournament bid with 35 wins.

I’m going to take a guess that A&M thinks a lot more highly of themselves these days than the rest of the college athletics world. All 3 of their top targets (Tadlock, Shlossnaggle, Vitello) are all already in great situations. Maybe I’ll eat my words and regret saying it if Vitello bails, but college sports are in a different situation than they used to be. You can win anywhere and get paid big money anywhere. The grass is not always greener.

I have a feeling A&M might regret firing a guy that had just one bad season after 13 straight tournament appearances.

Agreed.

If Vitello leaves a position at a high momentum program to join a program that is out of gas, in an incredibly saturated area in America for recruiting [so many good programs in Texas/Louisiana] without a massive raise in pay, then I might just accept for good that God doesn't want Tennessee athletics to have anything nice. 'is UTK build on an old Native American burial site' and so on.

How often do SEC head coaches get poached by other SEC schools, anyway?

Honest question; why would Tadlock even remotely consider it and why is AM arrogant enough to think he would consider it? He’s at his Alma mater, he has damn near as many CWS appearances in 7 years as AM has in their history, he makes $700K with a max bonus potential of another $215K and his road is easier while still being challenging enough that he’s in the running for a national seed every year and guaranteed a tournament bid with 35 wins.

Something something better facilities something something.

But, in all seriousness, TAMU has an ego problem. They fashion themselves the premier program in Texas with a fraction of the success of TTU or even Texas at this point.

1. Recruiting. It’s much easier to recruit when you can drive to Austin, DFW, Houston, San Antonio instead of fly everywhere. 2. In the SEC. Best baseball conference. 3. $$. A&M has more $$ than TCU or tceh.

Reactions: Titan05
1. Recruiting. It’s much easier to recruit when you can drive to Austin, DFW, Houston, San Antonio instead of fly everywhere. 2. In the SEC. Best baseball conference. 3. $$. A&M has more $$ than TCU or tceh.
TCU is currently paying Schloss $1.5M, thats double Childress. You’re going to have to give him a 50% raise to make it worth his while. Is AM going to make a guy the 1st-2nd highest paid coach in the country who’s yet to reach an NCAA final let alone win a title, in a sport that loses money as it is? If so, then more power to you. Nobody will accuse y’all of being intelligent. Also, at some point more $ becomes obsolete when you’re already wealthy, what can’t he buy/do today with $1.5M that he suddenly can with $2M?

What’s the SEC have to do with anything? Why does Tadlock or Schloss want to risk the road Childress went down and get fired for not winning enough in a league that’s brutally hard to win in? They have 4-5 good to great baseball programs in the Big 12 today, so it’s a challenge most weekends and not like you’re beating up on Texas San Angelo State University every time out but it’s not so brutal that you’re on the bubble every other year just because the league is so deep.

What do you mean drive everywhere instead of fly? Is Lubbock further from those cities than CS? Yes. But Dallas, San Antonio and Austin are all less than 6 hrs from Lubbock; do you fly anywhere/everywhere for a drive over 5 hrs? I’d say most don’t. Closeness to home is a factor for kids but how many Dallas kids is he missing out on to AM because it’s 5.5 hrs from home compared to 3hrs to CS?

Last edited:
Reactions: StarRaider
Also, as a side note, Schloss beat AM 2x in route to 2 of his 5 Omaha appearances. I’m not saying he won’t take it, but there’s literally nothing AM can offer him to further his career or up his chances of winning a NC.

From the 2014 class - 2021 class, AM has had higher ranked recruiting classes than both TCU AND TTU two times, in that same time span TCU AND TTU have both had higher ranked recruiting classes 3x. In that same time span one of the two had a higher ranked recruiting class than AM 6x. Tell me again how recruiting to AM is infinitely easier and top talent would prefer to play in College Station.

VN Store

Back