Coming after Vitello

giphy.gif

Present Tony with a contract extension with a number that he'll sign for before they even get on the plane for Nebraska. I'm thinking $1.3 million a year--make him the highest paid coach in the country and put all other schools on notice that we mean business. I don't care if we gets swept out of Omaha, he's earned it in the amount of time it has taken him to completely revitalize the program.
Uh 1.3 million is not even close to the highest paid in the country.
Corbin

You do not own a business do you?
NEVER play all your cards up front.
That goes both ways. I worked for a business that was holding cards and they did not realize I had a couple of aces. I left them holding their hand cold. It was obvious they were not going to pay me what I was worth.

Reactions: Godfatha
That goes both ways. I worked for a business that was holding cards and they did not realize I had a couple of aces. I left them holding their hand cold. It was obvious they were not going to pay me what I was worth.

Or were they offering exactly what THEY thought you are worth?
Hum…congrats on the negotiation win.

Does anyone with a subscription know if Vitello is mentioned at all here?

Nope…….

• LSU is closing in on its new head baseball coach, and the two names that keep coming up with my sources — Ole Miss head coach Mike Bianco and East Carolina head coach Cliff Godwin. Both would make total sense, and both have extensive history with the LSU program. To recap the past week, LSU had in-depth discussions with former Oregon State head coach Pat Casey, and he was the leading candidate. I’m certain of that. He also was in Baton Rouge the Thursday before NCAA Regionals began. Casey and LSU mutually ended things, with Casey staying put in Corvallis for family reasons. There also was plenty of outcry from LSU fans about the mere mention of Casey as a strong candidate. As for other candidates, multiple sources tell D1Baseball that as of today, Louisville coach Dan McDonnell is not a serious candidate for the job. Could that change? Sure, but as of today, that’s not the case. LSU, as with any big-time program, covets someone like Vanderbilt’s Tim Corbin, but he’s considered highly unlikely to leave the dynasty behind in Nashville. That leaves us with two very familiar candidates in Bianco and Godwin. I wouldn’t expect this search to go on much longer. I would be surprised at this point if it isn’t Bianco. If it’s not him, all eyes go to Godwin.

Congrats!
(I promise you I could have gotten you more $$.)

No offense, but I negotiated plenty of big deals with a good number of 0s in my career…I’m good.

With respect to CTV, UT has no (nada, zero, zip) leverage. There is no real tradition to speak of, no recent success (other than CTV), antiquated facilities, no other coaches beating the door down. The only thing they can do is outpay the competition and promise massive facility upgrades. Once again, the UT AD is being reactive and playing from behind (I’d just love to see a smart AD out in front of an issue like this for once). I’d be interested to hear if you and any others have any other ideas, but I see CTV holding ALL of the cards in this deal.

No offense, but I negotiated plenty of big deals with a good number of 0s in my career…I’m good.

With respect to CTV, UT has no (nada, zero, zip) leverage. There is no real tradition to speak of, no recent success (other than CTV), antiquated facilities, no other coaches beating the door down. The only thing they can do is outpay the competition and promise massive facility upgrades. Once again, the UT AD is being reactive and playing from behind (I’d just love to see a smart AD out in front of an issue like this for once). I’d be interested to hear if you and any others have any other ideas, but I see CTV holding ALL of the cards in this deal.

You are dead on with your observation.

I would start by put $1,000,000 guaranteed, $50,000 for SEC East title, $50,000 for SEC Tourney win, $50,000 for Regional win, $100,000 for SR win/Omaha appearance, $200,000 for CWS Championship.
Let’s see how confident CTV is in his own system and how much he wants to be here.

Last edited:

How do you know he is being reactive? What evidence do you have?

Reactions: onevol74
Thank god Fulmer is no longer AD

You are onto the real problem IMO. When Fulmer gave CTV the extension a few years ago, it was a good start. BUT, that is when the AD should have seen the promise of CTV and made the commitment to baseball with facility upgrades, more assistant money, etc. Fulmer just wasn’t an AD, pure and simple. No business sense whatsoever.

You are onto the real problem IMO. When Fulmer gave CTV the extension a few years ago, it was a good start. BUT, that is when the AD should have seen the promise of CTV and made the commitment to baseball with facility upgrades, more assistant money, etc. Fulmer just wasn’t an AD, pure and simple. No business sense whatsoever.

I begged the Administration not to hire a none businessman as our AD.
(I amended my last post, see what you think)

Reactions: EZE

I think it’s a good offer. And I think we have an offer out to him.

I find it interesting that he hasn’t countered. He may very well leave IMO.

Reactions: Y9 Vol

Fulmer may have been okay as a pure figurehead. But they at least needed a real assistant AD.

But, pure glad handing doesn’t take care of the business end.

VN Store

Back