Comic Books

There is a rumor that ATT plans to close the DC publishing division in the summer. At least the monthly books division. Not sure if they will keep back catalogue in print for bookstores or not.

It would be funny if ATT messed around and let the rights to Watchmen revert back to Alan Moore after all these years.

A few years ago I had a thread in the Music and Movies forum for discussing graphic novels and such. I was pretty much talking to myself so gave up on it a while back 😂😂

I don’t have a ton of time for newer stuff. A lot of what I’m reading these days is older stuff with my kids. In the spring we read the Bone series by Jeff Smith. Over the summer we started Fantastic Four from #1. We are in the 30s and they absolutely love it. Now when we look at other comics they immediately ask “is this Jack Kirby?”. If the answer is no they are a little disappointed. Although we did start mixing it up with some Ditko Spider-Man recently. Aside from that I will get them the True Believer dollar comic reprints Marvel puts out.

I did get the recent Jack Kirby bio graphic novel by Tom Scioli. We are almost done with it and it is excellent. My kids are really obsessed with Kirby.

Not reading to my kids I was keeping up with the Hickman X-Men stuff but got way behind since the pandemic. It was really good and so different than any X-Men before it. I actually got me pumped up and for some X-Men and read (reread mostly) from Giant Size 1 through the Byrne era.

More recently I have read The Three Jokers 1 and 2 but haven’t gotten to 3.
I've got a bunch of boxes of my older comics from the 60s. Hoping my grandkids will enjoy them, too.

One comic I try to remember involved a soldier who comes across some ancient coins. He takes one that gives him super strength. Just can't remember the name of that one. Google was no help. Think the theme was fighting nazis. Kinda remember they got some of the coins and gained evil powers.

I've got a bunch of boxes of my older comics from the 60s. Hoping my grandkids will enjoy them, too.

One comic I try to remember involved a soldier who comes across some ancient coins. He takes one that gives him super strength. Just can't remember the name of that one. Google was no help. Think the theme was fighting nazis. Kinda remember they got some of the coins and gained evil powers.

Doesn’t ring a bell. Do you know the company they came from?

I've always had ( even now ) about 5 random comics, up in my closet or somewhere.

It wouldn't be "Captain Action" would it?

Clive Arno was a widowed archaeologist and museum curator, and was described as having located "the Coins of Power" in a buried city. These Coins of Power grant Arno the abilities of several Greek, Roman, and Norse gods, and he uses these powers to fight evil as "Captain Action." His son, Carl, became his sidekick "Action Boy" (later "Kid Action") and his deceased wife's father, gone mad in a mishap, became his archenemy, Dr. Evil.

Reactions: BenGrimm

Clive Arno was a widowed archaeologist and museum curator, and was described as having located "the Coins of Power" in a buried city. These Coins of Power grant Arno the abilities of several Greek, Roman, and Norse gods, and he uses these powers to fight evil as "Captain Action." His son, Carl, became his sidekick "Action Boy" (later "Kid Action") and his deceased wife's father, gone mad in a mishap, became his archenemy, Dr. Evil.
1608309745946.jpeg
1608309546920.jpeg

He also had accessories for other superhero costumes like Batman, Superman, and Spider-man.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Yeah, I guess he started out as a "action-figure" and then got a 5 issue comic book deal. Then was never heard from for 30 years until the comic was revived.

The toys came back too but I think they were more for collectors than kids. My local comic shop had a few of the accessory sets for Thor and Wolverine. Pretty cool if you are into toy collecting.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack

That's it! After all these years I finally get the answer. Thank you!!

Started reading Immortal Hulk. Been hearing a lot of great things about it so gave it a shot. I’m only about 8 issues in and it’s the most I have enjoyed a Hulk book since Peter David was the writer in the 80S-90s.

It’s more of a horror vibe. Bruce Banner has learned HE can die but the Hulk will always bring him back. Now it’s diving into some older plot lines with his abusive father.

Also features some fantastic Alex Ross covers.

I had to sell my Mom's house on December 8th. While I was going through stuff, I found all my old giant size comics, like Superman vs. Muhammad Ali, with Neal Adams art, beautiful. Also, Superman and Captain Marvel (Shazam), Superman and Spiderman, Batman and Hulk, among others. I'll take pics when I get 'em out of my storage locker at the end of the month. The SM vs. Ali is my favorite and I love Adams' art. Btw, Superman boxes Ali under a red sun and Ali busts his a$$, but it's a plan to beat the aliens. Not the world's greatest story, but still very enjoyable story for an under 10 year old Dog and I still love it.

I had to sell my Mom's house on December 8th. While I was going through stuff, I found all my old giant size comics, like Superman vs. Muhammad Ali, with Neal Adams art, beautiful. Also, Superman and Captain Marvel (Shazam), Superman and Spiderman, Batman and Hulk, among others. I'll take pics when I get 'em out of my storage locker at the end of the month. The SM vs. Ali is my favorite and I love Adams' art. Btw, Superman boxes Ali under a red sun and Ali busts his a$$, but it's a plan to beat the aliens. Not the world's greatest story, but still very enjoyable story for an under 10 year old Dog and I still love it.
I had the superman vs. ali when I was young. Great finds!

Reactions: The Dog

Great finds! Definitely post some pics. I had a Hulk Treasury Edition as a kid. It was vintage then but when I saw a Giant comic book at the comic shop I had to have it.

Reactions: The Dog
I remember Lady Death. I had a girlfriend (I know! A girl!) who was a big fan of that series. She also loved Fangoria, so there's that lol.

Reactions: vols72

VN Store

Back