Come Hither!

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Last edited:
Now that they will all be getting paid, competing for Championships can be a priority too.

It’s all about how they use their free time to improve their football skills, that will never change.

Now that they will all be getting paid, competing for Championships can be a priority too.

It’s all about how they use their free time to improve their football skills, that will never change.

I understand the "paid" aspects of the "amateur" college game as it now is allowed. However, they might use some of their free time studying college school classes as there are still some responsibilities in this reguard to stay in school (I think). What say some of you nationers who understand better than I and others, do these paid "employees" still fall into the "student of a school of higher learning" or are they just another part-time employee?

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I understand the "paid" aspects of the "amateur" college game as it now is allowed. However, they might use some of their free time studying college school classes as there are still some responsibilities in this reguard to stay in school (I think). What say some of you nationers who understand better than I and others, do these paid "employees" still fall into the "student of a school of higher learning" or are they just another part-time employee?

They're both, just as exploitative college program administrators have been part-time bosses and as national as anybody else. Turnabout is fair play, except when it happens for the other guy, eh? Just the same, unless a player is incurably stupid, they will hit the books and classroom because they are only an injury away from becoming ex-players without a source of income. If any (and I guarantee there will be some [Tiyon Evans comes to mind] and they'd deserve the consequences. Ignorance is one thing and quite forgivable, arrogance on the other hand, well, like ole Ben Franklin said: "If You Fail to Plan, You Are Planning to Fail." Further questions?

Reactions: savannahfan
Maintaining their academic eligibility is part of their job. Free time begins when all required work is completed.

Let’s see, 15 hours in class, basically another 15 outside of class to prepare for class. What is it 20 hours of structured football activities? We can pretend they’re getting 8 hours sleep each night. Time back and forth to required activities. They will need to eat. With limited free time they need to make the most of the 20-25 hours a week.

168 hours go quick when you are working on being great.

It may seem pedantic, but in these matters, it is very important to keep the terms straight.

Every student athlete who ever worked a part-time job while in school was an employee. But not of the University of Tennessee. If they washed cars for the Ford place, they were employed by Ford. Now, with NIL, they can be paid for their fame. Before, they couldn't. Now they can. So now maybe their employer is Spyre, and they're being paid to autograph stuff, to attend social gatherings with fans, and so on. But it's really no different from when they used to wash cars for the car dealer, just now they can be paid explicitly for the fame that goes with being who they are (college football players).

Out of all of that, the important thing to keep in mind in answering your question is: they are NOT employees of the University of Tennessee. As far as UT is concerned, they are students...student athletes. They do not have a "job." They have responsibilities that go with (a) being a student at the University, and (b) being an athlete in one of the sports programs, and maybe also (c) being the recipient of a scholarship. So lots of rules and responsibilities as student-athletes, but no job.

So there you go. They are employees in one part of their lives, and student-athletes in another part. They have to do all those things the right way. Just as student-athletes with part-time jobs have been doing since time immemorial.

Man people don't seem to grasp,and this isn't everyone.They don't seem to get what an embassador he has already become for UT.Kids gravitate to Nico and his family.I mean his football skills are 0 to none honestly but the personality and swagger is 50% of it.If we got Arch instead of Nico u think there be that type of excitment.Yea it's manning but this kids just different.Hell I wanna suit up n go catch a pass.

Reactions: Steelcurtain
Man people don't seem to grasp,and this isn't everyone.They don't seem to get what an embassador he has already become for UT.Kids gravitate to Nico and his family.I mean his football skills are 0 to none honestly but the personality and swagger is 50% of it.If we got Arch instead of Nico u think there be that type of excitment.Yea it's manning but this kids just different.Hell I wanna suit up n go catch a pass.
Wait.

Nico Iamaleava is one of the top five high school quarterbacks in the nation in his class. And you say his football skills are "0 to none"?

I don't get it. Did you mean to say something different? "Second to none," maybe?

Wait.

Nico Iamaleava is one of the top five high school quarterbacks in the nation in his class. And you say his football skills are "0 to none"?

I don't get it. Did you mean to say something different? "Second to none," maybe?

Yea prob lol I was riding when I wrote that n thought wait how does that go?I mean I think it's right 🤷‍♂️..got me before I got back to edit.Oh well

And they do the biggest lie out there is the perception most players don’t care about going to class. The great majority do go to class. People just making to much of the money deal, if anything this gives most young players more incentive to get a degree and save some money. Because news flash folks, most power 5 players do not make it o the pro’s, and a percentage that do a great many of them will be in the league 5 years or less. So going to school and getting a degree to have a field to fall back on once the playing days are over is a route most will take. Money is great, but some on here take things way out of context. For the 1 that doesn’t need his education and will be set for life with a nfl contract there are at least 9 that will find that degree useful in life. GBO!

And they do the biggest lie out there is the perception most players don’t care about going to class. The great majority do go to class. People just making to much of the money deal, if anything this gives most young players more incentive to get a degree and save some money. Because news flash folks, most power 5 players do not make it o the pro’s, and a percentage that do a great many of them will be in the league 5 years or less. So going to school and getting a degree to have a field to fall back on once the playing days are over is a route most will take. Money is great, but some on here take things way out of context. For the 1 that doesn’t need his education and will be set for life with a nfl contract there are at least 9 that will find that degree useful in life. GBO!

Gotta watch it on here man the spelling monitors will get ya 😂

You ain't lying look I'm flipping horrendous sometimes with grammar etc.I just like to think I'm everyone's fav uncle.The Guy can recite the 85 bears roster n alphabetically order but ask him to write directions to Aunt Bees house and your in trouble.Ive met some intelligent folks that were illiterate as crap,ones disylsic but a math guru lol idk weird world.

Reactions: SonOfGodVolforlife
You ain't lying look I'm flipping horrendous sometimes with grammar etc.I just like to think I'm everyone's fav uncle.The Guy can recite the 85 bears roster n alphabetically order but ask him to write directions to Aunt Bees house and your in trouble.Ive met some intelligent folks that were illiterate as crap,ones disylsic but a math guru lol idk weird world.
If you judged a fish on how it climbed a tree you wouldn’t think much would ya? But put it in water and watch it go!
Everybody’s got their certain callings bro… I just so happen to be with you on can recite the whole 85 bears kinda guy 😂

They're both, just as exploitative college program administrators have been part-time bosses and as national as anybody else. Turnabout is fair play, except when it happens for the other guy, eh? Just the same, unless a player is incurably stupid, they will hit the books and classroom because they are only an injury away from becoming ex-players without a source of income. If any (and I guarantee there will be some [Tiyon Evans comes to mind] and they'd deserve the consequences. Ignorance is one thing and quite forgivable, arrogance on the other hand, well, like ole Ben Franklin said: "If You Fail to Plan, You Are Planning to Fail." Further questions?

This says a whole lot about the situation.

Maintaining their academic eligibility is part of their job. Free time begins when all required work is completed.

Let’s see, 15 hours in class, basically another 15 outside of class to prepare for class. What is it 20 hours of structured football activities? We can pretend they’re getting 8 hours sleep each night. Time back and forth to required activities. They will need to eat. With limited free time they need to make the most of the 20-25 hours a week.

168 hours go quick when you are working on being great.

This assumes they will do these two things....

It may seem pedantic, but in these matters, it is very important to keep the terms straight.

Every student athlete who ever worked a part-time job while in school was an employee. But not of the University of Tennessee. If they washed cars for the Ford place, they were employed by Ford. Now, with NIL, they can be paid for their fame. Before, they couldn't. Now they can. So now maybe their employer is Spyre, and they're being paid to autograph stuff, to attend social gatherings with fans, and so on. But it's really no different from when they used to wash cars for the car dealer, just now they can be paid explicitly for the fame that goes with being who they are (college football players).

Out of all of that, the important thing to keep in mind in answering your question is: they are NOT employees of the University of Tennessee. As far as UT is concerned, they are students...student athletes. They do not have a "job." They have responsibilities that go with (a) being a student at the University, and (b) being an athlete in one of the sports programs, and maybe also (c) being the recipient of a scholarship. So lots of rules and responsibilities as student-athletes, but no job.

So there you go. They are employees in one part of their lives, and student-athletes in another part. They have to do all those things the right way. Just as student-athletes with part-time jobs have been doing since time immemorial.

I understand what you are saying. So if the school dumps a football player for what ever reason, academics, unsatisfactory play, discipline, whatever, could they now be sued by who the hell ever the player works for? See where I am going with this? To me your example is a valid response to my question. But to me it is more like comparing apples and oranges. No car wash, restaurant or such business it going to give a sh-- if an employee is dropped out of a school. That is unless the have invested money and time in said employee's education. The they might take exception to the person being dropped from school.

I understand your position. However most "players", the really really good ones, are there to step up to the pros. Why I say this is the environment that they have come from. That is to say, they have not had to "overwork" in high school (if they are really good) and they don't understand that they will ever need to do anything but play......

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
This assumes they will do these two things....
Huge assumption that players will maintain their eligibility to play. It’s my understanding that NIL can’t be “pay for play”. I haven’t seen any NIL contracts, so I wonder if there is a stipulation in the contract that a player must remain eligible to play to keep the contract in force.

I also wonder how transferring from one program to another impacts the NIL deal.

I understand what you are saying. So if the school dumps a football player for what ever reason, academics, unsatisfactory play, discipline, whatever, could they now be sued by who the hell ever the player works for? See where I am going with this? To me your example is a valid response to my question. But to me it is more like comparing apples and oranges. No car wash, restaurant or such business it going to give a sh-- if an employee is dropped out of a school. That is unless the have invested money and time in said employee's education. The they might take exception to the person being dropped from school.
Say the lad leaves school and moves back home. Or to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Or anywhere else, for whatever reason.

If he's working for the local Ford dealership washing cars, he has to quit that job, right? There's surely something in the employment contract he signed that allows him or his boss to terminate the relationship under those circumstances. So he quits the job, gets his last pay check, and heads for wherever.

Now if he's working for Spyre, exactly the same thing. He has to give up that job. There's undoubtedly something in the contract to cover him no longer being in Knoxville or in school. So he lets his boss know he's leaving, they give him his last paycheck, and he's out. Same-same.

I really think it's not much different at all, in how it works. I mean, the amount of $$ is hugely different. But the employment considerations are pretty much the same. You gotta be in Knoxville to do the job. If you move away, you're quitting the job by necessity. And the employment contract will anticipate that possibility and describe what happens.

The only real difference is that the Spyre contract undoubtedly says that the employee has to be enrolled and in good academic standing at a major university, and that the employee further has to be an active member of that university's football program. After all, they're paying him for his football player fame.

Other than that, the comparison to working for the Ford dealer remains a good one, I think. You agree?

I understand your position. However most "players", the really really good ones, are there to step up to the pros. Why I say this is the environment that they have come from. That is to say, they have not had to "overwork" in high school (if they are really good) and they don't understand that they will ever need to do anything but play......
That doesn’t mean that some of the truly good ones don’t care about their degree. Even superstars have came back to get their degree. There are some great players that still actually care about both. Yes there will always be some that want instant cash and only care about getting to the league. But the majority of college players actually do go to class and try to pursue a degree. The player has great academic resources to help them at UT. A great majority take advantage of it still. GBO!

VN Store

Back