College Players Staying 2 Years?

Tell me if I miss a few of the guys that have had success out of high school...

Moses Malone
Darryl Dawkins
Shawn Kemp
KG
Kobe
Jermaine O'Neal
T-Mac
Lebron
Amare Stoudemire
Dwight Howard
Rashard Lewis

Limited success

Eddy Curry
Tyson Chandler
Al Harrington

little success

Darius Miles
Al Harrington
Jonathan Bender
Kwame Brown

Then you have

Sebastian Telfair, Leon Smith and many other busts.

I don't think it's any different than a business saying - you need X years of experience to be qualified.

I don't think it's any different than a business saying - you need X years of experience to be qualified.

I totally agree with you.

Nobody is keeping them from earning a living.

There are prerequisites to any high profile job.

It is when the two best players in the league came straight from HS.

Problem is that the business has set a precedent in the past and the success of several of those none and done guys proves that the prereq. argument is untrue.

It is pure age discrimination because it stipulates nothing but the number of years one need be removed from HS graduation.

It is when the two best players in the league came straight from HS.

Problem is that the business has set a precedent in the past and the success of several of those none and done guys proves that the prereq. argument is untrue.

It is pure age discrimination because it stipulates nothing but the number of years one need be removed from HS graduation.

What about all the busts?

What about all the busts?
they made far more money than they ever should have made and the GMs made the decisions. I don't understand the argument.

If you're arguing that they would be better off with a degree, that's a different, and equally off base argument.

The rule does not require that the player head to college, earn any credits or anything similar to that. Nor does the NBA require any sort of degree from those who do meet its artificially increased age limit.

It is pure age discrimination.

Exactly.

The NBA isn't demanding that players spend those 2 years getting "more experience" playing ball in college or playing overseas. The NBA doesn't care what these kids do with their 2 years removed from high school...and, if you're a prospect as talented as, say, Michael Beasley, you may be better off flying a kite for 2 years than playing ball and risking a career ending injury.

they made far more money than they ever should have made and the GMs made the decisions. I don't understand the argument.

If you're arguing that they would be better off with a degree, that's a different, and equally off base argument.

The rule does not require that the player head to college, earn any credits or anything similar to that. Nor does the NBA require any sort of degree from those who do meet its artificially increased age limit.

When you draft an 18 year old kid out of high school you are drafting him on potential. Few are able to walk into the league and make an immediate impact.

To my knowledge only Amare and Lebron are the only two to win ROY.

If anything I would say it is a move to protect teams from investing millions of dollars in teenagers based on potential.

It's not like baseball where a kid has time to develop without all the hype for a few years in the minors.

Let's say you own a business - a record label, e.g. If you heard about an 18-year-old HS grad who was the most phenomenal producer/mixer you've ever heard, and he really wanted to work for your company, wouldn't you hire him? And then wouldn't you and the kid be really pissed if the music industry said, "sorry, you can't do that - you have to wait 2 more years before he can go work for you"?

When you draft an 18 year old kid out of high school you are drafting him on potential. Few are able to walk into the league and make an immediate impact.

To my knowledge only Amare and Lebron are the only two to win ROY.

If anything I would say it is a move to protect teams from investing millions of dollars in teenagers based on potential.

It's not like baseball where a kid has time to develop without all the hype for a few years in the minors.

Do teams really need that protection? Isn't that what scouts are for?

And are they "protecting" teams while preventing players (and teams) from reaping the rewards of world-class talent?

Why does the league need a rule? If the teams are concerned about the gamble of investing millions in teenagers, they don't have to draft them.

There are plenty of Tyler Hansbrough's and Chris Lofton's running around if team's feel safer by signing uperclassmen.

Do teams really need that protection? Isn't that what scouts are for?

And are they "protecting" teams while preventing players (and teams) from reaping the rewards of world-class talent?

I would think Stern couldn't do this if the owners didn't want it to happen. Scouts have opinions like to choose Kwame Brown 27 picks before Tony Parker.

They are a league and can do whatever they want.

Doesn't the NBPPA have to agree to this as well?

My theory would be that this move has more to do with attracting interest, outside of NBA cities, to the NBA.

Seems to me that with NBA viewership dropping over the past decade, the NBA might feel that having a superstar gain a following at a college could potentially turn into a following in the NBA.

Unfortunately, I believe the Association has completely lost sight of why college basketball fans do not care to follow pro basketball. To gain fans, the NBA should crack down on travelling and stop calling ticky-tack fouls (like hand checks or a little bit of body contact in the lane.)

They hey day of NBA was not just Michael and MJ. It was Lambier in the lane for the Pistons, and Mason, Oakley, and Ewing hammering people for the Knicks.

Guards and small forwards used to have to physically earn any points they scored in the paint. Now they glide down the lane and the sea parts for them.

If Stern, the owners and players agree it is best for the league how can fans argue it?

Well, it's not the kind of issue that's going to get people up in arms. It's just a stupid rule.

And if I were a player in the league, hell yeah I'd vote for it - keeps potentially better players (more competition) out of the league longer and protects my job. People in power will do whatever they can to keep that power.

Yes actually it does.

K has a problem with going after one and doners. He never even trys to throw his hat into the ring. Now he will IMO.

Plus if we land Favors, he can't leave just yet.

But please, use any reason you can to take a shot at Duke. It's not like i've never heard them before.

Yes actually it does.

K has a problem with going after one and doners. He never even trys to throw his hat into the ring. Now he will IMO.

Plus if we land Favors, he can't leave just yet.

But please, use any reason you can to take a shot at Duke. It's not like i've never heard them before.

Paranoid? I'm not taking a shot at Duke here.

Why does K have a problem with these players, and why would one more year of staying change that? K certainly didn't have a problem going after some 1/2-and-done guys who helped him in prior years (Maggette, Deng, Avery, Brand).

I hear you on the Favors thing, but remember, all the other programs who already are more than willing to take these guys will continue to get them, and hold onto them for an extra year. Which means K's competition should be stronger and more consistent.

Brand was not supposed to leave as early, neither was Avery. But he does go after one early pick every couple of years, like Shaun Livingston.

But most of his recruiting style as of late still consist of solid 3-4 year players, which I like personally, but would like to see a Beasley type player every once in a while. And who knows if K will lose the recruiting battle with other schools over these guys, because he never even offers most of the time.

If Stern, the owners and players agree it is best for the league how can fans argue it?
because it's against the law. discrimination based upon age is illegal, so long as we're talking about adults. If there were some prerequisite for the positions (ie. a masters degree), then I could understand. However, there is no stipulation except being far enough removed from HS graduation.

because it's against the law. discrimination based upon age is illegal, so long as we're talking about adults. If there were some prerequisite for the positions (ie. a masters degree), then I could understand. However, there is no stipulation except being far enough removed from HS graduation.

NFL?

The courts already ruled in the NFL's favor on this same issue, didn't they?

VN Store

Back