College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Watching Purdue-Wisconsin. Purdue is the better team, but just an observation that has been the case all this season: Purdue is the most protected team in college basketball. The whistle favors them every team they step foot on the court.
Man that is so true.

Probably hire a coach from a mid major school if history is any indicator. 4 of our last 5 coaches came from mid major schools. Barnes, having just been fired by Texas, was the exception
The only time in our entire program history that we poached a sitting P5 coach was Jerry Green, and Oregon pretty much helped him pack.

Reactions: BisonVol
Look, I like Danny White a lot. But he couldn’t get who he wanted in our main event sport. (No, Heupel was not his first choice.)

Let’s be fair though. When he was making the hire for football, he was making it under the absolute worst circumstances. Whenever he does have to make a hire for basketball, he’ll be doing so under the healthiest circumstances this program has ever seen.

This will be an extremely attractive job that will pay top dollar. He won’t have to settle for an up-and-comer unless he feels that is the best option and has faith in that person.

Houston-Kansas is a good cautionary tale of how razor sharp you have to be from the jump when you’re playing on the road in a matchup of highly ranked teams. If you’re not on your game from the beginning, especially on the defensive end, don’t be surprised when the home crowd starts to practically will shots in. Can’t get blown out early in these types of games.
Excellent point and that’s exactly what our Vols did yesterday. I haven’t seen them win a scorefest like that since the days of Williams, Bone and the Admiral

Look, I like Danny White a lot. But he couldn’t get who he wanted in our main event sport. (No, Heupel was not his first choice.)

To be fair, the circumstances under which DW was hiring a football coach were very undesirable. One would think, barring any highly unforeseen events, that we won’t have an NCAA cloud hanging over the basketball program when Rick retires. Still, I think we end up with a mid major coach, though. It’s hard to poach a coach from a high major school unless said coach is actively pursuing a way out of his current job. If the coach wants out, it usually means he wants to restart his clock.

Interesting that UT has “lost” several coaches to other P-5s.

Devoe was hired by Florida.
O’Neill scurried off to Northwestern (and then to USCw).
Pearl was hired by Auburn.
Cuonzo left for California (and then to Missouri).

Wade returned to his trucking company.
Buzz coached somewhere beneath mid-majors.
Jerry became a greeter at Kmart.
Donnie went to the NBA junior league.

Interesting that UT has “lost” several coaches to other P-5s.

Devoe was hired by Florida.
O’Neill scurried off to Northwestern (and then to USCw).
Pearl was hired by Auburn.
Cuonzo left for California (and then to Missouri).

Wade returned to his trucking company.
Buzz coached somewhere beneath mid-majors.
Jerry became a greeter at Kmart.
Donnie went to the NBA junior league.
Jerry and Kmart. Haha. Haven't heard that one in a while. Didn't he also name his boat "Four Twenties?"

Of the list, the only ones I hated losing at the time were O'Neill and Pearl.

Jerry and Kmart. Haha. Haven't heard that one in a while. Didn't he also name his boat "Four Twenties?"

4 20s sounds right.

Buzz kept his Cruisers Yacht tied up at the end of Dock C at Concord Marina. I don’t know if it ever left the slip.

Let’s be fair though. When he was making the hire for football, he was making it under the absolute worst circumstances. Whenever he does have to make a hire for basketball, he’ll be doing so under the healthiest circumstances this program has ever seen.

This will be an extremely attractive job that will pay top dollar. He won’t have to settle for an up-and-comer unless he feels that is the best option and has faith in that person.
Be careful around here. Truth hurts.

I doubt that he’ll “settle” for an up and comer. I do think that it will be a really good, younger, but not as proven over a long period of time Coach. The really good P-5/6 coaches looking for better opportunities usually would be heading to the NBA or a blue blood program.

English or Paris might be at the top of the getable list right now. But a lot can change before Barnes hangs it up.

We’ll probably hire one of the mid-major up and comers that just made a lot of NCAAT noise and have a few conference championships on their resume. It would be cool to get one from the Elite 8 or Final 4. One step beyond Bruce or KO with their fresh Sweet 16 runs.

With all due respect, how could you have hated losing O’Neill? He went 36-47 in three seasons and never had a winning record. His teams also barely averaged 60 ppg. IMO he and Tyndall are the worst coaches we’ve had in the last 30 years.

VN Store

Back