College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

What??? Give me a break.

Arkansas has 1 NCAAT Championship - Tennessee none
Arkansas has 2 National Championship Game appearances - Tennessee none
Arkansas 6 Final Four appearances - Tennessee none
Arkansas has 32 NCAAT appearances - Tennessee 22
Arkansas has over twice as many NCAA T wins with 45 - Tennessee has 22

giphy.gif

The more you say it, the dumber you look.

Reactions: Orange DNA
The national title was in 1994. It’s not like it was in the days of black and white TV. They also have more all time wins, a higher all time winning percentage, and 6 Final Fours.
They’ve been doo doo for the last quarter century. And for a long time they played in an Inferior conference. Tennessee basketball tradition >>> Arkansas

Arkansas ruled the Southwest Conference when the Texas teams didn’t give a **** about basketball. That was an easy environment to get free passes into the NCAAT. TN played 2nd fiddle to the winningest team in the NCAA and with the winningest coach in the NCAA when the NCAAT took one team per conference. Wade Houston was TN’s HC during the worst era of TN basketball and he routinely beat Arkansas during their best era.

Arkansas ruled the Southwest Conference when the Texas teams didn’t give a **** about basketball. That was an easy environment to get free passes into the NCAAT. TN played 2nd fiddle to the winningest team in the NCAA and with the winningest coach in the NCAA when the NCAAT took one team per conference. Wade Houston was TN’s HC during the worst era of TN basketball and he routinely beat Arkansas during their best era.
This is Arkansas's 3rd trip to the Elite Eight since they joined the SEC. They won a national title and got to the title game again as members of the SEC. This is their 16th time in the tournament since they joined the SEC, vs. 14 for us in the same period. So they can legitimately claim to have the better program at the moment.

Weirdly enough we beat Florida more often than not in their championship years as well. We haven't translated that to tournament success, which given the 4 times we were eliminated vs. Big Ten teams on weird calls I think we can chalk up to bad luck.

This is Arkansas's 3rd trip to the Elite Eight since they joined the SEC. They won a national title and got to the title game again as members of the SEC. This is their 16th time in the tournament since they joined the SEC, vs. 14 for us in the same period. So they can legitimately claim to have the better program at the moment.

Weirdly enough we beat Florida more often than not in their championship years as well. We haven't translated that to tournament success, which given the 4 times we were eliminated vs. Big Ten teams on weird calls I think we can chalk up to bad luck.
They have a better program at the moment? If by that you mean they went further in the tournament than us this year...

I’m not really discounting Nolan’s era. Except that he struggled with Wade and KY was off their dominating history when Arkansas came into the SEC. They were in a pathetic basketball conference before that and have done little in the nearly 3 decades since their run.

Arkansas, Florida, and LSU have flashed into the Final Four multiple times. Even GA, USC, and Mistake have slipped in. Sometimes the ball takes funny bounces in the one-and-done post season. A lucky run shouldn’t define a program’s entire history. Some of the best teams in the history of NCAA basketball didn’t bring home the hardware.

They have a better program at the moment? If by that you mean they went further in the tournament than us this year...
If you define it by history or by present performance, they’re ahead of us right now. Make up another metric and I’m sure you can put us ahead.

They’ve been doo doo for the last quarter century. And for a long time they played in an Inferior conference. Tennessee basketball tradition >>> Arkansas

Not sure how playing in the SWC matters when you have to beat teams from all sorts of conferences to advance in the tournament. If Gonzaga wins it all I’m sure they won’t care.

But yeah Arkansas basketball has a lot of similarities with Tennessee football. Bad coaching hires like Heath and Pelphrey sent us to the abyss. Anderson wasn’t awful and finished in the top 4 of the conference more often than not, but could never quite break through. Hopefully we’ve finally found the right guy, potential is there for Arkansas to be a top 15 team annually in basketball.

Reactions: LittleCat
Not sure how playing in the SWC matters when you have to beat teams from all sorts of conferences to advance in the tournament. If Gonzaga wins it all I’m sure they won’t care.

But yeah Arkansas basketball has a lot of similarities with Tennessee football. Bad coaching hires like Heath and Pelphrey sent us to the abyss. Anderson wasn’t awful and finished in the top 4 of the conference more often than not, but could never quite break through. Hopefully we’ve finally found the right guy, potential is there for Arkansas to be a top 15 team annually in basketball.

The SWC reference matters because historically Arkansas piled up a lot of those NCAAT invitations (and wins) in the one bid per conference era. The SWC was a garbage basketball conference. But I won’t argue that TN has more accomplishments... Arkansas obviously has the better hardware. But TN probably had a better team than most of those SWC Arkansas teams.

Arkansas has 1 NCAAT Championship - Tennessee none
Arkansas has 2 National Championship Game appearances - Tennessee none
Arkansas 6 Final Four appearances - Tennessee none
Arkansas has 32 NCAAT appearances - Tennessee 22
Arkansas has over twice as many NCAA T wins with 45 - Tennessee has 22

Over the last 72 years. Since 1950, Tennessee has had better teams in more years and on average, better teams. And while they had a good run w Richardson, for about the same length of time in the 60s and 70s, they were a dumpster fire. And they haven’t been good recently either. Not a player today was alive when they were great. Over the last quarter century, Tennessee is undoubtedly the better program which carries more weight in talking about a programs standing.

VN Store

Back