College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

-If Tennessee wins the SECT, they are a 1 seed, IMO, and they have a rock solid case over Gonzaga in that event. If they don't win it, then they aren't. Simple as that.

Devils advocate here but what if we beat Kentucky and lose in the final.

How could the committee give Kentucky the 1 seed then ?

USCe is the funny one. Frank Martin has really been a very average if not subpar coach except for 2 weekends that one year. His team has faded once again down the stretch and somehow caught lightning in a bottle. Many would point to that as valadating him as a coach but I can't do that. He's just a blow hard average coach

I agree!..he’s a D**k

Devils advocate here but what if we beat Kentucky and lose in the final.

How could the committee give Kentucky the 1 seed then ?
They couldn't give it to UK if they lose to Tennessee in the semis. I'm not sure UK gets one unless they win the SECT.

Then do you believe UK gets one as long as they win tomorrow, provided that Tennessee loses in the finals, or do you think the winner of the potential TN/KY semifinal is an automatic 1?

Honestly I don't know.
My opinion all along has been that the committee doesn't factor in these tourneys like most assume they do so I personally think Kentucky already has a 1 in the bag. I also think We could also get one ahead of Gonzaga if we win it

Honestly I don't know.
My opinion all along has been that the committee doesn't factor in these tourneys like most assume they do so I personally think Kentucky already has a 1 in the bag. I also think We could also get one ahead of Gonzaga if we win it
Assuming you agree UVA has one locked up, then you must believe that either a second ACC team (UNC or Duke) doesn't get one, or MSU doesn't get one by winning the Big10T?

I have a hard time seeing UK and MSU both getting a 1 seed with 6 losses over Gonzaga.

Assuming you agree UVA has one locked up, then you must believe that either a second ACC team (UNC or Duke) doesn't get one, or MSU doesn't get one by winning the Big10T?

I have a hard time seeing UK and MSU both getting a 1 seed with 6 losses over Gonzaga.

I think Kentucky is well ahead of MSU

I think 7 teams have a shot at the 4 #1s.

UVA - lock

UNC - lock by winning ACCT
Duke - lock by winning ACCT
Kentucky - lock by winning SECT
Tennessee - lock by winning SECT
Michigan State - lock by winning Big10T

Gonzaga

I think Kentucky is well ahead of MSU
I think they are ahead right now, but if UK loses before the final, and MSU wins the Big 10, then they have identical records, and MSU is a conference tourney champ with the most Q1 wins in the country.

Honestly I don't know.
So if UK loses opening night or even 2nd game they’re still getting a 1 in your opinion?

WVU beat Oklahoma...but they still have the Sooners in the tourney at 19-13 with a 7-11 league record and 4-10 in quad 1 games...gotta be a team more deserving than them imo....they would be the 1st team in 20 yrs to make the tourney with double digit losses in 18 game league schedule

WVU beat Oklahoma...but they still have the Sooners in the tourney at 19-13 with a 7-11 league record and 4-10 in quad 1 games...gotta be a team more deserving than them imo....they would be the 1st team in 20 yrs to make the tourney with double digit losses in 18 game league schedule

I think Alabama went 8-10 in SEC play last year.

Reactions: VolnJC
I think 7 teams have a shot at the 4 #1s.

UVA - lock

UNC - lock by winning ACCT
Duke - lock by winning ACCT
Kentucky - lock by winning SECT
Tennessee - lock by winning SECT
Michigan State - lock by winning Big10T

Gonzaga
Why isn't LSU a lock if they win the tournament? The will have won both regular season and tournament and 3-0 over UT/UK. Just as good season record as all the other One seeds. Frankly I think they should be ranked ahead of UT and UK right now. I guarantee if you switched jerseys between LSU and UK with all else the same, that team would be ranked #3 right now.

I think Gonzaga has a #1 locked up.
I think UVA locks one in with win today.
I think Carolina is the next strongest team right now. They could get a one seed with only one more win.
That leaves Duke being forced to win the ACCT and/or Kentucky/Tennessee having to win the SEC. No idea how that would shake out. If Duke wins the ACC, Carolina might fall due to not wanting three teams from the same conference. It wouldn't be unprecedented, but I think it's unlikely this year, due to so many conferences being AT least top heavy (I'm looking at you PAC-12 as the weak link).

Michigan St is playing like a top 3 team right now, but I think they need more help. UVA or Carolina winning the ACC, anyone but Kentucky/Tennessee winning the SEC.

Last edited:
I think Gonzaga has a #1 locked up.
I think UVA locks one in with win today.
I think Carolina is the next strongest team right now. They could get a one seed with only one more win.
That leaves Duke being forced to win the ACCT and/or Kentucky/Tennessee having to win the SEC. No idea how that would shake out. If Duke wins the ACC, Carolina might fall due to not wanting three teams from the same conference. It wouldn't be unprecedented, but I think it's unlikely this year, due to so many conferences being AT least top heavy (I'm looking at you PAC-12 as the weak link).

Michigan St is playing like a top 3 team right now, but I think they need more help. UVA or Carolina winning the ACC, anyone but Kentucky/Tennessee winning the SEC.

Virginia only has 2 losses

They 100% have locked up a 1 seed.

Reactions: cncchris33
So when are we supposed to get the news today that this is all a ruse ran by Duke and Zion isn’t playing? I keep refreshing, but I’m only getting info that he’s back.

VN Store

Back