College Football's 13 Worst Coaching Hires of the Past Decade

Having better athletes makes all coaches look better. This is a tired dogma about CBJ.

Also like any coach, at the end of the day he is no better or worse than his record indicates.
A tired dogma... but is it untrue?

Also, I think there's a lot more to a coach than their record. Otherwise, Nick Saban was a mediocre coach his first year at Bama, then suddenly become the GOAT, or Heupel is a worse coach now than he was at UCF. There's a lot of nuance and moving pieces, and you can have a good record despite not being a good coach.

Agreed. He also beat Georgia and was a few bad calls and personnel mismanagement away from winning the east. He has to be the only coach in SEC division history that beat both Florida and Georgia in the same season and DIDNT win the east. That’s why it’s certainly debatable.
C’Mon man - Dobbs overcame Jones’ terrible leadership for any big wins that happened. Dobbs improvised when things constantly broke down.

Reactions: mpfvol
A tired dogma... but is it untrue?

Also, I think there's a lot more to a coach than their record. Otherwise, Nick Saban was a mediocre coach his first year at Bama, then suddenly become the GOAT, or Heupel is a worse coach now than he was at UCF. There's a lot of nuance and moving pieces, and you can have a good record despite not being a good coach.

Nick was a mediocre to a little bove average coach...until he had all those amazing Dobbs like athletes to make him seem like a GOAT.

Actually... mamy of his athletes were better than Dobbs.

Last edited:
SIAP.

UT clocks in twice. I'm thankful that it appears that we may have finally broken out of this streak.

College football's 13 worst coaching hires from the past decade
OGC.63178fe1aee38a8cbba29400a9d29ed1

Only the 10 year definition of the ranking kept us from having three on the list.

Sure he did!. Dobbs, Kamara, Hurd, Barnett, etc etc etc. I know he's a turd, but you cant deny that he wasn't as bad as Doolander or Pruitt.
I dislike Jones more and think he is more of a lying snake than the others. Dooley was unprepared and only got the job because of his name. Pruitt had a lot of D coordinating success but was a classic Peter principle where he was promoted to his level of incompetence. There were too many crazy things happened under Jones. He clearly lied to these players and their families left and right. Hurd leaving was crazy and it was obvious he was promised I formation to return then it never happened. Plus, the trumpet blower never played college football. A carnival barker and snake oil salesman. The other two were just failures. JMO

Reactions: VOLfrombama
I dislike Jones more and think he is more of a lying snake than the others. Dooley was unprepared and only got the job because of his name. Pruitt had a lot of D coordinating success but was a classic Peter principle where he was promoted to his level of incompetence. There were too many crazy things happened under Jones. He clearly lied to these players and their families left and right. Hurd leaving was crazy and it was obvious he was promised I formation to return then it never happened. Plus, the trumpet blower never played college football. A carnival barker and snake oil salesman. The other two were just failures. JMO
I agree with everything you said, but results are results. Unfortunately, botch won many more games. That equals more success. Urban Meyer is a complete trash person, but is held in a higher regard for similar reasons.

Like I said, I know he’s a turd. He still won more games.

He was still a better coach than the two who werent in the band.

Pruitt should have been the #1 guy on that list. A POS as a human and a dumba.. to boot.

Anyone that shows up drunk and wanting to fight on Mark Richt's lawn...has no business being a head coach.

Nick was a mediocre to a little bove average coach...until he had all those amazing Dobbs like athletes to make him seem like a GOAT.

Actually... mamy of his athletes were better than Dobbs.
You truly believe that? He built up Michigan St, LSU, and Bama. None were good when he got there. Yes, he's good at acquiring talent, but he's also a good coach and good user of talent.

Butch's success coincides with Dobbs. With Dobbs, we were teetering, but winning. Without him, we were the first 4-8 team in UT history. Dobbs's playmaking had nothing to do with coaching, and often happened when a play broke down or we were already down double-digits. It was not a sign of sound coaching, like Saban's machines of consistency. What happened to Butch doesn't happen to a good coach

Reactions: Volatility
You truly believe that? He built up Michigan St, LSU, and Bama. None were good when he got there. Yes, he's good at acquiring talent, but he's also a good coach and good user of talent.

Butch's success coincides with Dobbs. With Dobbs, we were teetering, but winning. Without him, we were the first 4-8 team in UT history. Dobbs's playmaking had nothing to do with coaching, and often happened when a play broke down or we were already down double-digits. It was not a sign of sound coaching, like Saban's machines of consistency. What happened to Butch doesn't happen to a good coach

Saban didnt build Michigan State up. His predecessor's winning pct was slighly over .500. Sabans was .585. He won no conference championships nor anything of note.

At LSU he had more talent than most teams he played. When he has more talent..he wins more than he loses.

In the NFL where talent gaps arent nearly as large as in the collegiate game...well ...he didnt build anything up, thats for certain.

When he arrived at Bama his record indicated the talent level. Once the Bama boosters began helping...he began winning.

Im not saying he is a bad coach...but to pretend that out talenting everyone hasnt played a large role in his record at Bama...cmon. Im sure he is better than average but IMO there are other coaches that could do the same as CNS if they had the opportunity.

With NIL and some of the collectives out there doing what they do and pulling talent away from Saban we may have the opportunity to see just how well he does when his team cant run faster, hit harder and jump higher than his opponents.

Saban didnt build Michigan State up. His predecessor's winning pct was slighly over .500. Sabans was .585. He won no conference championships nor anything of note.

At LSU he had more talent than most teams he played. When he has more talent..he wins more than he loses.

In the NFL where talent gaps arent nearly as large as in the collegiate game...well ...he didnt build anything up, thats for certain.

When he arrived at Bama his record indicated the talent level. Once the Bama boosters began helping...he began winning.

Im not saying he is a bad coach...but to pretend that out talenting everyone hasnt played a large role in his record at Bama...cmon. Im sure he is better than average but IMO there are other coaches that could do the same as CNS if they had the opportunity.

With NIL and some of the collectives out there doing what they do and pulling talent away from Saban we may have the opportunity to see just how well he does when his team cant run faster, hit harder and jump higher than his opponents.
Well, we're officially way off topic lol. Of course talent plays a huge part. I said he's good at acquiring talent, using talent, and coaching. 2/3 of those revolve around talent, so I'm not pretending that talent isn't a huge part. But he is better at acquiring talent than other coaches, which factors in to him being a great HC.

When talking about building a program, the overall winning percentage doesn't show the full picture. To me, the best indicator is how good were they before he got there, and how good were they after he built them.

Mich St
Year before he got there: 0-11.
He got them to 10-2 in 5 years.

LSU
Year before he got there: 3-8 (doubt there was more talent there than most of the SEC)
He won them a national championship 3 years later, and he arguably turned them into the powerhouse they became for decades afterward.

Bama
Year before he got there: 6-7
He got them a natty 3 years later, and the rest is history with them.

That's two national championships won with senior classes that he didn't even recruit. But regardless of talent, not just anybody can win as consistently as he does, or else they would be doing it. There's a world of difference between plucking a national championship every once in a while to winning it almost every other year. He doesn't have THAT much more talent than Clemson, Georgia, Ohio St, Oklahoma, LSU, etc.

But anyway, Butch had a nice recruiting run for two years before it all came crashing down, despite his talent acquisition.

Reactions: Volatility

VN Store

Back