College Football's 13 Worst Coaching Hires of the Past Decade

He beat Florida..

Not a fan of his by the way...
Agreed. He also beat Georgia and was a few bad calls and personnel mismanagement away from winning the east. He has to be the only coach in SEC division history that beat both Florida and Georgia in the same season and DIDNT win the east. That’s why it’s certainly debatable.

He absolutely deserves to be in the list

He mismanaged the program and underachieved relative to the on-roster talent, that's not up for debate, but that idiocy still yielded three straight bowl wins (two seasons ending ranked!) coming off of the Dooley era.

I think Butch was the wrong coach for Tennessee, but this list's selections are questionable.

He mismanaged the program and underachieved relative to the on-roster talent, that's not up for debate, but that idiocy still yielded three straight bowl wins (two seasons ending ranked!) coming off of the Dooley era.

I think Butch was the wrong coach for Tennessee, but this list's selections are questionable.

We were one of only 2 programs (at the time) to have never lost 8 conference games. Us and Ohio State. He caused us to go 0-8 in 2017. He had a losing record against Vandy. Butch Jones was 2-3 against Vandy. I will say But h doesn’t deserve to ranked #8 on this list. But he deserves to be on it.

precious Dooley was worse than Jones. But it’s tough pulling off 3 worse hires in a row than those 3.
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner! One can debate which one was worse than the others but what is absolutely not debatable is that we made 3 horrendous choices in a row. And one could add Kiffin to the list of bad coaching hires. No question he can coach but our administration didn’t recognize what an egotistical, immature jerk he was. A man without a loyal bone in his body who jumped when USC called after one year. Only loyal to Lane Kiffin. I blame the last 15 years on the worst set of Presidents and Chancellors that we could have had. Inept boobs would be a kind term. The latest pair is showing signs of having a pulse.

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner! One can debate which one was worse than the others but what is absolutely not debatable is that we made 3 horrendous choices in a row. And one could add Kiffin to the list of bad coaching hires. No question he can coach but our administration didn’t recognize what an egotistical, immature jerk he was. A man without a loyal bone in his body who jumped when USC called after one year. Only loyal to Lane Kiffin. I blame the last 15 years on the worst set of Presidents and Chancellors that we could have had. Inept boobs would be a kind term. The latest pair is showing signs of having a pulse.

Damn, I agree 100%. The Kiffin hire was just as bad cause his leaving after 1 yr in the middle of the night made a bad situation worse. Those responsible for the 15 yr debacle (less a couple 9 win seasons) are the leadership at the University. Bad people hire bad people who hire more bad people. I think they’ve corrected that now.

Agreed. He also beat Georgia and was a few bad calls and personnel mismanagement away from winning the east. He has to be the only coach in SEC division history that beat both Florida and Georgia in the same season and DIDNT win the east. That’s why it’s certainly debatable.

Fulmer beat Fla & Ga and damn if Majors didn’t screw it up.

I think Butch had the highest highs and lowest lows of the 3. I honestly think he was the worst coach (roster mismanagement, insane injury problems, culture, weird coaching decisions), but having Dobbs really covered up a lot of blemishes. Even in some of our big wins, seems like we were down double digits and Dobbs took over the game.

I think Butch had the highest highs and lowest lows of the 3. I honestly think he was the worst coach (roster mismanagement, insane injury problems, culture, weird coaching decisions), but having Dobbs really covered up a lot of blemishes. Even in some of our big wins, seems like we were down double digits and Dobbs took over the game.

Having better athletes makes all coaches look better. This is a tired dogma about CBJ.

Also like any coach, at the end of the day he is no better or worse than his record indicates.

He absolutely deserves to be in the list
I guess so ... but even though he inherited practically nothing from Dooley, he fielded a pretty good team by his 3rd season in 2015. That is the only season since 2001, that Tennessee didn't lose a game by 14 points or more. Tennessee had a good chance to win every game in the 4th quarter... but since they did choke away both the Oklahoma and Florida games, you can't really argue the point.

VN Store

Back