College Football is officially a joke

I suspect Michigan is a good but not great team. The great news is we will find out. I think Bama wins by 2 scores.
I agree, Michigan hasnt recruited on the level of Alabama or Georgia. They benefit from a soft conference and an Underwhelming Ohio St team.

Reactions: hUTch2002
I’m not even sure what you’re arguing about anymore. The UGA FSU won’t tell us squat about the committee’s decision, no matter who wins. The bottom line is the committee inconsistently applied their standard to get the games they thought would be the best. Is Bama better than FSU right now? Probably. I think they are but I also thought Oregon would beat Washington.
My point has been very clear right from the start...uga and bama are much better teams than fsu and therefore deserve to be in the playoffs before fsu. Uga will play fsu in the orange bowl and uga will put fsu away by halftime...not sure why that is difficult to understand. It's your point that is unclear...you believe that fsu is not as good but think they should be in playoffs anyway?? What sense does that make?

Reactions: cgrish
Fair. You’re right and I was wrong on that. I don’t know why I thought that game was at LSU but it clearly wasn’t. Still a good win but not the same as Death Valley at all.
It’s a solid win . I think it’s had the opposite effect the last 2 years for FSU. Last season they beat LSU in NOLA and the win progressively got better bc LSU won the West. This season it progressively got worse bc LSU didn’t live up to its preseason expectations. LSU is FSU’s best win and it happened the first weekend of the season . I can make the argument that Bama’s best win was the last week, or championship weekend. I can also say that FSU’s worst wins (at least from an eye test level) were the last 2 weekends vs Florida and Louisville and at BC when Travis was healthy. Despite what may be right or wrong, FSU is the victim of bad timing and a criteria that was wrong to begin with. After what everyone saw the past two weekends I think it’s hard to make an argument that FSU in its current state is a top 4 team, and if there were a CFP using the the top 12 teams I would take every team in the top 13 over them head to head. That doesn’t mean they don’t deserve their shot, but that’s just how I see it after watching them play.

It’s a solid win . I think it’s had the opposite effect the last 2 years for FSU. Last season they beat LSU in NOLA and the win progressively got better bc LSU won the West. This season it progressively got worse bc LSU didn’t live up to its preseason expectations. LSU is FSU’s best win and it happened the first weekend of the season . I can make the argument that Bama’s best win was the last week, or championship weekend. I can also say that FSU’s worst wins (at least from an eye test level) were the last 2 weekends vs Florida and Louisville and at BC when Travis was healthy. Despite what may be right or wrong, FSU is the victim of bad timing and a criteria that was wrong to begin with. After what everyone saw the past two weekends I think it’s hard to make an argument that FSU in its current state is a top 4 team, and if there were a CFP using the the top 12 teams I would take every team in the top 13 over them head to head. That doesn’t mean they don’t deserve their shot, but that’s just how I see it after watching them play.
All that makes sense. Good stuff.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
My point has been very clear right from the start...uga and bama are much better teams than fsu and therefore deserve to be in the playoffs before fsu. Uga will play fsu in the orange bowl and uga will put fsu away by halftime...not sure why that is difficult to understand. It's your point that is unclear...you believe that fsu is not as good but think they should be in playoffs anyway?? What sense does that make?
My point is the committee is inconsistent. They say they want the 4 best teams yet, to me, why is UGA not in then? I personally don’t see how they’re not one of the 4 best. Yes I believe that a Power 5 team running the table while playing 2 more Power 5 teams (even SEC teams not named Vandy) should be in the playoffs. The playoffs were implemented to fix what happened to Auburn in 2004 yet here we are again. However, right now today I would guess that UGA and Bama are better. I just don’t think you can take a 1-loss team over an undefeated team on a guess. The undefeated team did what was asked, win them all. The 1-loss teams opened the door for debate by losing. That’s how I see it.

Oh, and I think you mentioned SOS in another post. I don’t put much stock in that ESPN SOS. Here’s why.
1. It’s part of their FPI formula that stupidly has 3 Big 10 teams as the 3 best teams in the country. There’s no way Penn State is the 3rd best team.
2. UGA moved from 61st to 37th by playing Bama. Somehow FSU dropped a spot from 54th to 55th by playing Louisville. That makes absolutely no sense.
I do agree Bama played a tougher schedule than FSU. By how much? Who knows but it’s not 50 spots better. Something is off with that ESPN math, which is not shocking.

Last edited:
My point is the committee is inconsistent. They say they want the 4 best teams yet, to me, why is UGA not in then? I personally don’t see how they’re not one of the 4 best. Yes I believe that a Power 5 team running the table while playing 2 more Power 5 teams (even SEC teams not named Vandy) should be in the playoffs. The playoffs were implemented to fix what happened to Auburn in 2004 yet here we are again. However, right now today I would guess that UGA and Bama are better. I just don’t think you can take a 1-loss team over an undefeated team on a guess. The undefeated team did what was asked, win them all. The 1-loss teams opened the door for debate by losing. That’s how I see it.
Yea, I would agree that the case could very easily be made that uga should be in over washington. Do you think tcu should have been in the playoffs last year?

College football is truly dead. Heard an SEC beat writer on the radio say that top portal QBs are going for $2M. This is crazy!!! It's no salary cap pay to win!

College football is truly dead. Heard an SEC beat writer on the radio say that top portal QBs are going for $2M. This is crazy!!! It's no salary cap pay to win!

Explain that to me - you are saying they are being guaranteed endorsements totaling that much before they have even proven their worth? Most of the QB's I have seen out there are NOT the best ones but ones who were overlooked by their current team.

Eventually the offensive linemen, WRs, TE, etc are going to look at that QB and say - since you are worth so much, do it yourself.

Explain that to me - you are saying they are being guaranteed endorsements totaling that much before they have even proven their worth? Most of the QB's I have seen out there are NOT the best ones but ones who were overlooked by their current team.

Eventually the offensive linemen, WRs, TE, etc are going to look at that QB and say - since you are worth so much, do it yourself.
I think it means the market value for a top-level QB in the portal is $2M (NIL) but I'm not sure how any of this works. It's just more and more becoming evident that the best teams are going to be the ones that have paid for the best rosters.

1 game on the road at the Swamp at night is hardly an easy task for a first time starter. Made the right decision based on what? The committee didn’t apply their supposed standard consistently. If they did, UGA would be in.
Only Tennessee seems to have trouble there. Even Arkansas won at Florida. His performance was not impressive and it doesn't make FSU a top 4 team now.

And yes, had UGA won then FSU still would have been left out because FSU is not a top 4 team now.

Why do you stop at differentiating conference at power 5? Why not group them in 3 groups: SEC, Other P5, Group of 5? Look at Playoff results, OSU, Clemson, and any SEC team that makes the playoffs, that is who advances. Any other combination historically doesn’t perform. It makes sense to then favor the SEC, or OSU, Clemson.

Yea, I would agree that the case could very easily be made that uga should be in over washington. Do you think tcu should have been in the playoffs last year?
Or even Michigan. At least Washington beat Oregon twice, won at Oregon State, won at Arizona, won at USC, beat Utah and absolutely decimated Boise State out of conference. 7 games against teams with winning records. Granted, those 2 Oregon wins are probably better than the rest of those wins combined. Michigan beat Ohio State, won at Penn State, beat Iowa and won at Maryland. Those are the only teams with winning records Michigan played. 4. Maryland and Iowa aren’t very good either. I do think Penix is probably the best player in the playoffs. The only player better nationally is Daniels.

To your question, last year the committee took the easy way out by putting 1-loss TCU in. This year they did the opposite. On the surface it made sense given Bama and UT had 2 losses. Of course had Saban not been a moron going for 2 twice against LSU and kicked XPs instead then they wouldn’t have lost that game. Aside from that, I think losing the Big 12 Championship opened the door to arguing whether they belonged or not. I do think Bama and likely UT were better teams but I have no problem with TCU making it last year. Bama’s only losses were at UT by 3 and at LSU by 1 in OT vs TCU’s loss being vs K State, a team they had beaten once already. Had TCU’s coach not lost his mind at the 1-TD line they would’ve won so basically LSU to Bama and K State to TCU cancel each other out. Neither team had any great wins with both of their best wins being at Texas. Bama won by 1, TCU by 7. TCU didn’t play a game like at UT so they had 1 less loss but they also played an extra game over Bama since LSU won the West. Sorry for the long answer, sort of talking through it as I type as I didn’t recall all the details from last year. Yes, I believe TCU was right to include. They did beat Michigan in the semis before UGA destroyed them.

College football is so hard to predict that I think on field results have to outweigh opinion of strength. For example, Ohio State should have beaten UGA last year. Michigan hammered Ohio State in Columbus. TCU beat Michigan so you’d think they’d have at least been competitive against UGA but we all know what happened there.

Only Tennessee seems to have trouble there. Even Arkansas won at Florida. His performance was not impressive and it doesn't make FSU a top 4 team now.

And yes, had UGA won then FSU still would have been left out because FSU is not a top 4 team now.
Unfortunately your first statement is true but being his first start on the road in the Swamp at night with so much on the line is hard to handle. They won though. Your last statement is interesting. You think Texas would be in over FSU had UGA won? I disagree because I don’t think the committee would’ve taken the 4 unbeaten teams then rather than leave one out as I don’t think they have consistent standards. If they were consistent then yes they would’ve taken Texas. We will never know though.

They’ll eventually cap it. I think this change of the schools being able to pay players is the first step in that process. They’ll eventually set limits by position.

Why do you stop at differentiating conference at power 5? Why not group them in 3 groups: SEC, Other P5, Group of 5? Look at Playoff results, OSU, Clemson, and any SEC team that makes the playoffs, that is who advances. Any other combination historically doesn’t perform. It makes sense to then favor the SEC, or OSU, Clemson.
You can’t be serious. Then why even play the games? Let’s put Clemson in this year and see how it goes. You can’t take prior years into account. It’s what happened on the field this year. Otherwise why even play semifinals games? The average margin of victory is 19 points in the semis. Why okay then if we already know what will happen? Let’s just hand pick 2 teams we think are best.

Last edited:
Unfortunately your first statement is true but being his first start on the road in the Swamp at night with so much on the line is hard to handle. They won though. Your last statement is interesting. You think Texas would be in over FSU had UGA won? I disagree because I don’t think the committee would’ve taken the 4 unbeaten teams then rather than leave one out as I don’t think they have consistent standards. If they were consistent then yes they would’ve taken Texas. We will never know though.
I believe Texas would be in over FSU. They don't have the major injury to overcome, which the committee is in fact supposed to consider. It was a real bad situation for FSU. If their QB didn't get hurt like he did then they would be in. Having only 4 teams eligible for postseason play out of 130 by opinion only is the most absurd way to determine a champ.

Reactions: hUTch2002
J
You can’t be serious. Then why even play the games? Let’s put Clemson in this year and see how it goes. You can take prior years into account. It’s what happened on the field this year. Otherwise why even play semifinals games? The average margin of victory is 19 points in the semis. Why okay then if we already know what will happen? Let’s just hand pick 2 teams we think are best
Just because the margin is 19 doesn’t mean the favorite won…. Why do you assume the power 5 are better than the group of 5 just because that has been the case? Do the games on the field even matter to you? See how that works for teams like liberty too?

J

Just because the margin is 19 doesn’t mean the favorite won…. Why do you assume the power 5 are better than the group of 5 just because that has been the case? Do the games on the field even matter to you? See how that works for teams like liberty too?
I do. Liberty hasn’t played near the schedule of FSU. Agreed?

Yes. Everyone has conveniently forgotten that last year's semifinal games were the best, most competitive games we've ever seen since the 4-team playoff was instituted. And not only that, TCU won theirs. Does that not matter at all?

Yes. Everyone has conveniently forgotten that last year's semifinal games were the best, most competitive games we've ever seen since the 4-team playoff was instituted. And not only that, TCU won theirs. Does that not matter at all?
Not when you consider that the team they played had been cheating all year and TCU was tipped off to that fact.

Reactions: cgrish and StickMan
Not when you consider that the team they played had been cheating all year and TCU was tipped off to that fact.
Hahaha!! I love it, that's gold! Be careful, though. There are folks out there who are idiotic enough to think you're serious. I do appreciate the humor.

We discussed this a little bit, but IMO when you have conference championship games featuring top 5, top 8 opponents it kind of allows the committee to use it as a de facto CFP quarterfinal game if the circumstances allow. We saw that with Bama vs UGA and Oregon vs Washington this season. I think hypothetically if you had an undefeated FSU team playing a 1 loss Clemson team playing in the ACC title game the winner of that game gets in and the loser is out. Unfortunately for FSU, they had the perfect storm where not only was their star quarterback injured (on a designed QB run vs N. Alabama 🤦‍♂️) they didn’t get the chance to showcase how they would perform against upper echelon opponents because Florida sucks and Louisville had just lost to a mediocre Kentucky team . The bottom line is that the teams on FSU’s schedule didn’t do them any favors down the stretch. My idea to counter this would be that every power 5?3? Whatever is now, has to play another power conference opponent after the mid way point of the season. We used to to do that with Notre Dame and Miami, but uniform scheduling would make things more equal IMO. Hell, I’ll say that every season there needs to be a Big 12/SEC challenge or ACC/Big 10 challenge and rotate it to see how the conferences stack up. If teams can schedule 4 days out during Covid, we can flex schedule a year ahead for conference challenge to match the projected best teams the way that basketball does .

VN Store

Back