College Football is officially a joke

Whoever wins, I expect to see some unbelievably physical hits on defense for both sides. The ice baths will be booked solid after this one
I expect that no matter who wins it will be used to justify either leaving FSU out or supposedly indicate they should’ve been in. Neither would be true.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
College football is a business, period.

Nobody is going to want to watch FSU without their starting QB playing.

I knew the committee would put Bama in. They’re scared of Nick Saban throwing one of his tantrums again.

It’s all about money and ratings. Head to head match ups don’t matter anymore.
And that’s the truth. I wish the committee would’ve just said that and left it there.

Sometimes that’s not enough. Their conference is shat this year. They paid the price for it.
In my opinion winning is more important. I mean rewarding winning every game. This sets a bad precedent. In my opinion it was a mistake. Jmo

The problem is that a human committee can’t observe data objectively. I can sympathize. FSU beat Louisville, whose 2 previous losses were to a 4-8 Pitt team and Kentucky. Losing to Texas is going to count a lot more than winning in Death Valley at a time when Clemson was seriously floundering- a team that lost to 7-5 Duke, 7-5 Miami, and a 9-3 NC State.

At the same time, I also see FSU’s point. If people had wanted objectivity, they would’ve kept the BCS formula in place for playoff selection, but even then it doesn’t solve the problem because models are only as good as the values of the data emphasized and the weight they are given. There isn’t a foolproof system, but the BCS formula at least had a system. The committee relies on human emotion. In the BCS, if the data favored FSU, then the injury to Travis would be irrelevant as long as they were still ranked in the AP and Coaches poll because the computer effect would balance the human opinion.
That's the primary issue, and is why there is such outrage. If they had simply kept the BCS formula in place, flawed as it may have been, there can be no big outcry because the parameters were known going in and there was no 'finagling' by humans in the final rankings.

I said it earlier, but if the committee had said at the outset "the rankings will be who we have deemed to be the best four teams, period" without mentioning criteria, which they did too often during the process, then once again the outcry wouldn't have been as great, because Florida State would have been dropped out of the top four right after the Travis injury. You can't say conference titles and winning all your games is important one week, then suddenly it isn't a week later. But they did exactly that.

Having Florida State at #4 the week before and then dropping them after they completed an unbeaten season and a conference title was just incredibly over the top, and exposed this committee as shills for ESPN, nothing more and nothing less.

It's best 4 teams in December not September not October not November. With the injury FSU is not top four at the end of the year.

But they were top four the week before, even knowing Travis was out and after a weak effort against Florida? See, that's the problem - take them out after the Travis injury and there is no controversy other than some unhappiness in Tallahassee, but to be at #4, then win a conference championship game with your 3rd string QB against a ranked team, and then be dropped?

You're just asking for trouble, and that's what they got, especially when you elevate a team you had at #8 the week before and also rank Florida State above Georgia. So the 'committee' honestly feels that FSU with a backup QB is better than Georgia?

The whole thing stinks to high heaven, and it is because there was never a system other than insuring that ESPN got the best matchups.

Last edited:
I think they really messed up with the rankings prior to Championship week. FSU should not have been anywhere close to number 4 and Bama should have been ranked higher than 8. They should have paid more attention leading up to the final poll.
I’m shocked Georgia fans aren’t throwing more of a fit dropping the way they did only losing by 3 but there was no way they were putting two SEC teams in. Just too many really good teams this year.
Next year everyone will be bitching about the 11 versus 12 spot as if they will have a chance against the top four but I guess that’s why they play the game.

Reactions: cgrish
So you ignore 3 months of ball and make a decision on two weeks. Got it.

Edit: If it’s the 4 best then where’s UGA?
Uga is not the best 4. Tired of people advocating for that crap. Uga got beat because for the first time all year, they actually played a tough team who’s gotten better and better as the year went on and paid the consequences.

So you can't answer why UGA has a better case than FSU. Understood, I didn't think you could back up that statement. It was actually a simple answer but if you think the outcome of FSU vs UGA's bowl game is going to tell us anything about the committee's decision then I can't explain football to you.
I can in a simple phrase...strength of schedule, but you are going to argue anyway that fsu is undefeated even though they didn't play anyone outside of lsu. It would be a waste of time to discuss it with you because you aren't being objective. Georgia will curb stomp them and you will still make excuses for fsu, but just a lot more quietly because you will still have your hatred for uga and bama that blind you.

In my opinion winning is more important. I mean rewarding winning every game. This sets a bad precedent. In my opinion it was a mistake. Jmo
Winning is definitely important. But it’s kind of like liberty. They won. How do you think their bowl game will go? Not pretty I assume. Record doesn’t always paint the full picture.

UT had a few teams in the 90s whose record was unblemished except for an early loss to Florida. I don't recall anyone -- not even our own fans -- suggesting that the early loss wasn't significant and that the team's improvement over the course of the season qualified them to play for a national championship.

For all its flaws, the old system of crowning a national champion at least made no pretense of objectivity.

Reactions: sami
Based on what? UGA beat Ole Miss at home and Missouri at home. FSU beat LSU at LSU, which is better than either of those wins for UGA. FSU won the ACC, UGA didn’t win the SEC. FSU is 13-0, UGA is 12-1. The only case UGA has is that they’re “better” than FSU but there’s nothing other than guessing that proves it.
FSU beat LSU in Orlando on a Sunday night Labor Day weekend. Not exactly Death Valley at night.

So you can't answer why UGA has a better case than FSU. Understood, I didn't think you could back up that statement. It was actually a simple answer but if you think the outcome of FSU vs UGA's bowl game is going to tell us anything about the committee's decision then I can't explain football to you.
You know fsu is going to get beat and beat bad.....and you know your argument won't have any substance when they do, but you want to make the argument now because you have an agenda. I learned a long time ago not to waste time arguing with biased people. I'll just let the game prove it to you...or prove it to everyone else if you refuse to accept it. I could say things like the committee is looking at the fact that fsu sos is 55th in the nation, while bama's is 4th, but you aren't going to accept that because you are only considering your dislike of bama and uga. No unbiased person, who knows football, believes fsu is anywhere near as good as bama or uga.

Uga is not the best 4. Tired of people advocating for that crap. Uga got beat because for the first time all year, they actually played a tough team who’s gotten better and better as the year went on and paid the consequences.
Now that’s an interesting argument. I would agree that UGA wasn’t tested much this year. Their best wins were home games against Mizzou and Ole Miss. You can’t really say Bama got better and better as the year went on though. That lucky clunker against Auburn was just over a week ago.

I can in a simple phrase...strength of schedule, but you are going to argue anyway that fsu is undefeated even though they didn't play anyone outside of lsu. It would be a waste of time to discuss it with you because you aren't being objective. Georgia will curb stomp them and you will still make excuses for fsu, but just a lot more quietly because you will still have your hatred for uga and bama that blind you.
That’s a whole lot of assumptions and all of them incorrect so whatever. You don’t want to discuss and that’s fine with me.

FSU beat LSU in Orlando on a Sunday night Labor Day weekend. Not exactly Death Valley at night.
Fair. You’re right and I was wrong on that. I don’t know why I thought that game was at LSU but it clearly wasn’t. Still a good win but not the same as Death Valley at all.

You know fsu is going to get beat and beat bad.....and you know your argument won't have any substance when they do, but you want to make the argument now because you have an agenda. I learned a long time ago not to waste time arguing with biased people. I'll just let the game prove it to you...or prove it to everyone else if you refuse to accept it. I could say things like the committee is looking at the fact that fsu sos is 55th in the nation, while bama's is 4th, but you aren't going to accept that because you are only considering your dislike of bama and uga. No unbiased person, who knows football, believes fsu is anywhere near as good as bama or uga.
Again with the assumptions. Good grief, do you just assume everything in life? You clearly know everything so why not right? DA.

lmao, did you see the reaction of the Michigan players after they figured out they are playing Alabama? They dont want that smoke. Bama might boat race them.....again.
I suspect Michigan is a good but not great team. The great news is we will find out. I think Bama wins by 2 scores.

That’s a whole lot of assumptions and all of them incorrect so whatever. You don’t want to discuss and that’s fine with me.
Tell you what....how about we discuss it at halftime of the Orange bowl. Anybody that has input.

Tell you what....how about we discuss it at halftime of the Orange bowl. Anybody that has input.
I’m not even sure what you’re arguing about anymore. The UGA FSU won’t tell us squat about the committee’s decision, no matter who wins. The bottom line is the committee inconsistently applied their standard to get the games they thought would be the best. Is Bama better than FSU right now? Probably. I think they are but I also thought Oregon would beat Washington.

I find it interesting that the same people complaining about an undefeated power 5 team being left out for a 1 loss SEC team are basically making the argument for the SEC getting priority they just don’t realize it. Why are we separating the power 5 from non power 5 like liberty? Could it be conference strength aka the same reason the committee made sure to get an SEC team in since they have dominated?

VN Store

Back