College Basketball Rankings?

vol_in_ga

Vols Deep
Can someone educate me on college basketball rankings? I find I don’t really understand how they are ranked the way they are. Like watching #6 Kansas losing by 20 against unranked Texas tech and their records differ by a game and a half. I see this pretty routinely in college basketball. Now granted I don’t know their SOS, or adjusted efficiency ratings (via kenpom?), which are the only metrics I’m really aware of, but just trying to figure out what factors most into a teams ranking as I can’t seem to understand college basketball, vs college football seems more straightforward (and with a smaller sample size to boot).

Can someone educate me on college basketball rankings? I find I don’t really understand how they are ranked the way they are. Like watching #6 Kansas losing by 20 against unranked Texas tech and their records differ by a game and a half. I see this pretty routinely in college basketball. Now granted I don’t know their SOS, or adjusted efficiency ratings (via kenpom?), which are the only metrics I’m really aware of, but just trying to figure out what factors most into a teams ranking as I can’t seem to understand college basketball, vs college football seems more straightforward (and with a smaller sample size to boot).
They’re just a popularity contest.

Reactions: CAVPUT
You mention CFB, but that’s the same thing, you see plenty of teams with similar records or even a better record ranked lower than a comparable record team. SOS is the biggest factor, Kansas’ is much better than TTU. Also matters who you beat/lost to and where, it’s not just how many wins and losses overall.

Strength of schedule and metrics such as offense and defensive efficiency. Bias figures in too. Some programs lile Kansas and Duke drop less after a loss because of the names on their jerseys.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
A lot of it has to do with resumes. Stacking up wins against bad competition isn't gonna get too much AP respect. Playing good teams, and even losing a couple, is what impresses the voters

VN Store

Back