College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

Maybe a controversial take, but is it possible someone like Skenes could take Burns' spot in the rotation? Not knocking Burns in anyway, but I've heard he's projected as a bullpen arm at the next level. Assuming Skenes has more pitches in his repertoire, could he come in and push Burns to a bullpen arm? Just a thought. Please don't attack, lol.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
He helps fill the hole, with perhaps some Jarad Dickey, and an improved hitting Charlie Taylor. Plus, there is one additional catcher on the roster who may have redshirted this year.

The case of Paul Skenes is a challenge. He could perhaps be the weekend catcher. However, I do understand that he wants to pitch. Unfortunately, CTV certainly can't guarantee a weekend starting spot. We have three better, and perhaps four if Seth can improve control.

Skenes could pitch some relief, perhaps be a closer, start some weekday games, would be in mix if an injury occurs, or someone needs a weekend off. We do have considerable innings to be filled with Ben, Mark, Red, Cam, etc departing.

But, Paul does have good bat flip so perhaps he wants to play for the best team in the country.

One part about it....the MLB scouts will find him. Even if he is getting them out in mid-innings, they will see his stuff. As a Vol, he is sure to get considerable PR. Plus, Frank Anderson will improve his pitching skill set.
I wonder if he would be willing to compete for our closer role?

Maybe a controversial take, but is it possible someone like Skenes could take Burns' spot in the rotation? Not knocking Burns in anyway, but I've heard he's projected as a bullpen arm at the next level. Assuming Skenes has more pitches in his repertoire, could he come in and push Burns to a bullpen arm? Just a thought. Please don't attack, lol.

Burns only showed two pitches last season to my knowledge - a fastball and a breaking pitch. He needs a third to develop into a starter. I would think it's way too early to project him as either a starter or bullpen guy in the pros. He's only a rising college sophomore. He has plenty of time develop whatever pitches he needs to be a starter going forward. Just a question of whether he can do that or not.

And how much do we know about Skenes pitching ability? His stats from last year are good. But they came against lesser competition than the SEC. I'm wondering if he would be willing to complete with our pitchers to earn a spot either as reliever or starter - possibly midweek starter or right handed closer/reliever, or if he is holding out for a promised weekend starting role.

I’m thinking he’ll be somewhere around the 5 or 6 hole in the lineup, what you think Mookie? Suddenly this lineup has some more pop than I was thinking with he, Backus (maybe) and Alexander. Good mix/balance.
Agree. He stole no bases last year, so he doesn't have speed, and his stirkeout ratio was almost 30% of his AB's. So those two things together would probably keep him down in the order, providing some protection for the 5 or 6 hitter. (I'm guessing Backus/Burke will be 4/5 or 5/4. He has been playing in a stadium the size of LNS, so I wouldn't expect his home run numbers to go up, unless he makes tremendous progress as a hitter this season, which would be great, obviously. This is a really great pickup, a terrific bat and a defensive upgrade. And I especially like that he is a switch hitter.

I’m thinking he’ll be somewhere around the 5 or 6 hole in the lineup, what you think Mookie? Suddenly this lineup has some more pop than I was thinking with he, Backus (maybe) and Alexander. Good mix/balance.

I remain convinced Lawson will be gone, so operating under that assumption here is how I see the lineup breaking down by SEC play starting. This is also contingent on a few things. I think Ortega will come back, but if that changes slide Moore into his position.

CF Seth Stephenson
SS Maui Ahuna
LF Jared Dickey
1B Blake Burke
2B Jorel Ortega
3B Zane Denton
RF Colby Backus
DH Christian Moore
C Jackson Alexander

The tough part IMO is I’m not sure where to put Seth. I think Ahuna is more likely to lead-off. He has power, speed, hits for average, hits to all parts of the field, etc. But, I don’t think you move Seth all the way down to 7-9 so I guess I’ll keep him as leadoff right now.

I remain convinced Lawson will be gone, so operating under that assumption here is how I see the lineup breaking down by SEC play starting. This is also contingent on a few things. I think Ortega will come back, but if that changes slide Moore into his position.

CF Seth Stephenson
SS Maui Ahuna
LF Jared Dickey
1B Blake Burke
2B Jorel Ortega
3B Zane Denton
RF Colby Backus
DH Christian Moore
C Jackson Alexander

The tough part IMO is I’m not sure where to put Seth. I think Ahuna is more likely to lead-off. He has power, speed, hits for average, hits to all parts of the field, etc. But, I don’t think you move Seth all the way down to 7-9 so I guess I’ll keep him as leadoff right now.
That’s potentially a hell of a bottom 4 right there 👀💯

CF Seth Stephenson
SS Maui Ahuna
LF Jared Dickey
1B Blake Burke
2B Jorel Ortega
3B Zane Denton
RF Colby Backus
DH Christian Moore
C Jackson Alexander

Yep I think that’s pretty spot-on given what we know currently. There are no breaks in that lineup. Plenty of RBI opportunities to go around, especially for the 4-6 guys.

CF Seth Stephenson
SS Maui Ahuna
LF Jared Dickey
1B Blake Burke
2B Jorel Ortega
3B Zane Denton
RF Colby Backus
DH Christian Moore
C Jackson Alexander

Seth has speed. And, he makes good contact.

Buuuuuuutttt, unless they give him a take sign (very rare), he can hit most anything thrown up there. From a cricket bounce, to his eyes. Therefore, you do miss out on the traditional leadoff hitter watching 4-5 pitches like Spence did in 2021.

Not saying that is good or bad....

CF Seth Stephenson
SS Maui Ahuna
LF Jared Dickey
1B Blake Burke
2B Jorel Ortega
3B Zane Denton
RF Colby Backus
DH Christian Moore
C Jackson Alexander

This looks really good to me. This lineup would produce a lot of runs . Really like Dickey hitting 3rd. Always wanted my best hitter in that position.

Burns only showed two pitches last season to my knowledge - a fastball and a breaking pitch. He needs a third to develop into a starter. I would think it's way too early to project him as either a starter or bullpen guy in the pros. He's only a rising college sophomore. He has plenty of time develop whatever pitches he needs to be a starter going forward. Just a question of whether he can do that or not.

And how much do we know about Skenes pitching ability? His stats from last year are good. But they came against lesser competition than the SEC. I'm wondering if he would be willing to complete with our pitchers to earn a spot either as reliever or starter - possibly midweek starter or right handed closer/reliever, or if he is holding out for a promised weekend starting role.

As a Freshman, Skenes hit .410 with 11 HRs as a catcher but came out of the bullpen for 11 Saves (30 K/26 IP). Four pitches with 95-98 mph fastball as a Sophomore. I’d say it depends on if he WANTS to catch as well as if he NEEDS to pitch (better $$$ as projected RHP in draft). Would love to see him used as a Swiss army knife!

Anyone know if any notable pitchers from Campbell ever entered the portal? They had a few guys who faced us who I thought "Hmm, I wonder if they'll be interested in transferring here after playing against us like Dollander did after he played against us."

VN Store

Back