College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

Skenes is also a pitcher. Is he a starter or reliever? Wonder what his preference is? We do have a pretty special pitching coach that one would assume to be a major plus.

Skenes is a starter, and we have our rotation already set. Feels like we’ve probably moved on a bit from Skenes sincs the momentum has cooled off. Sad.

With this news today, I wonder if the Skenes/Dickey situation is what @LA Vol might've been referencing the other day in the recruiting forum. Dickey is intent on playing C, so it makes it a sticky situation to try and bring in Skenes

Let me walk that back a bit. I asked his mom if he would like to be the weekend catcher next year. She said that he would.

Whether he has those defensive skills.........no idea.

If not, he can definitely play left field. And, he can HIIIIIIIITTTT!!!

I don't think Danny White has anything to do with NIL. It is individual Vol Supporters. I know LSU has put together a large group of LSU faithful baseball guys who have a sum of millions, I'm told, that are available for NIL deals. I would say none of our players have gotten enough to buy a car yet much less pay for their schooling unless there is something going on I'm not seeing. The NIL will allow the schools that love their baseball to get kids, especially proven kids out of the transfer portal and bring them all together with salaries (NIL deals). I willing to bet that some college comes up with the money to allow their coach to go get the top 20 players in the nation and put them together to buy a Natty.
Good point. I think UT baseball “woke up“ some of the legacy tradition rich baseball powers that they need to “step it up” before they get lapped by the “hot shot newcomer”. Larry Pratt ear marked $5M towards baseball but assume it was for the facilities. We need some deep pocket boosters earmarking $$$ for NIL baseball. I trust CTV and the staff to balance recruiting the Uber talent in the portal with the right fit to preserve the culture. I trust we won’t recruit any “me first” primadonnas and stick to the formula of high character kids who put the team first.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yep. I'd bet the farm that Tony V knew tanks decision and he moved on. Makes Dentons contact make perfect sense. Vitellli is on record saying we'd take 2-3 if they were the right guys for our program. His focus has and should be HS players. Transfers fill the gap. Ain't building a program with em.
Well said. Fit is so important.

He is not. He will be back next year with Crews and now White. LSU could be the pre-season favorite. Their pitching will determine that though. It leaves a bit to be desired at the moment, but Little certainly helps.
LSU just lost their pitching coach this week to Washington so it’s odd that a top pitcher commits there without a replacement; unless it just hasn’t been announced.

Skenes hit .410 with 11 HRs while catching/DH and came out of the bullpen for 11 Saves/2.70 ERA as a freshman. Coach Kaz made him the Friday starter as a sophomore and he was catcher/DH with a few games at 1B when not pitching. Being a starter might not be a requirement

2x All-American, John Olerud Award winner. However, I assume he’ll be drafted as RHP so may lean towards a program needing starters. Would love to see him catch UT’s 2023 starters. I personally think he ends up at Texas A&M…hope I’m wrong.

Unless we have a hole in our roster that can't be filled from within, I'm for going with the kids we've signed who've been waiting their turn if they're ready. Builds trust and relationships that strengthen the program.

I’m sure Vitello isn’t going to break trust with any of his guys. If he brings someone in there is a reason. Waiting your turn is nice, but you still have to earn the spot. I don’t think TV will necessarily intentionally look to recruit over guys through the portal, but if he doesn’t think you’re ready to be an every day player that can help us win a championship he shouldn’t feel bad for using the portal. After all, his job is to win. He should do what he feels gives him the best chance to win.

I really don’t believe the NIL had much of an impact with either LSU transfer. Jay Johnson is a top-tier recruiter on his own, and LSU is a premier place to play. Depending on your age, LSU > MSU/Vandy/SC/UT (as of late) even when considering the last 5-10 years.

Personally, I’d be shocked if baseball players get 6 figure deals, and even more shocked if a player picked a school for NIL money.

Baseball is much more about fit (edit: on the field and with the staff) than anything else since the game revolves around failure.

Last edited:
He is not. He will be back next year with Crews and now White. LSU could be the pre-season favorite. Their pitching will determine that though. It leaves a bit to be desired at the moment, but Little certainly helps.
I would not mind having someone else be the lead horse to start the season. Hope we're not even in the top 10. Let someone else carry the target.

I’m sure Vitello isn’t going to break trust with any of his guys. If he brings someone in there is a reason. Waiting your turn is nice, but you still have to earn the spot. I don’t think TV will necessarily intentionally look to recruit over guys through the portal, but if he doesn’t think you’re ready to be an every day player that can help us win a championship he shouldn’t feel bad for using the portal. After all, his job is to win. He should do what he feels gives him the best chance to win.
We don't disagree at all.

Obertop is an outstanding catcher. Would love to get him, but I’d be surprised if he’s not drafted. Kinda odd that he’s in the portal.

Don’t know about the other Michigan guys or if UT would be interested. They had a pretty good team.
Hit .278 w/ 15 HRs and 54 RBIs. OBP above .400….

Obertop is an outstanding catcher. Would love to get him, but I’d be surprised if he’s not drafted. Kinda odd that he’s in the portal.

Don’t know about the other Michigan guys or if UT would be interested. They had a pretty good team.
Some of those guys may stay at Michigan. After a head coach leaves and there’s uncertainty, going into the portal gives a guy options; they can also stay with the program if they like the new head coach and the new head coach wants them. Tulane’s head coach was let go, guys entered the portal, some left, but some in the portal changed their minds and stayed after the new guy was hired:

Unless we have a hole in our roster that can't be filled from within, I'm for going with the kids we've signed who've been waiting their turn if they're ready. Builds trust and relationships that strengthen the program.

100%

In interviews, Coach Vitello has said, "Our roster is pretty well set. We will take no more than 2-3 players from the portal. Maybe 4 if the right players are available." I think Coach Vitello wanted an elite SS and catcher. We have the SS. Now let's see about Skenes as a catcher.

White and Skenes were always long shots to me. You would be in deNIaL if you thought the only thing Tommy White was looking for was playing time and Skenes is giving up a guaranteed military career with significant benefit$ (salary) while getting a prestigious degree from the AF Academy. We may not have even been close... on what he will be promised.

My advice to everyone is trust Coach Vitello. We have had the best college baseball program in America for the last three years. No reason to believe that is in danger.

Last edited:
100%

In interviews, Coach Vitello has said, "Our roster is pretty well set. We will take no more than 2-3 players from the portal. Maybe 4 if the right players are available." I think Coach Vitello wanted an elite SS and catcher. We have the SS. Now let's see about Skenes as a catcher.

White and Skenes were always long shots to me. You woul be in deNIaL if you thought the only thing Tommy White was looking for was playing time and Skenes is giving up a guaranteed military career with significant benefit$ (salary) while getting a prestigious degree from the AF Academy. We may not have even been close... on what he will be promised.

My advice to everyone is trust Coach Vitello. We have had the best college baseball program in America for the last three years. No reason to believe that is in danger.

To be fair, Skenes isn’t giving up his military career and benefits because he wants to chase NIL. He is doing so because he is now seen as a consensus Top 20 pick in next year’s draft.

Red Sox drafted a pitcher, Noah Song, in the first few rounds a couple years back out of the Naval Academy. He has still yet to pitch at all and might never pitch in the majors due to his commitment to the academy. Honestly, it was a waste of a pick.

Personally, I think the academies need to allow you to defer your commitment till after your major league career is over. It feels rather harmless, IMO. There will always be jobs to be done for 35-45 year old men, so it’s not like they absolutely have to have people under 30. I’d like to see more kids that want to play get to play.

@TheMookieMonster All excellent points. Perhaps I am not being clear enough. Skenes is giving up two years of a four year...all expenses paid prestigious college degree. In addition, while attending the AF Academy he is receiving a generous stipend each month. That degree will lead to a 30 year career, if he wants it with lifetime medical care and generous retirement benefits.

The Academies' have addressed the issue of great atheletes and their service commitment. They are allowed to serve their five year committment in an active reserve unit after some time on active duty. In other words, one weekend a month if not deployed while in the reserves.

Tennesse was probably able to offer Paul a partial scholarship, which may have been a shock for him. As Preacherman has told us ...our baseball NIL opportunities are currently in the hundreds not thousands realm.

Not saying Skenes is only interested in NIL. But he is young, and is giving up a career path for some uncertainty (always one pitch away from not making the show). He has some big decisions to make.

Last edited:
100%

White and Skenes were always long shots to me. You woul be in deNIaL if you thought the only thing Tommy White was looking for was playing time and Skenes is giving up a guaranteed military career with significant benefit$ (salary) while getting a prestigious degree from the AF Academy. We may not have even been close... on what he will be promised.

Those are great points. We are too stacked to be bringing in too many high profile transfers. A couple, with the usual freshman class, should be fine. We do not want to mess up the team chemistry which is outstanding. If he returns, Cortland very well could be a third base whiz. And, if Jorel departs, Christian Moore certainly looks the part of an outstanding second baseman.

I really don’t believe the NIL had much of an impact with either LSU transfer. Jay Johnson is a top-tier recruiter on his own, and LSU is a premier place to play. Depending on your age, LSU > MSU/Vandy/SC/UT (as of late) even when considering the last 5-10 years.

Personally, I’d be shocked if baseball players get 6 figure deals, and even more shocked if a player picked a school for NIL money.

Baseball is much more about fit (edit: on the field and with the staff) than anything else since the game revolves around failure.

This makes sense, but there is an old saying that trumps it: Money talks and everything else walks. LSU has a LOT of money, a very aggressive AD, and a burning desire to get back to championship status.

All excellent points. Perhaps I am not being clear enough. Skenes is giving up two years of a four year all expenses paid prestigious college degree. That degree will lead to a 30 year career if he wants it with lifetime medical care and generousvretirement

True, but he has a $9M arm hanging off the right side of his body.

Skenes is an incredible young man who represents USAFA extremely well. He’s arguably the most talented athlete to ever walk the halls at AFA (including Chad Hennings), so it’s disappointing the Air Force isn’t leveraging this one-off opportunity to recruit the next generation.

Selfishly, I’d love for him to stay at Air Force but he’d have to follow the Griffin Jax model (Class of 2017). Drafted 3rd round after his Jr year then had to sit out his senior. Spent a year on Active Duty before being picked up for AF World Class Athlete program to train for Olympics and play minor league ball full time ( counted towards 5 year Active Duty commitment). Too much chance left to outside influence, so I don’t see this as a viable option.

Those are great points. We are too stacked to be bringing in too many high profile transfers. A couple, with the usual freshman class, should be fine. We do not want to mess up the team chemistry which is outstanding. If he returns, Cortland very well could be a third base whiz. And, if Jorel departs, Christian Moore certainly looks the part of an outstanding second baseman.

We aren't stacked at catcher, as far as I know, and there is no certain third baseman on the roster as far as I know. And we could use a couple more right handed bats, IMO.

VN Store

Back