Coaching

Marta Suarez will stop the uncontested layups if given the assignment.
uhhh...no. Not against slippery, low to the ground, quick and fast point guards. She had an opportunity to shine in that role at LSU. She will get better but wasn't there Sunday.

uhhh...no. Not against slippery, low to the ground, quick and fast point guards. She had an opportunity to shine in that role at LSU. She will get better but wasn't there Sunday.

Marta is learning a hard lesson,,,BB in the USA v BB on Europe,,,refs, calls, environment,,,everything is different

Welcome to the SEC Marta Holdsclaw...

Marta is very strong and has played the slam bang European style ball that doesn't allow slippery, low to ground, quick and fast point guards
an open path time after time for easy baskets. Doesn't seem anyone else wants to stop the domination. She should at least be allowed to try.

Pat gave tough love. The vogue among coaches now is to give soft love. However Pat didn't have the problem of players switching schools so readily. In fact coaches might as well go ahead and establish first and second teams. The best players will leave for too much bench time and losses for being benched.

Coaching...

So the staff took a 15-point lead and then coached the team to commit horrible turnovers, jog and play lazily, miss easy shots, make poor decisions, commit silly fouls, not box out, etc?

Wow. I'm impressed. It takes a superhuman level of mind control to turn players with talent into incompetent athletes instantaneously. I have never seen someone coach a good team down in one quarter.

Now, there's no question that this was a poorly-coached game by Kellie. Tolerance for lazy, careless, sloppy, and indifferent play, refusal to use time outs, poor substitutions, poor play-calling...all just inexcusable. But to blame the players' ineptitude and lack of pride on coaching is absurd.

We have all played backyard, driveway, or cow pasture ball games in which we regularly gave 100% and tried our best. We didn't need coaches to hold our hands or think for us so we could make a layup ot catch a pass. It's called love of competition. By this point, the experienced athletes should be able to execute at a high level and not make elementary school mistakes without a pep talk, threats, or cajoling from the coaches.

This was a team loss from top to bottom. Maybe it will shake up the lineup for Alabama. And maybe Kellie will demonstrate that she will use all the in-game coaching tool available to her instead of leaving the team to flounder.

Last edited:
Pat could give tough love because she had a deep bench. Same with Barnes - you make a lazy pass, you're going to sit. And the guy he put in is just as good.

Kellie doesn't have a very good bench. There is no penalty for starters who don't give max effort or make bonehead plays - are you going to put Rennie in for Davis? And there are a LOT of bonehead plays, and there doesn't seem to be all that much max effort.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Pat could give tough love because she had a deep bench. Same with Barnes - you make a lazy pass, you're going to sit. And the guy he put in is just as good.

Kellie doesn't have a very good bench. There is no penalty for starters who don't give max effort or make bonehead plays - are you going to put Rennie in for Davis? And there are a LOT of bonehead plays, and there doesn't seem to be all that much max effort.
The penalty will start tomorrow at practice. Rae seemed just completely lost all game. To me that was the difference. And if Key doesn't want to play basketball, she should sit,plain and simple...

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Except when the pressure was on.Even peck said Key doesn't want the ball. Not grabbing that rebound at the end hurt as well..She's the biggest player on the floor!!!
i do agree there were spurts where key wasn’t calling for the ball or getting great position but she played her best game in a while tonight. if she can get tougher, she will be pretty good imo.

The penalty will start tomorrow at practice. Rae seemed just completely lost all game. To me that was the difference. And if Key doesn't want to play basketball, she should sit,plain and simple...
Key was an interesting case study. When she decided to make a move, she was unstoppable. Why she wasn't demanding the ball every second she was on the court is baffling. GA had no way to defend her when she was in position.

Key was an interesting case study. When she decided to make a move, she was unstoppable. Why she wasn't demanding the ball every second she was on the court is baffling. GA had no way to defend her when she was in position.
To me, not wanting to get personal,she seems ill,or just not healthy..her motor just dies.

To me, not wanting to get personal,she seems ill,or just not healthy..her motor just dies.
She wasn't a 30 min/game player last season, and she's not one now. Conditioning seems to be a challenge for her, along with consistent effort. The announcers were questioning out loud why she wasn't fighting for position inside the way that KK was.

She wasn't a 30 min/game player last season, and she's not one now. Conditioning seems to be a challenge for her, along with consistent effort. The announcers were questioning out loud why she wasn't fighting for position inside the way that KK was.
Yes. Effort is a big problem.

VN Store

Back