Coaching? Depth? Or Both?

Coaches coach and players make plays.

Unfortunately for us, our defensive players had a hard time with that today. How do you know they are doing what they are coached to do?

I've never seen a defense whose d-line gives up their gap responsibilities and lose contain more than ours. You'll never convince me that they are coached to do this.

Makes one wonder if they watched any film on auburn, if so,the staff didn't "get it". :idea:

If it's up to the players to execute you Think the players where given a good game plan? heck no...

And you know what the defensive game plan was?

I'm completely convinced our d-line and LBs continually don't play their assignments. Way too much freelancing. Watch the game again and you'll see our DE and outside LBs bite on the RB at the mesh point of the read option and their QB just goes outside. QB is then one-on-one with our CBs and he won that battle repeatedly. They're not coached to do that.

And you know what the defensive game plan was?

I'm completely convinced our d-line and LBs continually don't play their assignments. Way too much freelancing. Watch the game again and you'll see our DE and outside LBs bite on the RB at the mesh point of the read option and their QB just goes outside. QB is then one-on-one with our CBs and he won that battle repeatedly. They're not coached to do that.

Maybe youre right. In that case get the damn kids off the field, which they didnt do. Coaching.

Maybe youre right. In that case get the damn kids off the field, which they didnt do. Coaching.

Completely agree with this... The coaches are in control of who is on the field and should play those who can execute the coaches' game plan and scheme. Unfortunately for us right now, that would mean that even less physically talented players would need to be on the field.

Completely agree with this... The coaches are in control of who is on the field and should play those who can execute the coaches' game plan and scheme. Unfortunately for us right now, that would mean that even less physically talented players would need to be on the field.

Exactly. Like i said in the OP, i think its a little of both but in my opinion (which yall dont have to agree with), the scheme sucked. Whether the players followed it or not. We should not have gotten beat by a team running the same play or a variation of it 40+ times.

Im pretty mad about what i just saw. Lets be honest. We just watched Auburn run the read option almost every play and beat us (badly). I understand there are variations of the read option but you can only do so much with it.

So my question is, is our team truly that depleted and have that poor of quality or did Jancek and the defensive coordinators drop the ball on this one?

I personally think its a little of both, but the coaches muffed this one pretty badly. If a pitcher throws a fastball every single time you're gonna start teeing off. If a basketball team runs a pick-and-roll every time youre gonna catch on. You cant just let a team beat you with the same play over and over.

What say you VolNation? Players, coaches, or both?

Both!

"Coaches can coach and scheme all day, but in the end this game comes down to mano e mano. " Inky Johnson earlier in the year. Do you think he saw something in this team that some of us haven't seen.
Obviously we don't have players that can win against their man and get into the wrong position weather it is talent, speed, being beaten down mentally, bad coaching or just flat out being worn out. What it comes down to is having pride in your performance and knowing that you gave 100%. I loved seeing the guy from Oregon crying on the sideline cause his team was losing. It shows pride in his team. This team doesn't seem to have anyone like that. They have come to expect to lose and it shows on the field. NO amount of coaching will fix that!

Im pretty mad about what i just saw. Lets be honest. We just watched Auburn run the read option almost every play and beat us (badly). I understand there are variations of the read option but you can only do so much with it.

So my question is, is our team truly that depleted and have that poor of quality or did Jancek and the defensive coordinators drop the ball on this one?

I personally think its a little of both, but the coaches muffed this one pretty badly. If a pitcher throws a fastball every single time you're gonna start teeing off. If a basketball team runs a pick-and-roll every time youre gonna catch on. You cant just let a team beat you with the same play over and over.

What say you VolNation? Players, coaches, or both?

Both, I say.

VN Store

Back