Coaching Defense

knoxville's finest

After Cal, FL, and Bama ran up the score on the defensive. Everybody wanted changes on the D. Where are the changes?

Defense starts with the D-Line. We had a very young D-Line last year.... depth wise. If you notice the games in question, Cal in particular, we were getting manhandled at the LOS.... running backs hitting the line 3 yards down field are gonna earn L's every time out... I dont care who you are. It all starts there... I dont think any changes need be made... just gain a bit more depth and experience.

I haven't decided if that is a positive or negative. I suppose it will be a positive if DMO has changed his on field work ethic/thinking to match his recent off the field lifestyle.

Especially since he'll have such a good influence at the other S position (I still think Berry might make his final move over to FS).

Especially since he'll have such a good influence at the other S position (I still think Berry might make his final move over to FS).

With D-Mo coming back, I'm curious where Berry will end up.

With D-Mo coming back, I'm curious where Berry will end up.
chavis seems to like his playmakers at S, that's where he will stay imho. I don't think we will have the opportunity of seeing him at corner.

chavis seems to like his playmakers at S, that's where he will stay imho. I don't think we will have the opportunity of seeing him at corner.

Yeah... I agree... I was just curious, seeing as how good Berry played the SS position in '07, if they would even try and make the switch to FS in '08. I wouldnt but I dont make the calls

Yeah... I agree... I was just curious, seeing as how good Berry played the SS position in '07, if they would even try and make the switch to FS in '08. I wouldnt but I dont make the calls
It will probably come down to spring and who learns/works the defense the best.

It may not be so much about Berry as it is about DMo. If DMo is a better fit at SS than FS, then I have full confidence that Berry will be a dominant player, no matter where he is on the Secondary.

It may not be so much about Berry as it is about DMo. If DMo is a better fit at SS than FS, then I have full confidence that Berry will be a dominant player, no matter where he is on the Secondary.

I think with his tackling abilities and his hard hitting abilities he is better off at stong safety.. i guess

I'll agree that DMO is the wild card, it feels like you could throw berry in the Petros stand and he would still find a way to make plays

I think with his tackling abilities and his hard hitting abilities he is better off at stong safety.. i guess

Well, it's his unique ability to lay down the law on a hit but also his speed/coverage that would give him more of a nod at FS. From what I remember of DMo is that he could hit, but wasn't great at coverage. Maybe that's changed, as it's been said about 1000000 times on here in the last week... I guess we'll see.

I'll agree that DMO is the wild card, it feels like you could throw berry in the Petros stand and he would still find a way to make plays

That's exactly how I feel.

"Tebow rolls out of the pocket... throws the ball deep... OH MY HERE'S BERRY... COMING DOWN FROM THE STANDS WITH A PETRO AND INTERCEPTS THE BALL!!" /imagination

He really probably could.

That's exactly how I feel.

"Tebow rolls out of the pocket... throws the ball deep... OH MY HERE'S BERRY... COMING DOWN FROM THE STANDS WITH A PETRO AND INTERCEPTS THE BALL!!" /imagination

He really probably could.
wait a second....tebow rolls out and throws it??? That's the most unbelievable part of this scenario.

I have a feeling they are going to be throwing it where Eric Berry isnt next year... which means D-Mo better be ready.

I have a feeling they are going to be throwing it where Eric Berry isnt next year... which means D-Mo better be ready.

But the thing is at Berry's speed... the guy can be all over the field. So realistically, I don't think it'll matter. Playmakers always find a way to be in the play, no matter where.

For reference, look at Vanden Bosch. The guy was making tackles 10 yards off the LOS. Unbelievable.

D-mo moving around on the LOS and The Phenom playing Center field!!!

DMO's maturity will have a lot to say in how well our secondary plays next year imho.

I think DMo will get the same chances that Parrish got. If he doesn't do well, I think that maybe Wardlow may get in there. Also, we can't forget about Wardlow from the get-go. He may outplay DMo in the spring and get the start.

DMO's maturity will have a lot to say in how well our secondary plays next year imho.

With Vinson back there and someone else (Willingham, Kemp, etc.), we have a solid secondary... LBs will be fine even with Mayo leaving... only question mark is on the D-Line.... can they continue to get better and more to the point become a bit deeper so they don't wear as the game/season progresses.

With Vinson back there and someone else (Willingham, Kemp, etc.), we have a solid secondary... LBs will be fine even with Mayo leaving... only question mark is on the D-Line.... can they continue to get better and more to the point become a bit deeper so they don't wear as the game/season progresses.
I don't get this. Our secondary got better over the season, but solid is a huge leap. Calling our corners at the end of the season marginal would have been a stretch. They have some talent and will likely get better with seasoning, but we're miles from solid.

VN Store

Back