Coaches who career we ended

If Dabo doesn’t get back into the championship game before Saban retires I think he would jump at the chance to go to Tuscaloosa. And I think he would disappoint because 10 win seasons with no championships aren’t what the Bama crowd expects.
I think Dabo would be a 21st Century Ray Perkins or Bill Curry at Alabama. He would win but not enough. Can you imagine all the players that will transfer out if Nick Saban retires? Imagine the heat on Dabo if the first season at Alabama they went 9-3?

Doug Barfield - I always thought that after we beat them 42-0 in Auburn the powers to be at Auburn knew they were gonna fire him so they started looking for a new coach. Similar to how the Bama AD decided to get rid of Shula after we beat them in mid season.

Doug Barfield

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Doug Barfield - I always thought that after we beat them 42-0 in Auburn the powers to be at Auburn knew they were gonna fire him so they started looking for a new coach. Similar to how the Bama AD decided to get rid of Shula after we beat them in mid season.

Doug Barfield
I remember reading that the guy who told Doug that he was fired was former GT head coach Pepper Rodgers.

Spurrier = Can't spell quit without UT

I love it when VOL fans realize that UT gave it to him right in the 2 hole not once, but twice.

LOL, that will probably get edited, but say it isn't so.

The sot Spurrier was over rated in the past, he is now, and certainly will be into the future as far as I can see.

just some random thoughts.....

It may trigger the crowd here, but ...
I don't want James Franklin to coach Alabama.
It is a perfect spot for him, and his arrogance is sometimes justified.

He won big at Vanderbilt. He would be a nightmare at BAMA.

Last edited:
Dude is 70 and got nothing to prove. His team this year is uncharacteristically sloppy and vulnerable on the road. Saban is slipping and everyone can see it. He might be able to right the ship, and he might not. But I don't see him starting over somewhere else.h, but I'm guessing it's less than 5.[/QUOE] This may be a down year for Bama, but I also see other teams just upping their game. The transfer portal allows teams to assemble a good team faster than the old days. And it also makes it harder for top tiered teams like Bama to sandbag recruits cause they'd rather play than ride the bench till they get a shot at starting.

I think Dabo would be a 21st Century Ray Perkins or Bill Curry at Alabama. He would win but not enough. Can you imagine all the players that will transfer out if Nick Saban retires? Imagine the heat on Dabo if the first season at Alabama they went 9-3?
I don't know about all these players transferring out... apparently he's a dick and doesn't care about player safety....🤭and Dabo has God on his side....so who knows what would happen.
Alabama should get ready for 9-3....it's coming.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Exactly, and that throws huge wrench in Saban's recruiting strategy. If the SEC goes to playing everyone every other year, it's just going to get harder too. I think his window for going out of top is closing fast.

I think James Franklin,Jim Harbaugh and Ryan Day would be candidates also. But i really do think Dabo could leave for Alabama possibly thinking he's hit the ceiling at Clemson.
He probably has, but that ceiling is pretty high and the SEC is a meat grinder. I don't see the draw to leaving a title contender you built to live in Saban's shadow, Alma Mater or not.

I could just see Franklin doing it though. Him and Kiffin are the only two people that would make me hate Bama more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
Kiffin is too smart this time. He'll let somebody else bomb out at Bama after Saban and then accept their offer.
Well you ruined it by saying it out loud here. Now he definitely won’t take it. Wait, are you Lane?

Dude is 70 and got nothing to prove. His team this year is uncharacteristically sloppy and vulnerable on the road. Saban is slipping and everyone can see it. He might be able to right the ship, and he might not. But I don't see him starting over somewhere else.

His next title will be is last, if there is one. If Kiffin beats him this year, I could see him hanging it up. Conference realignment and the NIL don't appear to suit him. I don't know how many more seasons he'll want to coach, but I'm guessing it's less than 5.
While I agree I think if Saban wins another he always thinks there’s the next one. It has to be no fun for him any more. Think he needs another L this year then another not so Bama year next year to get the clock ticking. Slate coming up for Bama is no slam dunk. There’s teams who all want to beat them almost as much as we did…blood in the water with a road map to follow.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
While I agree I think if Saban wins another he always thinks there’s the next one. It has to be no fun for him any more. Think he needs another L this year then another not so Bama year next year to get the clock ticking. Slate coming up for Bama is no slam dunk. There’s teams who all want to beat them almost as much as we did…blood in the water with a road map to follow.
You may be right about his thought process. He'd be wrong though. Time is undefeated, and the game is changing. A new coordinator won't do it this time. Blood in the water indeed.

VN Store

Back