Coachery

I would have to disagree based solely on the fact that nothing has leaked. If it’s a big name, no way this is kept secret for going on 6 hours now.
Not questioning SF (I've been following this thread from the beginning and he's been to spot on to be coincidence or guess), but I'd be surprised if any hire was made by 2:30 today and nothing has leaked whether it's a big name, back-up or way down list. Just doesn't seem to happen in today's day and age. If so, I've really gotta hand it to AD White for running such a tight ship.

We can never hire another coach from LA Tech, Cincinnati or Alabama. Can’t hire a coach that uses motivational catch phrases. Gotta stay away from coaches under 35, Coaches who are the sons of coaching legends and especially coordinators.
Sounds like I'm the guy then!

How does the other side operate? Do they not have boosters, other coaches, fans, administration?

What big name did he land there? Sorry, but landing an assistant likes Heupel at a place like UCF is easy to keep this quiet.

The silence is informative. Either our targets guys off the beat (not coaching), a guy like Campbell who has no agent and where there aren’t powerful boosters, or an assistant. Or no one has agreed.
UCF is no where near the job UT is...your not gonna land a big time hire there period

Holy crap, I take the dog out to poop, talk to multiple neighbors and their dogs, cook dinner for the family (they wouldn't let me get back on here) and all I see is that we either hired Bigfoot, Mark Campbell or a family wearing kilts.
They weren't really family just the coaching staff.

Reactions: ER Vol
Signing day is approaching and we are losing players by the hour. If we really have a guy, there’s simply no reason to not announce as soon as possible. Tomorrow afternoon at the latest. Otherwise, it’s hard to believe we have a guy.

Not questioning SF (I've been following this thread from the beginning and he's been to spot on to be coincidence or guess), but I'd be surprised if any hire was made by 2:30 today and nothing has leaked whether it's a big name, back-up or way down list. Just doesn't seem to happen in today's day and age. If so, I've really gotta hand it to AD White for running such a tight ship.
That’s where I’m at too. So either his source is misinformed this time, because he has been spot on throughout, or the 2:30 hire is someone we just aren’t hearing from because they’re not a big name or they come from a school with a smaller press pool.

Reactions: jmay8
But wouldn’t you think, if it’s a Franklin or Campbell type hire, then their respective schools would be the ones leaking things? I get DW keeping it close, but that doesn’t mean ISU or PSU have to follow suit. Whereas if it’s a smaller school or a lower tier candidate, there just might not be that large of a press core around him.
Campbell doesn’t have an agent. It would be basically White, Campbell and his wife, ISU AD, and a ISU booster or two if the ISU AD tries to counter. They may not if the offer is $7 million.

That’s where I’m at too. So either his source is misinformed this time, because he has been spot on throughout, or the 2:30 hire is someone we just aren’t hearing from because they’re not a big name or they come from a school with a smaller press pool.

I don't disagree but he may want the new coach to address his team or our football players before making it official. They may not have had that opportunity yet

Reactions: USF grad in TN
Since you’re manning up, I’ll present this as more of an “encouragement” post than an argument...if it is Elliott.

Here are some coordinators who got their first head coaching job at big time programs and succeeded:

Bob Stoops-Oklahoma
Kirby Smart-Georgia
Mark Richt-Georgia
Phillip Fulmer-Tennessee
Chip Kelly-Oregon
Jimbo Fisher-Florida State
Dabo Swinney-Clemson (actually was just a WR coach)
Ryan Day-Ohio State
Lincoln Riley-Oklahoma
David Shaw-Stanford

So you see, there are actually more hires that turned out successfully in recent years from the assistant coaching ranks than from head coaching ranks. Or so it seems.

I agree with you that my preference is a proven head coach. But if we couldn’t land that, I’m going to trust White and his track record. There is plenty of precedent to believe that Elliott could get the job done. Not that he’s guaranteed to...but that he could.
I'd say Smart, Fulmer, Day, Riley and Shaw all followed guys who righted the ship before they got there. To a lesser extent Richt and Kelly fall in the same boat, meaning that Donnan repaired a lot of Goff's damage and Bellotti repaired a lot of Brooks'. Fisher was a head coach in waiting, which may or may not mean anything other than Elliott isn't. Stoops and Swinney are pretty much it as far as doing anything more than taking a good program one step up the ladder and Clemson was never anywhere near as bad as we are under Tommy Bowden. If you're looking for an example of a coordinator turning around a P5 program that was in the crapper when he started, Bob Stoops is the only one I can come up with. If we get Elliott, we see what he can do and hope for he best but history is not on our side.

Reactions: memtownvol
Or they don't come from a school at all.

Reactions: 4chrissy
Holy crap, I take the dog out to poop, talk to multiple neighbors and their dogs, cook dinner for the family (they wouldn't let me get back on here) and all I see is that we either hired Bigfoot, Mark Campbell or a family wearing kilts.
Should be a heck of a coaching staff!

It's already the next day... didn't think I would have to tell you that but we are the volnation forum.
Here is your first problem: By Tomorrow means by the end of tomorrow - meaning end of tonight now. And having a Coach doesn’t mean it necessarily has to be announced yet. I don’t think White is worries about SF timeline. If he meant midnight last night he would have said BEFORE tomorrow. The English language is so confusing but as you said - you are in VN.....

Last edited:
Even if the AD does an exceptional job of keeping this low key were only one side of the deal, I figure if some coach lets his current AD and players know he's leaving it has to leak from a player on Twitter or something right?

Reactions: Perspective
Guys, no need to worry and speculate, just know that Donde Plowman is going to bring a man of deep integrity to Knoxville. Someone to really foster and nurture these fine young men’s character. Wins and losses always come second here at UT. We don’t want to win with a guy like Hugh Freeze. We need to be righteous in the cellar of our division with Vandy.

UCF is no where near the job UT is...your not gonna land a big time hire there period
No ****. So UCF claiming that’s how he operates is silly- this is his first rodeo.

I think he’s capable of the silence, but I’m not pointing to his experience at UCF as demonstrating anything. Much easier to keep things quiet at that G5 whilst hiring a OC

Even if the AD does an exceptional job of keeping this low key were only one side of the deal, I figure if some coach lets his current AD and players know he's leaving it has to leak from a player on Twitter or something right?
Double Naught Coaching Search.....

Campbell doesn’t have an agent. It would be basically White, Campbell and his wife, ISU AD, and a ISU booster or two if the ISU AD tries to counter. They may not if the offer is $7 million.
But even then, assuming we made that offer and he says yes, you’d think it would still leak through the ISU team so they can get ahead of the fallout. You don’t let a guy like Campbell leave without a huge fight.

Reactions: VolNExile and jmay8
I'd never thought about the order things happen in. ADDW wants the team to hear it first. The new coach will need to resign from his current position. Will ADDW tell the players before the coach resigns? Does the coach have to resign from his old position before accepting the UT job? By announcing to the team (based on a MOU I guess) is he doing so at risk of the contract falling through? I'm sure they have a handle on all this, I just wonder what that process will look like.

VN Store

Back