Coachery

I find it hard to believe we're going after a big name like Campbell only to have our second option be Elliott. That makes zero sense to me. I firmly believe Elliott is not a viable option and has only been mentioned by people who don't know anything and are just guessing. John Brice is a great reporter, but his "scoop" also mentioned Sony Dykes. We aren't through 5-6 million at a guy like Sonny Dykes.

Who really knows.

But if it were me doing a search.

I would try the 1 huge hire. I would throw everything I could and see if it could happen.

Again”if” it were me, I would have a good viable back up plan. One who I have “checked into” and and I “know” would take the job.

I wouldn’t “personally” look or “try” to get 10 different coaches......starting at 1 then possibly going down to 10......just a bad look.

I would have the “one” guy......and a solid backup......and be done with it.

“If” it worked out that way......to me.....Elliot wouldn’t be a bad “second” choice......heck I think he would be a good one.

No it wouldn’t be Campbell (if he declined and it was offered to Elliott) but you also wouldn’t be simply going down a list of coaches and having 5 say no.

You try for the huge hire. If it worked.....awesome.....if not.....you land Elliot. He is “at least” one of the top OC’s out there. He has been a coach for 14 years. He has been an OC and offensive play caller for Clemson for 6+ years. He isn’t Pruitt, he isn’t dumb, he has been at one place for a while.......developing “his” guys.

Sure it wouldn’t be what everyone wants......but “if” this is true......I’m sure White knows what he is doing. He must be very impressed with Elliot.

again.....all this may be for nothing......we don’t know what is really going on.

Again “if” this is going on.....it seems like a real......legit plan, headed by a very competent person, with a proven track record......something is Tennessee fans haven’t t seen in a very long time.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
If it’s between Tony Elliottt and a year of Steele where we recalibrate, what do you all choose?

Elliot and it's not close. I'm not even an Elliot fan, but you have to have direction as a program.

The program will survive even if Elliot doesn't work out and we'll be back to where we are now but without sanctions. But this program absolutely cannot afford to go almost en entire recruiting cycle without there being some idea of who will be the HC in the future. Top Recruits 100% will look elsewhere. We likely would be looking at our lowest rated recruiting class ever. And we'll likely lose many more into the transfer portal in that scenario as well. At that point, our reputation as a top destination school is tarnished even more than what it already is, and we risk falling into recruiting mediocrity. You can be mediocre in coaching and still win (as evidenced by Pruitt's 8 game winning streak). You can be mediocre in recruiting and still win. But you cannot be both mediocre in recruiting and mediocre in coaching and win anything.

We won't really have any better options this time a year from now. We'll be talking about roughly the same group of coaches, most of them pipe dreams, a couple of realistic possibilities, and a bunch of other underwhelming candidates.

What does it say? I am at work
It's a mod on 247 saying that the Iowa State AD said that he is currently "re-negotiating" Matt Campbell's contract and is "finding strategic ways to keep his staff intact". Sounds like we've made him an offer and Iowa State is trying to keep him there.

I think it means campbell done pulled a Gundy
Gundy literally sat down at the table with us. I don't think that's what's happening here. Plus, if the reports are correct that they're all in Atlanta, then this would be mute for ISU if Campbell is the guy. DW wouldn't waste his time sitting down with the HC candidate and the big wigs if it wasn't a done deal.

AV clearly got the STFU memo from Danny and I hate it.
If he is remotely legit, which I doubt, AV's lawyer and/or the school's lawyer should have told him to STFU a long time ago, because he has shared enough data on here in reference to all of the recruits who the investigation allegedly revolves around to give the NCAA a framework to investigate themselves and get himself disassociated. If White did tell AV to STFU, that gives me added confidence in White, it's been an absolute clown show for him to be on here posting the things he does if he's a real booster.

the-breakfast-club-monologue-carl.jpg
“I am the EYES AND EARS of this institution!”

Reactions: FBtime

VN Store

Back