Coachery

Stoerner Fumbles

I’m no insider, but... One of the great BS intros of the forum.

I can share with medium high certainty from a friend who is very inside:

Ansley has done preliminary interviews with pro teams.
Muschamp has interviewed with Pruitt and Fultummy to be DC. May happen. May not.
Chaney does not agree with development trajectory of line or QB. He does not like the amount of cross-training of line, nor their lack of weekly contact or physical regimen. Last year, he intervened and took them over for almost a month. This year he did not. Chaney has spent time with every QB over the last three weeks. He prefers Shrout, but has not liked Weinke’s coaching, or his way of coaching details. Chaney created a simplified playbook and check down scheme, and both Shrout and Bailey did well. Shrout did better. Pruitt is not a fan of Shrout. Something will break here. Also, Chaney has enormous respect for Osovet, but believes he’s being misused. Osovet may go. He’s well liked but a weird fit.
Tee and Pruitt butt heads on WR priorities. Tee is a bit checked out. Tee believes in route specificity, details, and aggressive blocking. He wants receivers to play aggressively like Jennings, and fight CB’s and block. Oddly Pruitt wants speed and height, but fought against overt physicality and high traffic style of last year’s WR’s. Chaney loves passing to the middle, TE drags, and aggressive play against DB’s ala Da’Rick or Juan. Pruitt wants to focus on speed and height, and low risk screens and long routes. Not a fan of back shoulder throws, crossing routes, slants or, TE drags. Hesitant to use slot, and wides over the middle. Many O calls are overridden by Pruitt. Bubble screen with multiple blockers has been called many times by Chaney, overridden by Pruitt, until last night. Chaney is highly adaptable to a variety of head coaching personalities, but is fatigued by Pruitt’s interference in micro-details. If he doesn’t get more control and some staff changes, he might go.

On D, Linebacker body development and technique development has taken a huge step back. Henry T is now too light to hold area, and too slow to cover. Outside LB’s are always caught between run and pass coverage, and are responsible for most blown middle assignments. DB’s are loyal to Ansley, but get mixed signals from him and Pruitt.

Back on O, RB is a happy group. Chaney believes it’s our only fundamental strength. Graham delivers on blocking, ball security, pass patterns and running style. Best position coach on the team. He and Tee are close. They will probably coach together in the future. TE is improving as a group.

Look for Nieds to move, Osovet to move or leave, Ansley to leave, Tee to leave or change role, Graham is looking, Weinke and Friend to leave. Muschamp coming is higher than 50/50, but not by much. Rocker may also return. That’s pure speculation from my friend, but Muschamp believes he’s the best DL coach in D1, and Rocker did not leave here on bad terms.

There is substantial dissatisfaction with Fulmer among a strong group of boosters, and an equally supportive patient group of boosters supporting him. He has everyone in the AD on his side, down to every secretary. He’s supported by Barnes, and key people in state government. Fulmer has support of chancellor and board. While there is some real contempt for Pruitt, it’s highly unlikely that consensus could be formed on firing him. Position coaching changes will happen before holiday break. If there’s a Vanderbilt game, and loss that might be the only straw that could break the camel this year. Otherwise this is the chess board as seen from a friend who sees the show up close.

Last edited:
I’m no insider, but... One of the great BS intros of the forum.

I can share with medium high certainty from a friend who is very inside:

Ansley has done preliminary interviews with pro teams.
Muschamp has interviewed with Pruitt and Fultummy to be DC. May happen. May not.
Chaney does not agree with development trajectory of line or QB. He does not like the amount of cross-training of line, nor their lack of weekly contact or physical regimen. Last year, he intervened and took them over for almost a month. This year he did not. Chaney has spent time with every QB over the last three weeks. He prefers Shrout, but has not liked Weinke’s coaching, or his way of coaching details. Chaney created a simplified playbook and check down scheme, and both Shrout and Bailey did well. Shrout did better. Pruitt is not a fan of Shrout. Something will break here. Also, Chaney has enormous respect for Osovet, but believes he’s being misused. Osovet may go. He’s well liked but a weird fit.
Tee and Pruitt butt heads on WR priorities. Tee is a bit checked out. Tee believes in route specificity, details, and aggressive blocking. He wants receivers to play aggressively like Jennings, and fight CB’s and block. Oddly Pruitt wants speed and height, but fought against overt physicality and high traffic style of last year’s WR’s. Chaney loves passing to the middle, TE drags, and aggressive play against DB’s ala Da’Rick or Juan. Pruitt wants to focus on speed and height, and low risk screens and long routes. Not a fan of back shoulder throws, crossing routes, slants or, TE drags. Hesitant to use slot, and wides over the middle. Many O calls are overridden by Pruitt. Bubble screen with multiple blockers has been called many times by Chaney, overridden by Pruitt, until last night. Chaney is highly adaptable to a variety of head coaching personalities, but is fatigued by Pruitt’s interference in micro-details. If he doesn’t get more control and some staff changes, he might go.

On D, Linebacker body development and technique development has taken a huge step back. Henry T is now too light to hold area, and too slow to cover. Outside LB’s are always caught between run and pass coverage, and are responsible for most blown middle assignments. DB’s are loyal to Ansley, but get mixed signals from him and Pruitt.

Back on O, RB is a happy group. Chaney believes it’s our only fundamental strength. Graham delivers on blocking, ball security, pass patterns and running style. Best position coach on the team. He and Tee are close. They will probably coach together in the future. TE is improving as a group.

Look for Nieds to move, Osovet to move or leave, Ansley to leave, Tee to leave or change role, Weinke and Friend to leave. Muschamp coming is higher than 50/50, but not by much. Rocker may also return. That’s pure speculation from my friend, but Muschamp believes he’s the best DL coach in D1, and Rocker did not leave here on bad terms.

There is substantial dissatisfaction with Fulmer among a strong group of boosters, and an equally supportive patient group of boosters supporting him. He has everyone in the AD on his side, down to every secretary. He’s supported by Barnes, and key people in state government. Fulmer has support of chancellor and board. While there is some real contempt for Pruitt, it’s highly unlikely that consensus could be formed on firing him. Position coaching changes will happen before holiday break. If there’s a Vanderbilt game, and loss that might be the only straw that could break the camel this year. Otherwise this is the chess board as seen from a friend who sees the show up close.
So much of that rings true with exactly what we’re seeing on the field. Thanks for sharing.

In short, we've got a poor man's Mike DuBose running things at Tennessee.

You could turn on a time machine and give him Don Coryell as his offensive coordinator and General Neyland as his defensive coordinator and he would still find a way to screw things up.

I would be surprised to see Muschamp coaching in Knoxville. I do not see how this will not be a cluster this time next year. I think they will add the 4 OOC patsies and win a SEC game or two and tell the fan base, Look we are back. Sorry, ain’t buying it.

I’m absolutely on board with Muschamp and Rocker working together...who do we get to replace Weinke?
Hire a real lb coach. Chaney should replace Weinke, Nieds back to TE, make Osovet something like Co-OC or passing coordinator.

Chaney not coaching QBs is outright malpractice by Pruitt.

Most of all, keep Pruitt away from the offense. He should treat it exactly like Spurrier did defense.

I would be surprised to see Muschamp coaching in Knoxville. I do not see how this will not be a cluster this time next year. I think they will add the 4 OOC patsies and win a SEC game or two and tell the fan base, Look we are back. Sorry, ain’t buying it.
I can’t tell you odds, but the talks have happened. Pruitt and Muschamp have the closest friendship of any two SEC coaches. Sexton is making a strong push for the move to UT. If he doesn’t DC for us, he will somewhere in the SEC. The numbers are too easy. SC pays for a 1mm DC. What’s not to like?

Well some of that could be believable until you got to the Barnes supports Fulmer part. That is - well - that is definitely false. Barnes cannot stand Fulmer. They don't speak unless it's absolutely necessary.

There's some boosters that still can pull the strings and get Coach Gomer out of here if they want. It's not been decided yet so anyone who says that he's back beyond a shadow of a doubt is 100% inaccurate. He might be, but that decision DEFINITELY has not been made yet.

I can’t tell you odds, but the talks have happened. Pruitt and Muschamp have the closest friendship of any two SEC coaches. Sexton is making a strong push for the move to UT. If he doesn’t DC for us, he will somewhere in the SEC. The numbers are too easy. SC pays for a 1mm DC. What’s not to like?

Of course they have. Kiffin and Pruitt have said recently that they are on group text with Kirby and Muschamp. I find it hard to believe that Muschamp isn’t working for one of those 3 guys. He automatically upgrades the DC position at all 3 schools

VN Store

Back