Coach V says "There's a storm rising around here."

This is a really cool story of a kid who paid attention and studied the game.

One correction, though, related to the motion in the pitcher’s delivery that should have been a dead giveaway, and I’m surprised the analyst who discussed it postgame didn’t clarify his statement of “98% of the time…”. If the pitcher’s lead foot crosses the back edge of the rubber during his leg lift, then he HAS to deliver the pitch. There is no 98%. An attempt to pick off the runner at 1B (or 3B) would result in a balk at that moment. The only time that rule doesn’t apply is an attempt to pick off someone at 2B.
While you are 100% correct on the balk rule, the balk call relies heavily on the home plate umpire seeing the balk to make that call. So I think 98% is probably more accurate and it may even be generous, especially for college umps.

While you are 100% correct on the balk rule, the balk call relies heavily on the home plate umpire seeing the balk to make that call. So I think 98% is probably more accurate and it may even be generous, especially for college umps.

The base guy will usually get this one if anyone does. The plate guy is going to have a hard time telling if the foot crosses over. In 2 man it will be harder for the base guy to see it.

I'm only talking about the spirit of the rule. The way I interpreted his comment was to say that it was up to the pitcher's discretion as to whether he WANTED to deliver the pitch 98% of the time, as if to suggest he had an option to legally attempt a pick-off the other 2%. Legally, as soon as his foot crosses the back of the rubber, he HAS to deliver the pitch.

Now, that's the written letter of the rule.
Does that go uncalled, especially at lower levels where you aren't afforded 4 umpires? Absolutely. And at those levels, the plate umpire and field umpire have a more difficult time seeing it unless it is really pronounced.

This is a really cool story of a kid who paid attention and studied the game.

One correction, though, related to the motion in the pitcher’s delivery that should have been a dead giveaway, and I’m surprised the analyst who discussed it postgame didn’t clarify his statement of “98% of the time…”. If the pitcher’s lead foot crosses the back edge of the rubber during his leg lift, then he HAS to deliver the pitch. There is no 98%. An attempt to pick off the runner at 1B (or 3B) would result in a balk at that moment. The only time that rule doesn’t apply is an attempt to pick off someone at 2B.
I was waiting on someone to mention that. Good catch.

So much of what happens in the innings 6+ is directly dictated by decisions made in the previous 5. Seeing that play out is half the fun of watching baseball.

Agree .. an opposing pitcher might be stacking zeros but competitive ABs run up the pitch count or gets us to the third time through the lineup etc

You never know when that breaking point will be where one team strings together timely hits or barrels up a mistake

The more you watch baseball, and learn the game the more you love the game. My son started playing baseball at 3-1/2 yrs. old through high school. He played catcher.

As he got older and started calling the game I was able to ask questions about certain situations, what the signal was, what the play was supposed to be, etc. I learned a tremendous amount through him as he was learning. He played for 6 coaches that had major league experience. The exposure that kids have today is fantastic.

There truly are many games inside the game. Things the average fan doesn't appreciate. There's a lot of poker faces and guessing that goes on. Sometimes as fans you don't know (they don't want it out) that a pitcher might not be available for some reason. Locating the ball low to force a grounder so a double play is in play. As simple as watching an on deck batter to see how he swings so that you recognize which pitch he can't hit because of a flaw in his swing. At 14 years old the kids in the dugout learn to watch everything.

Because there isn't a timer, and you have to get 27 outs to win anything can happen. Just look at the regionals this year. To win the game you have to face the next batter until there are 27 outs. The more you watch you will see something that you have never seen, and may never see again. When I was younger, I didn't have the patients to watch baseball, it was fun to play, but not watch. Understanding the game more and more makes it the best sport in my book. Not everyone gets it. But as they say, Baseball is a smart persons sport.

At 12 years old my son was playing travel ball. His coach told the team that he will signal them when he wants them to steal a base, but if they think they can make it, or if they see something go on their own. My son singled and on the second pitch stole second. He went on to score a run on a double. We won by one run in the end. The coach made a point to bring up Quinn in the post game talk. He asked him what he saw that made him steal. He pointed out that he manufactured a run. My son is not the fastest runner by any means. When the coach asked, I thought to myself this is going to be good.

Quinn said my Dad and I were watching the Braves play, Dad went to bed and I stayed up to watch the talk show after the game. The MLB host pointed out that if a pitchers foot crosses the rubber when he is in his wind up, he's throwing to the plate 98% of the time. I watched the first pitch, the pitchers foot crossed the rubber, he threw to the plate. On the second pitch, as soon as his foot crossed the rubber, I was gone.

The coach looked at me is shear astonishment. I shrugged and said, I went to bed. It was proud Dad moment. The coach went on to talk about watching the games to learn the game. There's a reason there are so many stats and tendency trends in baseball. I love the game.

Another "game within the game "

I’ve been a baseball enthusiast long before football or basketball or golf. For baseball you simply MUST follow the flow of the game to fully understand what’s happening at any given moment. And some simply aren’t that interested to do that. It is without question(at least to me) the most cerebral sport we play. Games within games on every level. Talent, while really important, can’t rule baseball without having an understanding of the game! I love a 1-0 pitchers duel…and I love a 20 run game with the game being won by 1 run and a closer putting out the fire. But hey…that’s just me!

I absolutely can’t stand that. The higher seated team should always be the home team

Quite agree. Tennessee played three games in the regional and was the visiting team twice. This really seemed like punishment for being the higher ranked team. This should be corrected. I understand that the winner of the first bracket in the second game would have to play as the visitor twice, but that should be the "problem" of being the lower seed. What happened at this regional is not fair to the No 1 seed. It may be part of the reason that no #1 seed has made it to the championship rounds the last number of years.

College baseball >>> college basketball. The only thing holding it back has been exposure.

The format of baseball’s postseason is perfect. Basketball relies on one game flukes in March for its appeal.

Are you saying you don’t enjoy midweek bowl games between a MAC team and a CUSA team sponsored by a company that makes lawn mowers?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Quite agree. Tennessee played three games in the regional and was the visiting team twice. This really seemed like punishment for being the higher ranked team. This should be corrected. I understand that the winner of the first bracket in the second game would have to play as the visitor twice, but that should be the "problem" of being the lower seed. What happened at this regional is not fair to the No 1 seed. It may be part of the reason that no #1 seed has made it to the championship rounds the last number of years.
. I agree it might be the reason.Let’s hope that changes this year

The more you watch baseball, and learn the game the more you love the game. My son started playing baseball at 3-1/2 yrs. old through high school. He played catcher.

As he got older and started calling the game I was able to ask questions about certain situations, what the signal was, what the play was supposed to be, etc. I learned a tremendous amount through him as he was learning. He played for 6 coaches that had major league experience. The exposure that kids have today is fantastic.

There truly are many games inside the game. Things the average fan doesn't appreciate. There's a lot of poker faces and guessing that goes on. Sometimes as fans you don't know (they don't want it out) that a pitcher might not be available for some reason. Locating the ball low to force a grounder so a double play is in play. As simple as watching an on deck batter to see how he swings so that you recognize which pitch he can't hit because of a flaw in his swing. At 14 years old the kids in the dugout learn to watch everything.

Because there isn't a timer, and you have to get 27 outs to win anything can happen. Just look at the regionals this year. To win the game you have to face the next batter until there are 27 outs. The more you watch you will see something that you have never seen, and may never see again. When I was younger, I didn't have the patients to watch baseball, it was fun to play, but not watch. Understanding the game more and more makes it the best sport in my book. Not everyone gets it. But as they say, Baseball is a smart persons sport.

At 12 years old my son was playing travel ball. His coach told the team that he will signal them when he wants them to steal a base, but if they think they can make it, or if they see something go on their own. My son singled and on the second pitch stole second. He went on to score a run on a double. We won by one run in the end. The coach made a point to bring up Quinn in the post game talk. He asked him what he saw that made him steal. He pointed out that he manufactured a run. My son is not the fastest runner by any means. When the coach asked, I thought to myself this is going to be good.

Quinn said my Dad and I were watching the Braves play, Dad went to bed and I stayed up to watch the talk show after the game. The MLB host pointed out that if a pitchers foot crosses the rubber when he is in his wind up, he's throwing to the plate 98% of the time. I watched the first pitch, the pitchers foot crossed the rubber, he threw to the plate. On the second pitch, as soon as his foot crossed the rubber, I was gone.

The coach looked at me is shear astonishment. I shrugged and said, I went to bed. It was proud Dad moment. The coach went on to talk about watching the games to learn the game. There's a reason there are so many stats and tendency trends in baseball. I love the game.

There is a book out there written by Keith Hernandez that I encourage anyone who loves baseball and wants to learn what really goes on inside the game to read it. It’s called “Pure Baseball”. Keith dissects every pitch from 2 separate games. If you haven’t read it, it’s a treat. I hope you all enjoy!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back