Coach Summitt video

mcannon1

It made me both smile and tear up. The worst was her turning away from the floor after her last loss. Knowing since Hart had already fired her that she had coached her last game. Heartbreaking. She put her head up though. Many happy shots in the video also. 3 years ago today she went on up to heaven.

OP, you sure Dave Hart was really in enough control at that point to be "firing" HER? He certainly didn't have the power to make the followup hire.

It made me both smile and tear up. The worst was her turning away from the floor after her last loss. Knowing since Hart had already fired her that she had coached her last game. Heartbreaking. She put her head up though. Many happy shots in the video also. 3 years ago today she went on up to heaven.

Why in the world would Hart fire her? Did I miss something? I thought that she retired for health reasons.

Reactions: savannahfan
Dave Hart fired her. She wanted to coach 1 more year and have Tyler as a graduate assistant. Hart told her before the season ended that this was her last year; and that Holly would be the new coach. If anyone tells you differently, just know that person does not know what s/he is talking about. He did make her coach emeritus. Saved his own skin that way. Also saved the athletic dept. lots of money.

Last edited:
Dave Hart fired her. She wanted to coach 1 more year and have Tyler as a graduate assistant. He told her before the season ended that this was her last year; and that Holly would be the new coach. If anyone tells you differently, just know that person does not know what s/he is talking about. He did make her coach emeritus. Saved his own skin that way. Also saved the athletic dept. lots of money.
And, I think Hart saved Pat from some awkwardly embarrassing moments that would have been inevitable during that "1 more year".

Remember cutting through Stokley one time heading back from class and Lady Vols were practicing (this was back in early 90's). I heard all sorts of screaming and yelling. Almost sounded like basic training for Navy SEALS.

One thing Holly never learned was how to handle the players and let them know who was in charge. Pat had no problem letting players know it was her way or they could hit the road or the hit the bench.

She was one in a million, a legend and a hero to an untold number of people, including me.

Reactions: mcannon1
Remember cutting through Stokley one time heading back from class and Lady Vols were practicing (this was back in early 90's). I heard all sorts of screaming and yelling. Almost sounded like basic training for Navy SEALS.

One thing Holly never learned was how to handle the players and let them know who was in charge. Pat had no problem letting players know it was her way or they could hit the road or the hit the bench.
Pat Summitt was a leader and people followed. She gave her all and demanded the same from her players. Her coaching instincts and knowledge, combined with strength of character were incomparable.

Reactions: Bigun

VN Store

Back